Self launch ultra-light sailplane

Old September 27th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Self launch ultra-light sailplane

Ok, I said I'd do this for a friend who is building his own
ultralight. He wants to design and build( me helping) a sailpalne that
fits the ultralight rules and is able to launch/sustain with a power
unit, he'd prefer electric. Any ideas or comments? Is ther anything
already out there being tried? Just remember I'm the messenger!

larry ( what am I doing) johnson

Old September 27th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Tell him to look up the Sparrowhawk and its powered
unit, the Aeros AL-12, the Apis, the Alisport Silent,
and the Pipestrel Virus. Personally, I wouldn't volunteer
to help.

Old September 27th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Ward[_1_]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok, I said I'd do this for a friend who is building his own
ultralight. He wants to design and build( me helping) a sailpalne that
fits the ultralight rules and is able to launch/sustain with a power
unit, he'd prefer electric. Any ideas or comments? Is ther anything
already out there being tried? Just remember I'm the messenger!

larry ( what am I doing) johnson

What kind of performance does he require? You might try taking a look at
Mike Sandlin's Basic Ultralight Glider page.
He uses bolt-together and rivet-together aluminum tube and cable
construction with some foam and a conventional fabric covering. His are all
out-in-the open flying, but a more conventional fuselage could probably be
built.
It's hang glider performance, but it can stay up all day, and it's cheap.
He doesn't offer plans, but he does document what he's done with very
detailed drawings, which are on his website.
http://home.att.net/~m--sandlin/bug.htm

Tim Ward

Old September 27th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

Also have a look at this new high tech bird: http://www.ruppert-composite.ch/english/index.html
It.s categorized as a Class 2 hanglider but at 28:1 and a min sink of
87 fpm and a Vne of 81mph it'll outperform a Ka-6 on weak to regular
days and fly when nothing else stays up. They are thinking about
fitting an engine as well but you got other self launch options like
running off a hill, bungee self launch etc. thanks to an ingenious
design and a weight of only 100 lbs. Very interesting concept.

Markus Graeber

Old September 27th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adam

On Sep 26, 8:55 pm, wrote:
Ok, I said I'd do this for a friend who is building his own
ultralight. He wants to design and build( me helping) a sailpalne that
fits the ultralight rules and is able to launch/sustain with a power
unit, he'd prefer electric. Any ideas or comments? Is ther anything
already out there being tried? Just remember I'm the messenger!

larry ( what am I doing) johnson

Could this be your friend, by chance?
V.1.0
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645386

V.2.0
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661615

Bright kid but would not listen to anyone no matter how qualified,
took it all personally, and never got past the spar design.

/Adam

Old September 27th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Markus Graeber wrote:
Also have a look at this new high tech bird: http://www.ruppert-composite.ch/english/index.html
It.s categorized as a Class 2 hanglider but at 28:1 and a min sink of
87 fpm and a Vne of 81mph it'll outperform a Ka-6 on weak to regular
days and fly when nothing else stays up. They are thinking about
fitting an engine as well but you got other self launch options like
running off a hill, bungee self launch etc. thanks to an ingenious
design and a weight of only 100 lbs. Very interesting concept.

Roger is a clever guy and an excellent craftsman with balsa and
composites. I knew him when he was flying the F1A and F1B free flight
model classes and was always impressed with his models.

But back to ultralights. Take a look at the ULF-1 he http://www.eel.de/

One or two of my fanatical woodworking friends would like to make and
fly one. No engine, though.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 27th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Check out the powered swift http://www.aeriane.com/
This is the most popular motorized ultralight sailplane/hang glider
and exists for many years.

Ramy