Leaning Procedure for a Carbureted 182

Old June 25th 05, 05:39 PM
Jeffrey

Default Leaning Procedure for a Carbureted 182

Greeting to all;

I own a 1964 Cessna 182 with a Continental O-470-R25 engine. This is
equipped with an E.I. 6 pt EGT gauge. Typical cruise power setting is 20"
manifold pressure 2300 RPM. I seem to have a plug fouling issue.

Can someone please give me the proper leaning procedure for both cruise
flight and ground operations (taxing)?

I'd really appreciate some experienced input. Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey

Old June 25th 05, 05:48 PM
RST Engineering

Are you running 100LL or mogas?

Jim

Old June 25th 05, 06:41 PM
Thomas Borchert

Jeffrey,

Typical cruise power setting is 20"
manifold pressure 2300 RPM.

Wow! Why so low?

Can someone please give me the proper leaning procedure for both cruise
flight and ground operations (taxing)?

For taxi: lean right after start-up and stabilized RPM very aggresively
until a slight rise in RPM occurs. If you lean any further, the engine
should quit. The RPM rise should be around 25 RPM. If it is higher, have
your idle mixture adjusted. If you advance the throttle for the mag check,
the engine will stumble because it is so lean. That's GOOD because it
reminds you to enrichen again for take-off power. You cannot hurt the
engine by leaning at taxi power.

For flight: Lean whenever the power is below 75 percent. Lean until the
first cylinder peaks (that's not identical with the cylinder having the
highest EGT, it is the first cylinder whose EGT goes down again during
leaning). Then leave the mixture there if the engine runs smoothly or
enrichen until abojut 100 F rich of peak.

Have you read John Deakin's columns on engine management at www.avweb.com?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 25th 05, 06:47 PM
RST Engineering

One reason and one reason only. With anything but a direct headwind, this
will get the fuel consumption down below 10 gallons of $3.50 fuel an hour.

Jim
20" and 2200.

Jeffrey,

Old June 25th 05, 07:57 PM
Thomas Borchert

RST,

One reason and one reason only. With anything but a direct headwind, this
will get the fuel consumption down below 10 gallons of $3.50 fuel an hour.

Jim
20" and 2200.

If it's any help, I'm paying 7.75. However, your trip time will be much
longer. You'll reach hour-based maintenance intervals sooner, too. Are you
sure you're saving money on this?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 25th 05, 09:35 PM
Jeffrey

Hi Thomas;

Well I didn't think it was too low a power setting. What do you prefer to
use?

As for Deakin's articles, I've not read them, thanks for the tip on that!
But which one should I start on?

Thanks again for the input!
Jeffrey

Old June 25th 05, 09:51 PM
RST Engineering

Then you will have plug fouling issues with the O-470 for the rest of your
airplane's life.

Jim

"Jeffrey" wrote in message
. com...

Running with 100LL.

Old June 25th 05, 11:57 PM
Scott Skylane

RST Engineering wrote:

Then you will have plug fouling issues with the O-470 for the rest of your
airplane's life.

Bulls**t. I've put almost 500 exclusively 100LL hours on my O-470R with
nary a single plug fouled.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
N92054