Filling oxygen tanks

Old December 23rd 04, 08:28 PM
Bruce McFadden

Default Filling oxygen tanks

Santa's wife has decided that she would prefer that I fly with oxygen
even below 12.5K and especially at night. So I've been given a tank et
al. I was shocked today when I had it filled at Merucry Air. It is a
415 L size D tank. Because the pressure in their filling tanks were a
bit low, they could only fill my new tank to 1700 lbs, not to a fully
topped off level of 2000 lbs.
They charged me $40 flat fee..... a discount they said because it is a
small cylinder. That seem really steep to me.

Is this about right fur filling an O2 tank. I've heard that it is OK to
have the tank filled at other places such as with medical O2 or welding
O2. Is that OK?

Bruce McFadden Birmingham, AL
PA32-260 N5594J

Old December 23rd 04, 09:07 PM
Don Hammer

Legally you have to use ABO (Aviator's Breathing Oxygen). The only
difference is supposed the quality assurance for contaminants such as
water. My oxygen supplier gets them from the same source and tests it
all to better than ABO standards. He ships bottles marked ABO to
those who require it. Check with some of your local suppliers and
they'll certainly be cheaper than any FBO.

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:28:55 GMT, Bruce McFadden
wrotD:

http://www.usenet.com
Old December 23rd 04, 09:22 PM
Frank Stutzman

Bruce McFadden wrote:

They charged me $40 flat fee..... a discount they said because it is a
small cylinder. That seem really steep to me.

Is this about right fur filling an O2 tank. I've heard that it is OK to
have the tank filled at other places such as with medical O2 or welding
O2. Is that OK?

When travelling, I've had to pay those kind of prices. Piracy. At home I
have a local medical supply outlet fill my E sized tank for $16. At that
price, I don't bother with trying to set up a self filling rig using
welders oxygen.

If I wanted to do that, though, I'd get a copy of "Oxygen Hackers
Companion" (http://www.airspeedpress.com/newoxyhacker.html). It goes into
a lot of details beyond aviation oxygen and is very well written.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old December 23rd 04, 09:24 PM
Frank Stutzman

Don Hammer wrote:
Legally you have to use ABO (Aviator's Breathing Oxygen). The only
difference is supposed the quality assurance for contaminants such as
water. My oxygen supplier gets them from the same source and tests it
all to better than ABO standards. He ships bottles marked ABO to
those who require it. Check with some of your local suppliers and
they'll certainly be cheaper than any FBO.

Bunk.

I refer you to http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182079-1.html

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old December 23rd 04, 09:26 PM
Denny

This topic has been beaten to death over the years... Search the
archive and you will have enough reading to keep you up past bedtime...
Yes, they are sucking your wallet... You can fill your tank from any
larger oxygen tank... No, there is no difference between medical O2,
breathing O2, welding O2, etc... It all comes from the same tank of
liquid oxygen at the supplier, delivered in the same truck with the
white frost on it, and piped in through the same hoses as he goes from
factory, to hospital, to welding shop, etc...... If you can't find the
archived material drop me a private email and I'll discuss it
further...

Do a quick test next time you night fly... Climb up to 8K or so, level
off, notice the ground lights, turn on the O2, notice the ground lights
get really bright and suddenly have colors to them..
Denny

Old December 23rd 04, 10:09 PM
Blanche Cohen

Another approach is to have your physician write you an RX then take
it to either a medical supply house or ambulance company, which
ever will take the RX.

Old December 23rd 04, 10:47 PM
Frank Stutzman

Blanche Cohen wrote:
Another approach is to have your physician write you an RX then take
it to either a medical supply house or ambulance company, which
ever will take the RX.

Actually, the local medical supply house had no problem filling my
aviation oxysten tank without a RX. You might want to ask them before you
bothered your Doc.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old December 24th 04, 12:34 AM
Almarz

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 21:47:53 +0000 (UTC), Frank Stutzman
wrote:

Blanche Cohen wrote:
Another approach is to have your physician write you an RX then take
it to either a medical supply house or ambulance company, which
ever will take the RX.

Actually, the local medical supply house had no problem filling my
aviation oxysten tank without a RX. You might want to ask them before you
bothered your Doc.

Different states have different requirements. Don't ask why, it must
be those same crooked politicians.

Old December 24th 04, 12:51 AM
Matt Whiting

Don Hammer wrote:
Legally you have to use ABO (Aviator's Breathing Oxygen). The only
difference is supposed the quality assurance for contaminants such as
water. My oxygen supplier gets them from the same source and tests it
all to better than ABO standards. He ships bottles marked ABO to
those who require it. Check with some of your local suppliers and
they'll certainly be cheaper than any FBO.

Which regulation requires this?

Matt