A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

FES Possibilty

Old October 17th 19, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default FES Possibilty

Message to me from LZ:

I would like to inform you that we have a possibility to retrofit 2-3 ASW27/29 during this winter. We are willing to help with organizing and coordinating the joint transport and customs procedures connected to sending the fuselages to us and back.
The transportation would need to happen in a month the latest, to catch the next season, already flying with FES
I was wondering whether you are still interested in the retrofit and if you maybe would like to have more information (or maybe even be interested in sending the fuselage to us this winter)?
Thank you very much for your answer.
Kind regards,
Ana Bencak

LZ design, d.o.o.,
Brod 3D| Logatec | Slovenia

Tel.: +386 5 9948898

email: Ana Bencak

www.LZdesign.si
www.front-electric-sustainer.com

Old October 17th 19, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default FES Possibilty

Does anyone know if the FES retro-fit results in the reduction of the fully forward position of the rudder pedals? Us tall pilots cannot fit if we cannot get the rudder pedals all the way forward.

Thanks,
Tony
Old October 17th 19, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default FES Possibilty

On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 2:46:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Does anyone know if the FES retro-fit results in the reduction of the fully forward position of the rudder pedals? Us tall pilots cannot fit if we cannot get the rudder pedals all the way forward.

Thanks,
Tony

My recollection is that it does slightly reduce forward Adjustment, but not sure how much.
UH
Old October 18th 19, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Keith Schwab[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default FES Possibilty

Hello!
Did LZ provide an estimate for the cost of conversion? Curious if they have a preference which glider is better suited for this retrofit?
Thank you,
Keith
Old October 18th 19, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default FES Possibilty

On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 1:15:53 PM UTC-4, Keith Schwab wrote:
Hello!
Did LZ provide an estimate for the cost of conversion? Curious if they have a preference which glider is better suited for this retrofit?
Thank you,
Keith

There is no meaningful difference between a 27 and a 29 for this conversion, except 29, if only equipped with nose hook, would require adding a tow hook.
Last cost, a good while ago, was "around" 30,000 Euro.
Contact for more info is above.
UH
Old November 4th 19, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default FES Possibilty

It is worth mentioning that the 27 and 29 are capable of self launching with FES.
See https://www.facebook.com/SeanTiff7T/...3134757352480/
So for about 30K you can convert your 27/29 to a pretty reliable electric motorglider.
I am considering this option but probably not this winter.
If any shipment from US (in particular west coast) to Europe is planned I would like to know about it.

Ramy
Old November 4th 19, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default FES Possibilty

On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 11:09:17 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
It is worth mentioning that the 27 and 29 are capable of self launching with FES.
See https://www.facebook.com/SeanTiff7T/...3134757352480/
So for about 30K you can convert your 27/29 to a pretty reliable electric motorglider.
I am considering this option but probably not this winter.
If any shipment from US (in particular west coast) to Europe is planned I would like to know about it.

Ramy

Ship shown is a special version with additional battery cells to provide higher voltage, thus more power. Also, I think it has a different prop. I would assume this is an option that can be ordered, but the question should be asked. Note that, for 27 and 29, it is only suitable for paved sites due to low prop clearance. One tail wheel bounce on a rough field and the prop is broken. I watched FP launch and it got out quite well.
FWIW
UH
UH
Old November 4th 19, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default FES Possibilty

In Francois's it reduced the forward movement by 1 notch in the rudder pedal adjustment. I was lined up next to him for the grid at Bermuda high. It had a bigger prop than the sustainers and yes as UH said very important not to have the tail come up on take off due to about 4-6" of clearance with tail on the ground.

CH