KVUO to KAST & Back IFR 1.8 Act. 2.7 Total "First In Act. IFR X-C"

Old June 22nd 05, 04:09 AM
NW_PILOT

Default KVUO to KAST & Back IFR 1.8 Act. 2.7 Total "First In Act. IFR X-C"

KVUO To KAST

Well, After getting my instrument rating 2 months ago and just playing local
in my 150 getting used to Popping in and out of the clouds totally different
than the hood I decided it was a good day for a real IFR X-C not a very far
one but ceilings were 1,300' local and 2,500' at destination reported with 3
to 5 miles visibility and to be around 2,000 all day diminishing late
afternoon .

Well called in and got my clearance took then about 15 min to get to me,
Nice simple Clearance Cleared to KAST, Via BTG Vortac As Filed, Maintain
4,000 expect 6,000 10 Min. Depart Freq 124.35 Code XXXXX, Switch To
Advisory Contact Departure Airborne.

All is going good then oops My PTT Switch Got Stuck at about 2,500' solid
IFR figured it out got back radios about my expected time to climb, was
asked N7676U how do you read told them had a stuck mike they said ok and to
& Climb Maintain 6,000 turn to Heading XXX Cleared Direct KAST resume Own
Navigation direct to KAST. I broke out on top for a bit at about 5,300' what
a feeling and sight. I Was told so long contact center on XXX.XX was told
continue present heading expect radar vectors to the ILS 26 KAST About 15
min later they were vectoring me around, Told me to hold heading until
established report once established on LOC then switch to advisory return
back to this Frequency to cancel IFR.

Now what a sight to see descending through the clouds, at about 1,400'
started to break out 1,100' with airport clearly right infront of us my
indicator looked like it was a set of sights on a rifle!!! Switched back to
Center and told them have the airport cancel IFR they asked me where I broke
out I told them they said thanks Squawk 1200 good day.

Return from KAST to KVUO

Reporting Clear At KVUO Climbed in the airplane Called and got my Clearance
Cleared to KVUO as Filed they gave me 5 Min to get it in the air and contact
them for an expire time, We departed KAST and was told to climb at max climb
hahahahaha I was struggling to do 600fpm as I was pushing gross. Was In the
clouds at about 1,100' Solid until about 5,000 then patchy in and out. Was a
bit more turbulent on the way back to KVUO than on the way to KAST.

OK Now center has been radar vectoring me all over the place for traffic,
good practice of situational awareness (I Have GPS so I Cheated) they told
me to resume my own navigation direct to BTG VOR contact & Portland Approach
On 124.35 good day, I Contacted Portland told me to fly heading XXX Direct
to BTG VOR Expect 4,000 in 10 Min, Continued I am told to hold and maintain
4,000 Expect 3,000 in 10 min. 5 min later told me descend to 3,000, and told
me I cannot have the approach in to KVUO as KPDX is departing in that
direction gave me many options since it was VFR at KVUP I took vectors to
KVUO, fly heading XXX expect radar vectors to KVUO, report when VFR about 5
min later I was told to descend to 2,000 about 2,300' broke out to VFR.
Reported VFR and Lake Vancouver Insight, Canceled IFR went Direct To KVUO.

All I can say is This Instrument Flying Is the ****!!! Way better than using
Foggles or a Hood and Doing Approaches All Day Long. Being surrounded by
white & grey then seeing that airport pop out at you is a rush beyond
rushes. I am slowly making my IFR flight's further and further. But
progressing at my own comfort level, and as stamina & comfort level builds I
will be going further and further in to the soup. I don't think I will ever
fly many places VFR , IFR is way simpler and a whole lot more fun except for
no music!!!!

Learned a Lot On This Little Trip! Just a few Questions For The Pro's???

Portland Approach Was Calling Out Traffic, Traffic 10:00 3,000' I Responded
Portland We are at 5,000' Solid IFR Unable to See Traffic! Dose This Happen
a Lot While IFR???? Was My Response Correct?

5 Min Clearance Void Time, Dose this Happen a Lot, kinda puts the pressure
on ya!

Dose anyone use any products like Visine ect for their eyes for extended
periods of IFR time?

Old June 22nd 05, 04:23 AM
Robert Chambers

NW_PILOT wrote:
KVUO To KAST

Learned a Lot On This Little Trip! Just a few Questions For The Pro's???

Portland Approach Was Calling Out Traffic, Traffic 10:00 3,000' I Responded
Portland We are at 5,000' Solid IFR Unable to See Traffic! Dose This Happen
a Lot While IFR???? Was My Response Correct?

Not a Pro but minimize airtime N12345 is IMC is all you need to get
the point across.

5 Min Clearance Void Time, Dose this Happen a Lot, kinda puts the pressure
on ya!

It's standard. They don't want to tie up the airspace for any longer
than needed. When you put in for your clearance you can give them a
proposed departure time, if you sit there with the engine running after
you've done your run up and last pre-takeoff checks and wait for the
clearance time you won't burn that much hobbs and gas. As you do it
more you get a feel for how long it takes. 5 mins is a long time to
wait if you're all done and ready to go!

Dose anyone use any products like Visine ect for their eyes for extended
periods of IFR time?

I've never used it so I wouldn't know. I'd check AOPA or ask an AME.

Enjoy the clouds. much more comfortable without the foggles on isn't it!

Robert
Old June 22nd 05, 04:41 AM
Peter Duniho

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
[...]
Portland Approach Was Calling Out Traffic, Traffic 10:00 3,000' I
Responded
Portland We are at 5,000' Solid IFR Unable to See Traffic! Dose This
Happen
a Lot While IFR???? Was My Response Correct?

ATC has no way to know whether you are in a cloud or not. So they report
any traffic, as they would at any other time. As long as you acknowledge
the traffic report (so ATC knows you heard them), it probably doesn't matter
much what you actually say. Even in VMC, a traffic report may or may not
result in visual contact with the reported traffic, and ATC doesn't seem to
worry much about that.

5 Min Clearance Void Time, Dose this Happen a Lot, kinda puts the pressure
on ya!

Yes, it does. I try to avoid IFR clearances from the ground at
uncontrolled airports, but it's sometimes the only reasonable procedure.
Most of the time, I have been successful in either getting a larger window,
or a delayed window, or both. I especially like the delayed window, because
it allows ATC to decide how long to keep the airspace clear, but gives me
enough time to get back to the airplane, start up and get my taxi and runup
done in a relaxed manner.

Basically, just tell them when you think you'll actually be taking off, and
then get a clearance for that time, rather than for the moment at which
you're calling (unless, of course, you are at the runway ready to go,
talking on a cell phone).

Dose anyone use any products like Visine ect for their eyes for extended
periods of IFR time?

Um...do you use Visine for VFR flight? If not, you should have no need to
use it during IFR flight. Staying focused on the instruments doesn't mean
you should forget to blink.

Pete

Old June 22nd 05, 04:53 AM
George Patterson

Peter Duniho wrote:

Even in VMC, a traffic report may or may not
result in visual contact with the reported traffic, and ATC doesn't seem to
worry much about that.

Hummm ... When I get a traffic report from ATC and I can't spot the traffic,
the controller usually asks me after a minute or two whether I've spotted it or
not. Wonder if this is an eastcoast/westcoast thing?

This is usually VFR through or into class-C or class-D airspace, so I'm talking
to approach.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 22nd 05, 05:14 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 03:53:22 GMT, George Patterson
wrote in Sg5ue.8201$R6.380@trndny04::

When I get a traffic report from ATC and I can't spot the traffic,
the controller usually asks me after a minute or two whether I've spotted it or
not. Wonder if this is an eastcoast/westcoast thing?

My experience (west coast) has been, that ATC only continues to point
out the same conflicting traffic if there appears to be any chance of
a collision. Other than in those situations, I usually have to ask
ATC for the current position of the traffic if I haven't spotted it.

Old June 22nd 05, 08:44 AM
Peter Duniho

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Hummm ... When I get a traffic report from ATC and I can't spot the
traffic, the controller usually asks me after a minute or two whether I've
spotted it or not. Wonder if this is an eastcoast/westcoast thing?

Don't know. I usually am able to find the traffic, and do report being in
IMC if that's the case. But I can't remember a single time ATC prodded me
again to see if I was still looking for the traffic or not. That doesn't
mean it's never happened to me, but it certainly doesn't happen often if it
does.

I do fly primarily on the west coast, but I've made flights with extensive
contact with ATC across the entire country, including a couple of
corner-to-corner flights, one of which even took me over to the Bahamas, and
one of which was actually more of a "Z" shape (*) than a beeline from
Florida to Washington State. At least in the brief periods of time I was
flying on the east coast, I didn't experience anything like that.

I never did wind up farther north than Maryland, so maybe it's a Northeast
thing?

I have had ATC follow up a traffic call with a "traffic no factor" if I
haven't reported the traffic in sight (and sometimes even if I have). But
they've never bugged me about whether I've seen the traffic or not, if I
failed to report back to them about that.

This is usually VFR through or into class-C or class-D airspace, so I'm
talking to approach.

Well, one thing I wonder is how ATC's obligation changes if you report the
traffic in sight. That is, if they are providing you with separation
services, but you can report some traffic in sight, maybe they then do not
have to provide you with vectors. Of course, for VFR traffic this is a moot
point, but if they're in the habit of doing it for IFR traffic, they might
still do it for VFR traffic.

If that's the case, then I'd expect that habit to be more pronounced in more
congested airspace, such as that found in the Northeast. Even the Southeast
US doesn't have the traffic density, and in that respect is more similar to
the West.

Pete

(*) I hesitate to even bother fixing the "Z" reference, but I will anyway;
it's imprecise and that bugs me. The route was more of a "Z" rotated 90
degrees, then flipped about the horizontal axis, and finally stretched so
that the middle segment was nearly horizontal. North from Florida, then
almost due West to Lake Tahoe, then finally North again to Seattle. I
covered a lot more airspace during that trip than I did on my true
"corner-to-corner" flight.

Old June 22nd 05, 01:26 PM
Dave Butler

Peter Duniho wrote:

Well, one thing I wonder is how ATC's obligation changes if you report the
traffic in sight. That is, if they are providing you with separation
services, but you can report some traffic in sight, maybe they then do not
have to provide you with vectors. Of course, for VFR traffic this is a moot
point, but if they're in the habit of doing it for IFR traffic, they might
still do it for VFR traffic.

ATC maintains the responsibility for IFR-IFR separation unless you hear
"maintain visual separation from that traffic...".
Old June 22nd 05, 02:24 PM
Peter R.

Pete wrote:

Even in VMC, a traffic report may or may not
result in visual contact with the reported traffic, and ATC doesn't seem to
worry much about that.

In the northeast US, my experience differs. I have received climbs,
descents, and heading change instructions sooner after reporting visual
contact with reported traffic, whether the other aircraft were VFR or
IFR. While true that ATC may not worry whether I make contact or not,
I am pretty sure I am reducing their workload a bit when I do.

Just last Monday I was IFR and climbing out of my home airport to an
interim altitude assigned by ATC. Looking up ahead, I spotted a Cessna
Caravan at about 2,500 feet above me, crossing my flight path left to
right, that had not yet been announced by ATC. Thinking this might
have been the reason for my interim altitude (and hoping I could
prevent a level-off, which requires a lot of configuration change in
the Bonanza), I took it upon myself to call "unreported traffic at 11
o'clock in sight." ATC responded with, "Thank you. Maintain visual
separation with that aircraft, climb and maintain (my final filed
altitude)."

--
Peter

Old June 22nd 05, 02:49 PM
John T

NW_PILOT wrote:

Portland Approach Was Calling Out Traffic, Traffic 10:00 3,000' I
Responded Portland We are at 5,000' Solid IFR Unable to See Traffic!
Dose This Happen a Lot While IFR???? Was My Response Correct?

This isn't at all unusual since, as others have noted, ATC has no way of
knowing if you're in the clouds. Check out my recent flight to Richmond, VA
for such an example while I was on the ILS 16 approach (beware of line
wrap):

http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer/Perma...f612d74b2.aspx

- or -

http://tinyurl.com/82cjv

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old June 22nd 05, 05:01 PM
George Patterson

Peter Duniho wrote:

I never did wind up farther north than Maryland, so maybe it's a Northeast
thing?

Not northeast, AFAIK. The two that I remember most clearly were with Knoxville,
TN and Roanoke, VA. With Knoxville, I think the controller was required to
maintain separation until I spotted the traffic, but I never figured the ROA
situation out. A Mooney was IFR going south and I was VFR headed north. We
passed each other separated by at least half a mile laterally and 500'
vertically, but the controller called several times about it.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.

how much money have you lost on the lottery? NOW GET THAT MONEY BACK! shane Home Built 0 February 5th 05 08:54 AM
BD5B Big John Home Built 36 November 19th 03 01:07 AM
The Little Wheel in Back Veeduber Home Built 6 September 8th 03 10:29 AM
Localizer Back Course vs. ILS ilsub Instrument Flight Rules 8 August 25th 03 04:04 PM
they took me back in time and the nsa or japan wired my head and now they know the idea came from me so if your back in time and wounder what happen they change tim liverance history for good. I work at rts wright industries and it a time travel trap tim liverance Military Aviation 0 August 18th 03 12:18 AM