Mandatory ELT specification (N-reg aircraft, 1400kg)

Old December 23rd 04, 05:10 PM
Jürgen Exner

Default Mandatory ELT specification (N-reg aircraft, 1400kg)

Peter wrote:
I am moving a plane from G-reg to N-reg and everybody in the avionics
business tells me I need a tri-band ELT like the Kannad 406 AP

http://www.adamsdirect.co.uk/proddet...delno=406%20AP

at about $3000. However I don't think this is true. What is the actual
minimum requirement?

That's pretty easy to find out, just check the FAR: 91.207 Emergency
Location Transmitters:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...0?OpenDocument

Most flying here in the UK is over relatively inhabited land, or over
the sea, and I already carry a 121.5/406MHz EPIRB so don't need
anything too fancy - it just needs to comply. The most likely scenario
is ditching and a fixed unit will just sink.

Is your EPIRB approved as an ELT by the FAA?

jue

Old December 23rd 04, 05:45 PM
Jürgen Exner

Peter wrote:
"Jürgen Exner" wrote:

Most flying here in the UK is over relatively inhabited land, or
over the sea, and I already carry a 121.5/406MHz EPIRB so don't need
anything too fancy - it just needs to comply. The most likely
scenario is ditching and a fixed unit will just sink.

Is your EPIRB approved as an ELT by the FAA?

You mean that a *portable* unit complies with the FAA requirements??
Mine isn't auto activated - you have to pull a ring.

I don't mean anything, I am just asking. The FAR state
- "There is attached to the airplane ...": if you permanently mount the
EPIRB to the plane, then this requirement is met
- "an [...] automatic type emergency locator transmitter": Well, if you need
to pull a ring then it surely doesn't meet this requirement
- "an approved [...] type emergency locator transmitter": That's what I was
asking about. I doubt that the EBIRP is approved, but you never know...

jue

Old December 24th 04, 12:00 AM
Helen Woods

There was a rule that came out this summer that applied to heavier
aircraft, I believe turbo-props, but don't quote me on that. Be sure to
check the very latest version of the FARs. If you google 406 ELTs like
I did you might find it.

BTW, if you can wait, I know Pointer (and likely some of the other
companies) is coming out with a better 406 ELT in 2005. Currently Artex
has the only US 406 ELT and it's like 1.5K and does not include a GPS
encoder. The Pointer one is suposed to retail at only 1K and include a
built in GPS.

Helen
Old December 29th 04, 02:22 AM
Helen Woods

Be sure to check wit them and see if that price includes their GPS
encoder. I don't think it does.

You really should try and get one with a built in GPS or at least and
encoder which interfaces with the aircraft GPS. That way the
geostationary satalites will know where you are and you won't be waiting
for passes from moving satalites before SAR can be sent out after you.

BTW, if you do go with Artex, the retailers sell it cheaper than the
company. I saw the basic 406 box (no GPS encoder) in either Aircraft
Spruce or Chief Aircraft's catalog recently. They did not sell the
encoder. You may have to get that from the company.

Personally, I'm waiting for Pointer's all in one box.

Helen
Old January 13th 05, 11:07 PM
Richard Herring

In article , Helen Woods
wrote
Be sure to check wit them and see if that price includes their GPS
encoder. I don't think it does.

You really should try and get one with a built in GPS or at least and
encoder which interfaces with the aircraft GPS. That way the
geostationary satalites will know where you are and you won't be
waiting for passes from moving satalites before SAR can be sent out
after you.

BTW, if you do go with Artex, the retailers sell it cheaper than the
company. I saw the basic 406 box (no GPS encoder) in either Aircraft
Spruce or Chief Aircraft's catalog recently. They did not sell the
encoder. You may have to get that from the company.

Personally, I'm waiting for Pointer's all in one box.

If, as Peter suggests, the installed automatic ELT which complies with
the FARs will sink with the aircraft, he'd be better off buying the
minimum possible to meet the regs, and then getting a separate
all-singing-all-dancing one to stow with his liferaft, which will the
one that actually gets him rescued.

If ditching is a real possibility, the money might be better spent on a
sea survival course.

--
Richard Herring