A Different Kind of Taxiway

Old October 9th 07, 12:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John B

Default A Different Kind of Taxiway

"P50" wrote in message
Similar set up has been installed at Essendon Airport recently. Only
instead of rail type boomgates there are full size gates.

No booms or gates - all done through the tower.

John B

Old October 11th 07, 07:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
P50[_3_]

"John B" wrote in message

"P50" wrote in message
Similar set up has been installed at Essendon Airport recently. Only
instead of rail type boomgates there are full size gates.

No booms or gates - all done through the tower.

John B

Pretty sure there are gates there as well. There was the 4 times I was there
last week.
They were installed but not yet working. Also had amber beacons in place on
the gates.

It would be kind of silly to expect someone in the tower to trust and hope
that every vehicle does not cross because they so and not have some sort of
physical barrier as well.

Old October 11th 07, 07:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John B

"P50" wrote in message

"John B" wrote in message

"P50" wrote in message
Similar set up has been installed at Essendon Airport recently. Only
instead of rail type boomgates there are full size gates.

No booms or gates - all done through the tower.

John B

Pretty sure there are gates there as well. There was the 4 times I was
there last week.
They were installed but not yet working. Also had amber beacons in place
on the gates.

It would be kind of silly to expect someone in the tower to trust and hope
that every vehicle does not cross because they so and not have some sort
of physical barrier as well.

P50

I was referring to the crossing at RAF Ballykelly in Nothern Ireland (my
contribution to the thread). The railway had absolute priority to that part
of the runway - UNLESS the tower could negotiate use. Inside the tower there
were bells and signals, fed from the railway signal box.

As a past Essendon Tower Controller, where are the boomgates installed?

John B

Old October 12th 07, 02:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
P50[_3_]

"John B" wrote in message

Sorry John given your response was after mine and included my text in
regards to Essendon Airport I thought you were referring to such. Not the
other location you mention. Apologies to you.

The new crossing system with the gates at Essendon have been installed in
what was previously a dead end road. There has been some major redevelopment
works at Essendon and this has included new hangers and buildings in most
parts of the property.

If you have a look at the Google Earth image I've attached I have edited in
where the new gates and crossing have been installed and marked where some
of the new buildings are. (Very crude guide)
There is also another inroad being built to the Airport up towards the end
of Runway 17.

New hangers have been built near where the Air Ambulance base is also as
well as numerous new buildings inside the centre of the main airport roads.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Essendon copy.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	18087
Old October 12th 07, 11:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John B

"P50" wrote in message

"John B" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you for that - it's certainly becoming a busy little place now.

Mind you it had its moments when it was Melbourne Airport - particularly on
a Friday evening.

John B

Old October 14th 07, 02:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
P50[_3_]

"John B" wrote in message

Thank you for that - it's certainly becoming a busy little place now.

Mind you it had its moments when it was Melbourne Airport - particularly
on a Friday evening.

John B

John B et al,

For those interested in older images from Essendon Airport, this site has
some very interesting shots on it. Might bring back a memory or two for John
if you were there then.
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages...r/Carvair.html
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages.../Ac100_700.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages.../Ac080_700.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages.../Ac132_700.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages.../Ac661_550.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages...AcEC07_550.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages.../Ac078_550.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages...endon/ECT.html

Old October 14th 07, 10:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John B

"P50" wrote in message

"John B" wrote in message

Thank you for that - it's certainly becoming a busy little place now.

Mind you it had its moments when it was Melbourne Airport - particularly
on a Friday evening.

John B

John B et al,

For those interested in older images from Essendon Airport, this site has
some very interesting shots on it. Might bring back a memory or two for
John if you were there then.
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages...r/Carvair.html
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages.../Ac100_700.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages.../Ac080_700.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages.../Ac132_700.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages.../Ac661_550.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages...AcEC07_550.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages.../Ac078_550.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages...endon/ECT.html

Thanks P50

Very interesting shots and so nostalgic. I was on the day the first Carvair
taxyed past and the Senior Tower Controller asked what type of aircraft it
was. The reply was quite long - starting with Carvair and then going through
all the conversion process.

Eventually the tower managed to get a few words in ........... "Do it
yourself?"
John B

Steering on the taxiway Mxsmanic Piloting 127 November 29th 06 01:12 AM
757 lands on EWR taxiway by mistake Gary Drescher Piloting 45 November 10th 06 02:59 AM
One Known Fatality In OSH Taxiway Accident AJ Piloting 0 July 31st 06 03:03 PM
Oshkosh Taxiway Incident M Home Built 0 July 31st 06 04:25 AM
Taxiway Signs Dennis Wyman Simulators 4 January 1st 04 10:56 PM