One coat paint for aluminum?

Old September 13th 04, 04:36 PM

Default One coat paint for aluminum?

Howdy,

I'm building a Savannah, and I want to keep the weight down. I'm only
planning to paint some odd shapes on the plane and leave the rest bare
aluminum. Since the plane is a simple, crude little creature, I can't see
spending a bunch of time and money on these paint accents.

So my question is: Can you direct me to a source of paint for aluminum that
does not need a primer, but just sprays right on the metal?

thanks,
tom pettit
Old September 13th 04, 04:53 PM
Bushy

Will anodising work for this?

It does provide some corrosion protection.

Does anyone know?

Peter

Old September 13th 04, 07:56 PM

In article , "Bushy"
wrote:

Anodizing is a wet electrolytic process that requires tanks and all sorts of
fancy stuff. Definitely too much work and expense for what I'm contemplating.

thanks for the idea, though,

tom

Old September 13th 04, 07:58 PM

In article , Darrel Toepfer wrote:

I want to cover more area than a rub on would be likely to find. Also, some
compound curves would be tough to do. Thanks for the idea. Where would one
go to get this, if I want to add some smaller accents?

tom

Rub on vinyl decals seem to be the easiest to do...

Old September 14th 04, 08:26 AM
Cam

Try good old acrylic house paint, give it rub with some fine sand paper ,
clean surface with meths, and WALLAH.
I've had people paint their aluminium boats with this stuff and it's a real
"****" to get off for any welding job!
And that is with no prep at all.
Handles the knocks aswell.

Cheers Cam

Old September 14th 04, 01:50 PM
plasticguy

wrote in message
Howdy,

I'm building a Savannah, and I want to keep the weight down. I'm only
planning to paint some odd shapes on the plane and leave the rest bare
aluminum. Since the plane is a simple, crude little creature, I can't see
spending a bunch of time and money on these paint accents.

So my question is: Can you direct me to a source of paint for aluminum

that
does not need a primer, but just sprays right on the metal?

thanks,
tom pettit

Scothcbrite the metal and use RattleCan APPLIANCE EPOXY.
This stuff sticks, is very hard and after it cures, damn durable.
Limited color selection, but really good stuff.

Scott.

Blasting and painting [email protected] Home Built 7 June 3rd 04 03:14 PM
Water-borne barrier coat larsen-tools Home Built 0 February 3rd 04 08:42 PM
Fabric Work Doug Home Built 9 January 26th 04 03:31 AM
Choice of Paint for use over Copper foil Antennas Charlie Precourt Home Built 1 December 2nd 03 02:51 AM
Velocity Paint scheme Ezaviator Home Built 0 July 31st 03 04:09 AM