Glider specific transponder codes

Old December 28th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Caldwell

Default Glider specific transponder codes

Hi Pilots,

=20

If any Minden area pilots are familiar with the procedures followed to
secure your glider specific XPDR code please contact me. I would like
to see a similar specific code for the Front Range of the Rockies. I
haven't a clue where to start the process.

=20

Also any other XPDR equipped pilots here in the Rocky Mountain area
please weigh in on the subject.

=20

Thanks, fly safe,

=20

Bob Caldwell

Old December 28th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Bob Caldwell wrote:
Hi Pilots,

=20

If any Minden area pilots are familiar with the procedures followed to
secure your glider specific XPDR code please contact me. I would like
to see a similar specific code for the Front Range of the Rockies. I
haven't a clue where to start the process.

=20

Also any other XPDR equipped pilots here in the Rocky Mountain area
please weigh in on the subject.

=20

Thanks, fly safe,

=20

Bob Caldwell

I heard someone from Boulder was working on this. I'll see what I can
find out.

Frank Whiteley

Old December 28th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Also any other XPDR equipped pilots here in the Rocky Mountain area
please weigh in on the subject.

The unique transponder codes made available by Reno Approach
Control/Tower, (local ATC folks), have been in use for quite some time.
I suspect that Carl Harold knows the history behind it.
In order to get something like that going, you will need to get one,
preferably all the local clubs in the Denver area together and discuss
this with both the Denver Approach Control/tower and the Denver ARTCC
located in Longmont CO. Being feds, they are most likely not
interested in entering into what is called a "Letter of Agreement",
much like the one you have for your wave window. You will need to get
help from the folks at Reno Approach who helped set all this up.
One of the ways to approach your local ATC types is to SHOW them what
has been accomplished in Reno. Just talking about it won't cut it,
trust me on this. Before you set up a meeting with them, you will need
to have copies of all that has been done in the Reno area along with
you.
The approach control will have to get the local Air Route Traffic
Control Center in Longmont to go along with the program, much the same
as Reno Approach did with the Oakland ARTCC.
I think the tact you will have to take is that the camel already has
it's nose under the tent, so you ATC might as well let the rest of it
in. Good luck.

Zulu

Old December 28th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Dec 27, 8:34 pm, Bob Caldwell
Also any other XPDR equipped pilots here in the Rocky Mountain area
please weigh in on the subject.

You may want to get a month's worth of OLC flight logs and plot them
all together to show where we fly and why it would be beneficial for
them to see us.

-Tom

Old December 28th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

5Z wrote:
On Dec 27, 8:34 pm, Bob Caldwell
Also any other XPDR equipped pilots here in the Rocky Mountain area
please weigh in on the subject.

You may want to get a month's worth of OLC flight logs and plot them
all together to show where we fly and why it would be beneficial for
them to see us.

-Tom

Good suggestions all.

Right now Phil Ecklund is point person on this. Like to keep it that
way unless he defers to someone else.

A quick search of the RAS postings WRT Reno over the years seems to
indicate that 0440 is only applicable within 25 miles of Reno, or has
it been extended in cooperation with Oakland ARTCC? Someone comment on
the boundaries?

Very best regards,

Frank Whiteley

Old December 28th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeremy Zawodny

Frank Whiteley wrote:
5Z wrote:
On Dec 27, 8:34 pm, Bob Caldwell
Also any other XPDR equipped pilots here in the Rocky Mountain area
please weigh in on the subject.

You may want to get a month's worth of OLC flight logs and plot them
all together to show where we fly and why it would be beneficial for
them to see us.

-Tom

Good suggestions all.

Right now Phil Ecklund is point person on this. Like to keep it that
way unless he defers to someone else.

A quick search of the RAS postings WRT Reno over the years seems to
indicate that 0440 is only applicable within 25 miles of Reno, or has
it been extended in cooperation with Oakland ARTCC? Someone comment on
the boundaries?

That poses an interesting problem.

I cannot change transponder codes in flight in my ship. So when it's
based at Truckee, Air Sailing, or Minden I set it on the ground to 0440
and don't change it back to 1200 until I bring it "home" to Hollister.

If I fly a significant distance from the Reno area (which I get a little
better at each season), does that cause a problem?

In a sense, 0440 is my "assigned" code, though not explicitly assigned
(and not discretely to me). But what if I'm 300 miles away? If an
authority doesn't try to assign a new one to me (I'd have to say
"unable" if they did), is that legit?

Hmm.

Personally, I'd rather have the transponder powered on and using a
reasonable code than powered off because I left the Reno area and
couldn't change it in flight.

Jeremy

Jeremy
Old December 30th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Why doesn't the SSA get together with AOPA and the FAA and get this
implimented nation wide. This would be a benefit everywhere.

Mike Schumann

ups.com...

Old December 30th 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

I cannot change transponder codes in flight in my ship. So when it's
based at Truckee, Air Sailing, or Minden I set it on the ground to 0440
and don't change it back to 1200 until I bring it "home" to Hollister.

I've got to know: why can't you change codes in the air?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old December 30th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"Mike Schumann" wrote in message
.. .
Why doesn't the SSA get together with AOPA and the FAA and get this
implimented nation wide. This would be a benefit everywhere.

Mike Schumann

Mike,

No offense, but that's really a silly question! (grin) The reason we do not
have a single discrete, nation wide transponder code is 'cause that would
make too much sense. This is the sort of thing that gets way-laid in
bureaucratic red tape forever.

Oh, and they will also probably answer that there are not enough transponder
codes available as it is, so they can ill afford to assign gliders one (as
is done at Reno ATC).

I attended the NTSB's Minden meeting after the jet vs. glider mid air. I
asked about a single code for gliders and was told it was apparently
requested years ago by the SSA. They have also requested an exemption from
the "always on" transponder rule for gliders - - no movement on either,
that I've heard.

I also suggested streamlining the xponder installation and extra battery
installation approval requirements for gliders (as they did for shoulder
harnesses for classic aircraft over a decade ago).

all the best,

bumper

Old December 30th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

I am guessing that he mounted it where he cannot reach it
BT

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
news3nlh.509$oW4.463@trndny05...

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org