Crimp or solder shields

Old September 15th 03, 09:44 PM
Chad Lemmen

Default Crimp or solder shields

I'm wiring some avionics that use shielded wire that needs to have the
shield terminated into a connector. Is it best to solder a wire to the
shield or crimp a wire to the shield so that I can put a connector pin on it?
Old September 15th 03, 10:07 PM
Albert

The best way is to use a solder ferrule with a heat gun. It will connect
the shield to your black 22ga wiring going to the connector pin and also
protect the connection from environmental effects.

Old September 15th 03, 11:03 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Chad Lemmen wrote:

I'm wiring some avionics that use shielded wire that needs to have the
shield terminated into a connector. Is it best to solder a wire to the
shield or crimp a wire to the shield so that I can put a connector pin on it?

According to the "Acceptable Methods" manual (I can never remember the AC
number), the disadvatage of a wire solder joint is that it might break due to
vibration fatigue, but it is never acceptable to add connectors to extend wire.
I would solder the wire to the shield.

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that cannot
be learned any other way. Samuel Clemens
Old September 15th 03, 11:29 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Chad Lemmen wrote:

: I'm wiring some avionics that use shielded wire that needs to have the
: shield terminated into a connector. Is it best to solder a wire to the
: shield or crimp a wire to the shield so that I can put a connector pin on it?
Chad, what I've seen done, and what I did, is:
1) Trim shield, twist, making it about 1/2 inch long.
2) Fold twisted shield back along the multiconductor wire, away from the
connector.
3) Solder a short length of 22ga wire to the shield so that it extends
in the same direction as the internal wires.
4) Use a piece of heat shrink over the folded back shield, solder joint, and
the trimmed multiconductor outer insulation.

This worked very well for me, and has been working for years now.

PS, remember to connect the shield at ONE END ONLY unless it's being used
as a ground (or the directions say to connect both ends).
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)
Old September 17th 03, 12:55 AM
Mark T. Mueller

Soldering is a very bad way to go in high vibration environments. I lost my
alternator due to an improper repair (solder rather than crimped connector).
Vibrations eventually broke the strands. Soldered connections are very
brittle.

Old September 20th 03, 04:12 PM
Dustin

I would use crimp as much as possible. As has already been stated,
solder cracks under vibration and will eventually fail.

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.