KX155 KX 155A Anybody know the difference?

Old August 31st 04, 02:03 AM
Mike Rapoport

Default KX155 KX 155A Anybody know the difference?

The KX155 in my "new" airplane (Helio Courier) seems to have bitten the
dust. It looks like an old POS and I am trying to figure out what to do.
What are the functional differences between the KX155, KX165 and the KX155A
and KX165A? The airplane has a Garmin 300XL as #1 and a switching relay to
allow the 300XL or the KX155 to drive the HSI. I am trying to decide what
to do.

My options a

A:
#1 Garmin 430
#2 KX155
Get rid of the "GPS/NAV" switch/annunciator box

B:
Same as A but with 530. Pricey, but I could just buy the tray and
connectors and shuttle the 530 in my MU-2 back and forth until Garmin has
WAAS and then buy a 530A for the MU-2. This has the advantage of presumably
saving the cost of the WAAS upgrade thereby reducing the 530 premium
somewhat.

C:
#1 Currently installed 300XL.
#2 KX 155 or 165 I would prefer the 165 since I can get rid of the converter
box that drives the HSI.
Keep the GPS/NAV switch/annunciator box

The advantage of going with a 430 or 530 is that I have flown them for 800+
hrs and am comfortable with the operating logic. I can't say the same about
the 300X:L.

Cost is an issue. This is a second airplane and I anticipate using it 95%
VFR. I would rather spend the money on floats or skis :-). Since the
airplane may be left unattended in the backcountry for days at a time, I
would also like avionics that are not very attractive to a thief.

What do you think?

Mike
MU-2

#1 Currently installed 300XL.
#2 KX 155 or 165 I would prefer the 165 since I can get rid of the converter
box that drives the HSI.
Keep the GPS/NAV switch/annunciator box

The advantage of going with a 430 or 530 is that I have flown them for 800+
hrs and am comfortable with the operating logic. I can't say the same about
the 300X:L.

Cost is an issue. This is a second airplane and I anticipate using it 95%
VFR. I would rather spend the money on floats or skis :-). Since the
airplane may be left unattended in the backcountry for days at a time, I
would also like avionics that are not very attractive to a thief.

What do you think?

Mike
MU-2

Slightly tongue in cheek, but not entirely rediculous.

A. Make the Courier a 100% VFR airplane for a while, bring a
handheld, and spend the money on skiis or floats. When the WAAS
technology comes out, you'll have more money again (hopefully) and you
can do the radio upgrade once and the way you want it.

B. Buy a used nav/comm cheap that will fit in the same slot, and use
the money you save on skiis or floats. This 'll keep the IFR
abilities and still get you the skiis or floats.

May not be entirely practical but just thought I'd throw it out there.
I think you can tell I like the idea of added use with skiis or
floats.

PS. The 155A replaces the 155 which is no longer available. It has an
internal CDI (which may help you get rid of your switching relay), 32
program sets, self dimming panel, yoke mounted frequency flip flop,
timers, and some other goodies. HTH.

#1 Currently installed 300XL.
#2 KX 155 or 165 I would prefer the 165 since I can get rid of the

converter
[...]

Thanks for your thoughts! Don't worry, I'm buying the skis and floats!

Mike
MU-2

Old August 31st 04, 03:05 AM
Nathan Young

You can update the looks of your KX155 by ordering a new front panel
(which includes the display). I see ads for this in Trade-a-Plane,
but you could probably order from Bendix-King too.

I never knew the deltas between the variations of King's Nav-Coms, so
I spent a bit of time on their site
(https://www3.bendixking.com/static/brochures/index.jsp). Here's what
I distilled from the info:

-KX155, 155A, 165, and 165A are all 10W radios.
-All are 760 channels COM and 200 channels Nav (exception being 165A
which can be ordered with 8.33kHz spacing).

Difference between the 155s and 165s are primarily the integration of
a VOR/LOC converter in the 165. As well the KX165 adds a digital
radial readout (accessed by pulling out the Nav tuner button).

The A suffix indicates a newer design that supports some cool
microprocessor-oriented features:
-Programmed COM channels
-Stuck mic indications
-Timer
-Integrated CDI

Also, If you go with option B below. Be sure to investigate how many
insertion cycles the connectors on the 530 can take. I would be
surprised if they are designed with that kind of mission in mind. It
certainly wouldn't hurt to transfer it between planes a few times, but
after a few hundred, who knows.

wrote:

The KX155 in my "new" airplane (Helio Courier) seems to have bitten the
dust. It looks like an old POS and I am trying to figure out what to do.
What are the functional differences between the KX155, KX165 and the KX155A
and KX165A? The airplane has a Garmin 300XL as #1 and a switching relay to
allow the 300XL or the KX155 to drive the HSI. I am trying to decide what
to do.

My options a

A:

Old August 31st 04, 03:32 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks. Good point! I hadn't considered insertion/extraction limits.

Mike
MU-2

wrote:

The KX155 in my "new" airplane (Helio Courier) seems to have bitten the
dust. It looks like an old POS and I am trying to figure out what to do.
What are the functional differences between the KX155, KX165 and the

KX155A
and KX165A? The airplane has a Garmin 300XL as #1 and a switching relay

allow the 300XL or the KX155 to drive the HSI. I am trying to decide

what
to do.

My options a

A:

Old August 31st 04, 03:55 AM
Tom S.

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
news
Difference between the 155s and 165s are primarily the integration of
a VOR/LOC converter in the 165. As well the KX165 adds a digital
radial readout (accessed by pulling out the Nav tuner button).

The A suffix indicates a newer design that supports some cool
microprocessor-oriented features:
-Programmed COM channels
-Stuck mic indications
-Timer
-Integrated CDI

Also, If you go with option B below. Be sure to investigate how many
insertion cycles the connectors on the 530 can take. I would be
surprised if they are designed with that kind of mission in mind. It
certainly wouldn't hurt to transfer it between planes a few times, but
after a few hundred, who knows.

Wouldn't that be reduced by the 430/530 preselecting frequencies which are
then "flip-flopped"?

Old August 31st 04, 04:11 AM
Fly

I wish I knew.
In fact I just dropped one off at the avionics shop. Hit the transmit
key and the display goes blank, and the unit goes silent. Huh?
Kent Felkins

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...
The KX155 in my "new" airplane (Helio Courier) seems to have bitten the
dust. It looks like an old POS and I am trying to figure out what to do.
What are the functional differences between the KX155, KX165 and the

KX155A
and KX165A? The airplane has a Garmin 300XL as #1 and a switching relay

allow the 300XL or the KX155 to drive the HSI. I am trying to decide what
to do.

My options a

A:

Old August 31st 04, 04:57 AM
Ben Jackson

In article . net,
Mike Rapoport wrote:
The KX155 in my "new" airplane (Helio Courier) seems to have bitten the
dust.

In what way? Your cheapest option is probably to get it repaired.
The displays in particular seem to have a much shorter lifespan than
the rest of the radio. After that it's probably the harness or the
antenna/connection.

Never buy today what you can put off buying until tommorow. ;-)

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old August 31st 04, 05:09 AM
kage

THE major difference between the KX-155/165 and KX-155A/165A is this:

http://www.faa.gov/certification/air...st/8400-11.doc

3. Harmonic interference (12th and 13th harmonic) from VHF

transmissions on 121.150, 121.175, 121.200, 131.250, 131.275, and 131.300
MHz has been observed to adversely affect reception of the GPS signal. Low
pass or notch filters (with an insertion loss of 2 Db or less or the
aircraft VHF COM radio must be re-certified) installed at the output of the
VHF transmitter to attenuate the undesired harmonic signal, or modification
of the VHF transmitter to improve internal harmonic attenuation, may be
required. Shorted stubs, of appropriate lengths, could also possibly
provide effective filtering and antenna matching."

The straight 155/165 was designed long before GPS was ever envisioned, and
are very noisy in 12th and 13th harmonics. Most IFR installations with these
radios were made without regard to the interference, with the certifying
pilot either ignorant or lying about the interference.

The "A" model was designed to be free of these interferences.

Other nice features are much better feeling rotary switches, with smoother,
shorter and more precise clicks. Also, the 165A is available with 8.33 MHz
spacing. The US may or may not go to 8.33 spacing, but since Europe already
has the US will probably tow the line, like they did with METARS/TAF. Which
brings up a funny point. I fly all over Europe regularly. IT is very
uncommon to see a proper METAR/TAF report sequence. They report as they damn
well please with any sequence that comes to mind at the moment. To get a
proper sequence you need to fly in the US.

So much for the vaulted "commonality" that was forced down our throats!

Karl

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...
The KX155 in my "new" airplane (Helio Courier) seems to have bitten the
dust. It looks like an old POS and I am trying to figure out what to do.
What are the functional differences between the KX155, KX165 and the
KX155A
and KX165A? The airplane has a Garmin 300XL as #1 and a switching relay
allow the 300XL or the KX155 to drive the HSI. I am trying to decide what
to do.

My options a

A:

Old August 31st 04, 02:27 PM
Dave Butler

Mike Rapoport wrote:
The KX155 in my "new" airplane (Helio Courier) seems to have bitten the
dust. It looks like an old POS and I am trying to figure out what to do.
What are the functional differences between the KX155, KX165 and the KX155A
and KX165A?

There's a list of the differences between KX155 and KX155A at
http://www.seaerospace.com/king/kx155a.htm
Look for the items in the list with an asterisk.

Dave

weight difference Lou Parker Home Built 7 October 27th 04 02:42 AM
The main difference between Europe and USA noname Military Aviation 0 May 31st 04 03:23 AM
Difference in a Lycoming 65 vs. Contenintal 65 JR Home Built 1 November 29th 03 03:20 PM
KX155 Pinouts Richard Kelly Owning 1 September 3rd 03 04:24 PM
Mode S Transponders - Can ATC tell the difference? Doodybutch Owning 2 August 10th 03 06:21 AM