Pw5 is the best for any class.

Old December 24th 04, 10:27 AM
Don Johnstone

Eric

If you knew about some of the fields we have in the
UK you might not be so keen to haul something as heavy
as a 17 out of it. Lifting a Ventus across a ditch
is one thing but doing that with a 17 is sure to strain
your farting clapper.

A 17 with a motor, I wish.

I wish you all the ability to keep it up (PW5 drivers
excepted)

:-)

At 18:00 23 December 2004, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Don Johnstone wrote:

I would suggest it is a factor in field selection
by
those pilots that fly big wings, I certainly think
about it.
Bit of a mute point really because big wings get you
home. Landouts are only for those with inadequate
span,
which is where we came in :-)

If the pilots with 'adequate' span were using their
gliders to the
fullest, they'd be landing out, too. There's never
enough span if you
are trying hard.

(Insert derisive comments here about pilots that fly
around with
adequate span AND a motor in the back [21 restarts
this year and counting]!)

--
Change 'netto' to 'net' to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old December 24th 04, 07:17 PM
Eric Greenwell

Don Johnstone wrote:
Eric

If you knew about some of the fields we have in the
UK you might not be so keen to haul something as heavy
as a 17 out of it.

I'm not keen on hauling anything out of a field anymore, which is one
reason I have a motorglider. If I had to haul gliders out, I'd like them
to be light, like a SparrowHawk (160 pounds) or a Russia (300 pounds).
Just watching the local ASW 17 go together strains my back.

Lifting a Ventus across a ditch
is one thing but doing that with a 17 is sure to strain
your farting clapper.

A 17 with a motor, I wish.

I've been to the UK and seen the fields! One look at the stone "hedges"
made me understand why you folks are so particular about field
selection, speed control on final, and the hazards of undershooting
("it's better to hit the far hedge slowly than the near hedge quickly").
I'd have to study the fields there very carefully, and brush up on my
field landing techniques to do it safely. Our fields are generally a
mile square and soft plowed dirt, so we're not very sharp at it - just
plunking it down almost anywhere works.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA