Peeing in a condom catheter with a leg bag, David Sedaris has a humorous take on it.

Old January 3rd 09, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_4_]

Default Peeing in a condom catheter with a leg bag.

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 07:50:47 -0600, Paul Remde wrote:

Hi Martin,

I have the Colder CPC fittings on my web site. I also give some advice
on which ones to use. Shipping to the U.K. for those very lightweight
items is inexpensive if you use USPS 1st Class International Airmail -
around $5. http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/cpc.htm

Thanks, Paul, I'll bear that in mind.

My Libelle has a pee outlet, complete with cute draft-zapping wooden
plug, installed behind the stick, so its about time I got round to making
up the rest of the system before the next season starts.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 3rd 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

I put together a how-to web site which you might find interesting.
Any comments/corrections/complaints are appreciated.

http://derosaweb.net/aviation/relief

Regards, John "My $0.02" DeRosa
Old January 3rd 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 3, 10:37*am, ContestID67 wrote:
I put together a how-to web site which you might find interesting.
Any comments/corrections/complaints are appreciated.

http://derosaweb.net/aviation/relief

Regards, John "My $0.02" DeRosa

Nice guide:

I use a hybrid approach. I have both a factory pee tube and carry a
urilogical leg bag that I stow behind my right elbow when in use. I
carry the biggest bag I can find so I have every incentive to hydrate
before and during the flight. Out west where we can get pretty high
the cooler temps will cause your body to expel more fluid and the
bigger bags don't take any extra space rolled up. On the occasions
when I fill the bag I have a separate hose from the bag dump valve to
the pee tube that runs overboard. The nice thing about this
arrangement is that you don't have to try to fly, hold the gear
halfway down and pee all at the same time. Also, you can pee in a
thermal or wherever you like without having to worry about who's below
you. At least for me I find it a lot faster and less stressful to
empty a bag than to empty my bladder so I spend less time flailing
around with the gear down - plus I have to empty the bag maybe once
per flight versus often multiple times for my bladder. Only once have
I forgotten to re-close the bag dump valve - it was a good learning
experience.

With another hose it's possible to flush drinking water through the
pee tube system to keep urine from siphoning into the gear well after
use. I won't explain the details, but suffuce to say there are simpler
versus more complex ways to accomplish this task depending on how
squeamish you are. I also recommend the self-sealing quick connect
fittings to avoid spills. Wings and Wheels stocks them - perhaps other
soaring supplies dealers as well.

Maybe I'm cheap, or averse to pain "down there", but I don't don the
catheter until I need to use it the first time in flight. As I get
older this practice is increasingly the victory of hope over
experience, but I don't find it that hard to don the catheter in
flight and it avoids awkward encounters with ground personnel - as
well as avoidable wincing after the flight should I not have the need.

Here are some sites that I have used and appear to have decent
prices. Keep in mind that the manufacturers will send you free
samples if you make a request on their web sites. This can help you
confirm sizing or evaluate other human factors before committing to a
quantity purchase.

http://www.allegromedical.com

http://www.exmed.net

Coming up with a "no fuss" system has made a huge difference in my
enjoyment of cross-country soaring. If you don't have a system, or
aren't totally happy with the system you have I highly recommend you
put some energy into devising one. Years ago I carried ziploc bags and
would limit fluid intake to avoid the hassle. One stupid offield
landing in a dehydrated stupor cured me of that.

9B
Old January 3rd 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_4_]

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 10:37:45 -0800, ContestID67 wrote:

I put together a how-to web site which you might find interesting. Any
comments/corrections/complaints are appreciated.

http://derosaweb.net/aviation/relief

Thanks for that. Your advice goes well with Darryl's construction HOWTO:
the two articles complement each other nicely.

BTW, the Mentor people have changed their website so their catheter
measurement scale is no longer accessible, but the Hollister one is still
down-loadable.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Sedaris on soaring (accidentally) [email protected] Soaring 0 March 10th 08 03:14 AM
Support David Hicks in his hardest last few days , join David HicksFan Club kangarooistan Owning 4 December 27th 07 12:48 AM
Catheter question 303SAM Soaring 18 May 15th 06 08:10 AM
HUMOROUS ANECDOTES [email protected] Soaring 16 October 21st 05 11:59 PM
Humorous Naval Air Flight Experiences W. D. Allen Sr. Naval Aviation 55 February 8th 05 02:42 PM