US Imported Glider - Port of Baltimore, MD USA

Old October 26th 05, 11:18 PM
Tim Hanke

Default US Imported Glider - Port of Baltimore, MD USA

Help needed! We have imported a used sailplane with a Komet Trailer to
the port of Baltimore in the United States and have had nothing but
problems with the US DOT trailer inspector. The Trailer is a 2001 Komet
trailer. The US DOT employee at Baltimore, Dick Merit, has been totally
unreasonable, ph: 202-366-5300, and will not allow us to move the
trailer because there isn't a US DOT certification sticker on the
trailer. We have requested to move the trailer on the flatbed truck and
he wouldn't allow this either. I have spoken to several individuals
who have imported trailers and gliders and no one has had these
problems. The trailer and glider has been at the port for a week now
and we are incurring storage fees of $120/ day. On the other hand we
are unable to have the US DOT preventing customs from releasing this
glider. I have tried talking to the SSA, National Soaring Museum,
Knauff, Wings and Wheels, etc. and no one has had this problem. Does
any one know anybody in the government that could help? Any one in DOT?
Any help is truly appreciated.

Ph: 518-885-5599
Or
E-mail: tim at adirondacksoaring.com

Old October 27th 05, 03:04 AM
Jack

Tim Hanke wrote:
Help needed! We have imported a used sailplane with a Komet Trailer to
the port of Baltimore in the United States and have had nothing but
problems with the US DOT trailer inspector.

Call your Congressman.

Jack
Old October 27th 05, 03:19 AM

Tim, if you're an SSA member, I'd call my regional director and ask him
to call the man in Hobbs to ask him to call the (wo)man at NAC to place
a call to deMerit and set him straight.

If you're not, well ...

~ted/2NO

Old October 27th 05, 11:57 AM
Tim Hanke

Did all that and more. No one has ever had this problem. SSA is
stumped. I spoke to an individual who imported 10 gliders in the last
five years on ratty trailer and has had no problem.

Old October 27th 05, 12:46 PM
Bruce

Tim Hanke wrote:
Did all that and more. No one has ever had this problem. SSA is
stumped. I spoke to an individual who imported 10 gliders in the last
five years on ratty trailer and has had no problem.

Yet another victory for bureaucracy over common sense.
But the USA has raised red tape to an art form so we should not be surprised...

At least in Africa when you get an irrational demand like that you KNOW all you
are actually doing is establishing the price...

--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57
Old October 27th 05, 01:25 PM
Tim Hanke

Jack,

I am hoping that this will be the way to go, as we have run out of
options.

Thanks!

Old October 27th 05, 01:57 PM

Tim Hanke wrote:
Jack,

I am hoping that this will be the way to go, as we have run out of
options.

Thanks!

Tim try contacting Hal Ennulat at Entec. They are US distributors
for Komet. He will know how to get what is needed to get into
compliance.
Sorry, I don't have his e-mail handy.
UH

Old October 27th 05, 02:13 PM
GM

Have you tried to talk to the Komet Trailer rep. in the US or to Komet
in Germany? Maybe they can provide the necessary documentation to proof
that these trailers are indeed road-worthy.

Uli Neumann

Old October 27th 05, 02:40 PM
Tim Hanke

Sent an e-mail to Komet in Germany with sn# etc... Spoke with Harold at
ENTEC also.

From what I am hearing, this should have been shipped to Charleston,

SC!!!!

Also, What I have failed to mention that a friend has imported an LS-7
with a homebuilt aluminum (Minden Type Trailer) in the same container.
I have NOT even began to attack this problem yet!!!

Old October 27th 05, 02:45 PM
Tim Hanke

Hank,

Already know what is needed...DOT tires, 2" ball, 4 prong lights. I
have all those availble off a 2001 Cobra. The problem is that they will

not let me into the port to switch this stuff out.

I have tried to haul this trailer out on a flatbed and that is not
allowed either.

Spinning my wheels!!!!

I have a call in to Congressman Sweeny's Office.

Thanks,
Tim

Aerodynamics of carrying water Gene Whitt Soaring 54 October 19th 05 07:24 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM