Paint Stripper?

Old November 24th 04, 08:33 PM
PETER H. OUELLETTE

Default Paint Stripper?

Trying to strip the paint from an old Cherokee. What a mess. Anyone have
recommendations on a good paint stripper? The old paint is lacquer, I'm
told... Pete

Old November 25th 04, 12:47 AM
jls

"PETER H. OUELLETTE" wrote in message
Trying to strip the paint from an old Cherokee. What a mess. Anyone have
recommendations on a good paint stripper? The old paint is lacquer, I'm
told... Pete

Known in California to cause cancer, but methylene chloride in a gelatinous
base is the only way I know to really get it off. Don't breathe the vapors
or get it on your skin.

Old November 25th 04, 02:06 AM
canflyboy

I found this product on the web and it's not toxic

http://www.m-tc.com/efs2500_home.htm

Old November 25th 04, 02:26 AM
Clay

"PETER H. OUELLETTE" wrote in message ...
Trying to strip the paint from an old Cherokee. What a mess. Anyone have
recommendations on a good paint stripper? The old paint is lacquer, I'm
told... Pete

DBX from K&E Chemical. This is a biodegradable stripper. Smells good
and not as dangerous as methylene chloride strippers.
I have also used Kleen Strip Aircraft paint remover (in the Blue can)
and it works very well. Burns like crazy if you get it on you.
Bix makes a good stripper also.
Remember, keep stripper off any plastic or plexi-glass.
Old November 25th 04, 03:27 PM
john smith

StazWet from remdam.com

Old November 25th 04, 05:20 PM
Jerry J. Wass

Why don't you try a soda blaster, they're getting more popular all the time.

Old November 26th 04, 05:56 PM
Dan Thomas

"PETER H. OUELLETTE" wrote in message ...
Trying to strip the paint from an old Cherokee. What a mess. Anyone have
recommendations on a good paint stripper? The old paint is lacquer, I'm
told... Pete

We use Napier International Technologies' SV-35PMA spraying grade
stripper. This stuff is non-toxic, non-odorous and biodegradable.
Spray it on with an airless paint sprayer, let it sit for several
hours, and blast it off with a pressure washer. It's the best stripper
we've ever used, and its only drawback is the slowness. It's faster if
put out in the heat of the sun. If you catch the runoff and let the
water dry out of it, the residue goes in the garbage. Boeing
recommends it, and a major heavy aircraft overhauler in BC uses a lot
of it. Napier is in Langley, BC, Canada, and can be reached at
1-800-564-9929.

Dan

Old November 27th 04, 07:53 PM
John Ammeter

Using Google and entering SV-35PMA in the search engine I
get:

RemovALL
Distributors: Boston Restoration - call 1-978-988-1177- will
take phone orders or order online at
www.restorationproducts.com
iCAG - call 1-866-873-4224- will take phone orders or
check their website at www.icaginc.com
GMG Distributor (Northern California)- call 1-800-468-4420
or click here for a list of their dealers
Blish Mize Paint Sundries (Central States) call
1-800-444-7474 for a list of their dealers
Lancaster (Central and Eastern states)- call 1-
864-583-3011 or click here for a list of their dealers
Tri-W (Central and Western states, except California)-
call at 1-800-366-8749
Dealers: ABC Equipment Rental, Inc. - call 918-744-8353 or
2910 East 15th Street, Tulsa, OK

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 14:32:52 -0500, "pete"
wrote:

Where can you get this in the USA?
om...

Old November 30th 04, 06:12 PM
Henry and Debbie McFarland

"pete" wrote in message
Where can you get this in the USA?

We purchased 10 gallons from Aircraft Spruce.

Deb

--
1946 Luscombe 8A (His)
1948 Luscombe 8E (Hers)