Visulalizing the Finish Cylinder

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 20th 05, 06:58 PM

Default Visulalizing the Finish Cylinder

OK, it's clear people aren't seeing cylinder finish dynamics very well,
except for JJ who believes the fastest distance between two points
involves sneaking up from behind. ...Smile...

The picture I've linked shows the problem. I still need someone to
explain why this is inherently safer. Note that I have no trouble
assessing my energy state and deciding early whether to take a rolling
or flying finish. I am also capable of integrating myself with other
high speed traffic transitioning to the traffic pattern. I consider all
pilots capable of learning these skills.

However, I, like everyone esle, am unable to see through those parts of
my glider that aren't made of plexiglass. My biggest concern in any
type of finish environment is to see and be seen. It seems to me that
the cylinder becomes much more dangerous by introducing an even greater
disparity in airspeed at the finish arc, increasing the likelihood that
I will fail to see or be seen by traffic. And the traffic I'm most
likely to hit will have the greatest difference in speed.

Here's a link so you can see what I'm looking at...

ahref="http://users.adelphia.net/~cocallag/masatask/rasfinishcylinder.htm"http://users.adelphia.net/~cocallag/masatask/rasfinishcylinder.htm/a

OC

Seniors Contest Bob Fidler Soaring 68 March 17th 05 03:50 AM
Why does the Sporting code require "Goal" to be a finish point??? Mark Zivley Soaring 31 October 18th 04 10:31 PM
TAT scoring question Mark Zivley Soaring 34 September 6th 04 04:55 AM
Carbon Fiber - Achieving Glossy Finish w/o GelCoat RKT Home Built 7 March 8th 04 06:15 AM
Start Anywhere Cylinder (SSA rules proposal) Mark Navarre Soaring 15 September 25th 03 01:13 PM