A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Color Platforms for Top Hat/XCSoar

Old May 31st 18, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Color Platforms for Top Hat/XCSoar

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 12:44:45 PM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 9:26:55 AM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 6:52:40 PM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:
I have a Galaxy 5S with an AMOLED screen which is supposed to be great in direct sunlight, but it is not nearly as visible in direct sunlight as my sold Streak was. Are the LCD screens any better? Are the newer AMOLD screens better than the earlier generation AMOLD screens?

Yes, newer AMOLED screens are definitely brighter. They get brighter and brighter every year, and they are certainly brighter than LCD screens.

Screen Brightness has little to do with sunlight readability. A very bright backlight will make a Poor screen sort of readable in the sun.

True Sunlight readable displays have a very high contrast ratio, and two specialized coatings anti-glare and anti-reflective. If a display has these features brightness is not a factor.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Uh? Suppose that the light coming from the screen is at level 1000 in the white areas and 1 in the black areas. Good contrast in a dark room. Now add 10,000 units of sunshine. If the screen reflects even only 10% of that, the "black" areas are now 1001 and the white areas 2000 - contrast gone to hell. Brightness matters.

That's why I'm using a device with an e-ink purely-reflective display: in that case, more incident light does not change the contrast at all.
Old May 31st 18, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 9:52:08 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I have a Galaxy 5S with an AMOLED screen which is supposed to be great in direct sunlight, but it is not nearly as visible in direct sunlight as my sold Streak was. Are the LCD screens any better? Are the newer AMOLD screens better than the earlier generation AMOLD screens?

Yes, newer AMOLED screens are definitely brighter. They get brighter and brighter every year, and they are certainly brighter than LCD screens.

Screen Brightness has little to do with sunlight readability. A very bright backlight will make a Poor screen sort of readable in the sun.

True Sunlight readable displays have a very high contrast ratio, and two specialized coatings anti-glare and anti-reflective. If a display has these features brightness is not a factor.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Uh? Suppose that the light coming from the screen is at level 1000 in the white areas and 1 in the black areas. Good contrast in a dark room. Now add 10,000 units of sunshine. If the screen reflects even only 10% of that, the "black" areas are now 1001 and the white areas 2000 - contrast gone to hell. Brightness matters.

That's why I'm using a device with an e-ink purely-reflective display: in that case, more incident light does not change the contrast at all.

moshe,

I have been building flight computers since 2008. The Craggy Aero Ultimate, Ultimate Le, Ultimate Le 57. My first sale was to a customer that saw the display in my glider, the display was in the shade no direct sunlight, colors looked great. Then he said turn the glider so the sun is on the screen. I turned the glider and there was a shade line from the panel cover on the panel but it was not seen on the display. Then I turned down the backlight little change, shade line still not visible on the display. A true sunlight readable display. It has the following specifications extremely high contrast ratio, two specialized coatings and an adjustable backlight. Brightness matters but as not much as you think, the glare and the reflection is the biggest problem.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old May 31st 18, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 10:54:39 AM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

Yes, newer AMOLED screens are definitely brighter. They get brighter and brighter every year, and they are certainly brighter than LCD screens..

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

moshe,

I have been building flight computers since 2008. The Craggy Aero Ultimate, Ultimate Le, Ultimate Le 57. My first sale was to a customer that saw the display in my glider, the display was in the shade no direct sunlight, colors looked great. Then he said turn the glider so the sun is on the screen. I turned the glider and there was a shade line from the panel cover on the panel but it was not seen on the display. Then I turned down the backlight little change, shade line still not visible on the display. A true sunlight readable display. It has the following specifications extremely high contrast ratio, two specialized coatings and an adjustable backlight. Brightness matters but as not much as you think, the glare and the reflection is the biggest problem.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Or look at the YouTube on this page to see for yourself.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimates.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old May 31st 18, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 1:54:39 PM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

Yes, newer AMOLED screens are definitely brighter. They get brighter and brighter every year, and they are certainly brighter than LCD screens..

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

moshe,

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Is your display reflective? I.e., if you were to turn the backlight completely off and shown a flashlight on it, could you see the info on the screen clearly? Then that's not what I am talking about. Rather, I am talking about display types that have no backlight but rather each pixel generates its own light. I believe all recent model cellphones are like that. With enough ambient light, these displays lose contrast.
Old May 31st 18, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I have a Nexus 7 which would also work for running the program but
it's absolutely useless in direct sunlight.Â* I considered making a
sun shade for it, but found THIS

I use the Nexus 7 all the time and never have a sunlight issue - Are you positive you went into setting and have it manually set to full brightness?

The default allows the tablet to adjust.... it needs to be set on full. Best $130 bucks I have spent.

I have 2 Nexus 7's and both work great!

WH
Old May 31st 18, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Thanks, I'll try that!

I just tried the sunshade outside in the NM sunshine and it works well.Â*
I think I'll start it up again, check the brightness, and go back
outside.Â* I'll report back.

On 5/31/2018 2:12 PM, wrote:
I have a Nexus 7 which would also work for running the program but
it's absolutely useless in direct sunlight.Â* I considered making a
sun shade for it, but found THIS

I use the Nexus 7 all the time and never have a sunlight issue - Are you positive you went into setting and have it manually set to full brightness?

The default allows the tablet to adjust.... it needs to be set on full. Best $130 bucks I have spent.

WH

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 31st 18, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

How does the sunshade impact your ability to use it as a touchscreen device? I worry that it would be more awkward, especially when trying to brace your hand against the bezel to steady your finger as it selects a screen element.

But I haven't tried it.

Chip Bearden
Old May 31st 18, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

That worked really well!Â* Not as bright as my ClearNav, but certainly
readable.Â* With my sunshade installed it should really work well.

I was really tired the glacially slow performance of the Nexus 7 2012
with Android 5.1.1 so I found a way to root it and then flashed a pared
down custom ROM.Â* It now boots in 40 seconds, has no bloatware, and is
really fast.Â* The ROM is SLIMKat.Â* Look it up if you're a tinkerer.

On 5/31/2018 3:41 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Thanks, I'll try that!

I just tried the sunshade outside in the NM sunshine and it works
well.Â* I think I'll start it up again, check the brightness, and go
back outside.Â* I'll report back.

On 5/31/2018 2:12 PM, wrote:
Â*Â*Â*Â* I have a Nexus 7 which would also work for running the program but
Â*Â*Â*Â* it's absolutely useless in direct sunlight.Â* I considered making a
Â*Â*Â*Â* sun shade for it, but found THIS

I use the Nexus 7 all the time and never have a sunlight issue - Are
you positive you went into setting and have it manually set to full
brightness?

The default allows the tablet to adjust.... it needs to be set on
full. Best $130 bucks I have spent.

WH

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 31st 18, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

You have to reach in pretty deeply but that shouldn't be much of a
problem for my application.Â* I plan to run Avare on it and feed that
from an XGPS-170 WAAS GPS and dual band ADS-B In receiver.Â* This will be
in my Stemme and I can set it up before takeoff and never touch it again
throughout the flight.Â* If I needed to manipulate it a lot, the bottom
section of the screen is removable which would allow my whole hand to
get in there.Â* Unfortunately, my Stemme is down following a prop strike
and it may be a while before it gets back in the air.Â* Waiting on parts...

On 5/31/2018 3:48 PM, wrote:
How does the sunshade impact your ability to use it as a touchscreen device? I worry that it would be more awkward, especially when trying to brace your hand against the bezel to steady your finger as it selects a screen element.

But I haven't tried it.

Chip Bearden

--
Dan, 5J
Old June 5th 18, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 1:23:30 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 1:54:39 PM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

moshe,

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Is your display reflective? I.e., if you were to turn the backlight completely off and shown a flashlight on it, could you see the info on the screen clearly? Then that's not what I am talking about. Rather, I am talking about display types that have no backlight but rather each pixel generates its own light. I believe all recent model cellphones are like that. With enough ambient light, these displays lose contrast.

Took a chance and bought a Sony Xperia Z3 as it was suggested to be very good in direct sunlight. It does work very well and is equivalent to my wife's Samsung S8+. Open box new for $130.00. Thank you everyone for advice and info.

Mike