How get get serial number of GNS-430?

Old September 26th 05, 10:15 PM
Ron Natalie

Peter R. wrote:

Will pulling the unit from the power supply cause it to revert back to its
factory-set defaults?

Why would that be any different from shutting off the master?

When my unit was pulled and repaired by Garmin (which reverted all settings
back to their defaults), the avionics shop had to recalibrate my GNS480
with the HSI.

Garmin must have reset it.
Old September 26th 05, 10:30 PM
Peter R.

Rob wrote:

figured that one out.
Also, when I go to the "nearest airports" page, it's always empty. Not
a major inconvenience yet, but I'd like the information to be there
should I really need it someday.

I am unaware of how to reset the entire unit to factory defaults, but I am
aware that you can reset the "Nearest Airport Criteria" to factory defaults
(0 feet runway length and ANY surface) by going to the AUX chapter (or what
the GNS430 pilot's manual calls "page groupings"), page 4.

To get to this page, hold the CLR button for three seconds, which will take
you to the NAV chapter, page 1. Roll the large, right knob two clicks to
the right to take you to the AUX chapter.

Roll the small right knob (inner knob) right three clicks to the AUX page
4, which is labeled "Setup 2."

Press the right inner knob to turn on the cursor to highlight a menu
choice, use the large right knob to scroll to the "Nearest Airport
Criteria" choice, then hit the ENT key.

Now, press the MENU key to display the individual menu, scroll to "Restore
Defaults," and press ENT.

That will restore the factory defaults for the Nearest Airport Criteria.

--
Peter

Old September 26th 05, 10:34 PM
Peter R.

Ron Natalie wrote:

Why would that be any different from shutting off the master?

Yep, you are right. I wasn't thinking it through.

--
Peter

Old September 26th 05, 10:36 PM
Peter R.

"Peter R." wrote:

I am unaware of how to reset the entire unit to factory defaults, but I am
aware that you can reset the "Nearest Airport Criteria" to factory defaults

By the way, I believe all pages that are customizable can be reset to their
defaults by selecting the "Restore Defaults" menu choice from the
page-specific menu.

--
Peter

Old September 26th 05, 11:47 PM
Rob

Frank Stutzman wrote:
In rec.aviation.owning Rob wrote:

Side question: How does one intentionally reset a garmin 430 to
factory defaults? There must be some "three-fingered-salute" or key
combination at power-on that does this but I can't find it in the
manual.

AFAIK, its not in the user manual. It may be in the installation manual.

Hold the 'clear' button down while powering on the unit. You may have to
keep holding the 'clear' button down until it finishes its self test, but
I don't remember exactly.

If you hold the 'enter' button down while powering it on, you to the
hardware set-up page that allows you to do all sorts of things that Garmin
and your avionics shop would prefer you didn't. I'm thinking you may be
able to get the s/n of the unit though here as well, but I havn't had a
chance to check it myself.

This is probably not a time for fat-fingering the wrong button.

Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"
Hood River, OR

Excellent Frank, thanks!

-R

Old September 26th 05, 11:49 PM
Rob

Peter R. wrote:
"Peter R." wrote:

I am unaware of how to reset the entire unit to factory defaults, but I am
aware that you can reset the "Nearest Airport Criteria" to factory defaults

By the way, I believe all pages that are customizable can be reset to their
defaults by selecting the "Restore Defaults" menu choice from the
page-specific menu.

--
Peter

Frank S. has instructions for resetting factory defaults above. I'll
take a look at the nearest airports criteria before I reset and I'll
bet that's the problem. Thanks for the tips Peter.

-R