avionics shop - NJ, Eastern PA, IFR GPS

Old January 18th 04, 05:03 PM
Ken

Default avionics shop - NJ, Eastern PA, IFR GPS

Looking for an avionics shop in NJ or eastern PA. I want to get an
IFR moving map GPS installed in my Archer. Don't have the budget for
a GNS-430 or CNX-80 so I'm thinking either a KLN-89B or the Garmin
GPS-155XL. Any other thoughts in that price range? I'm hoping to
keep the entire bill under $4k. Any experiences with Penn Avionics at
Perkiomen?

Thanks,

Ken

Old January 18th 04, 05:51 PM

Ken wrote:
: Looking for an avionics shop in NJ or eastern PA. I want to get an
: IFR moving map GPS installed in my Archer. Don't have the budget for
: a GNS-430 or CNX-80 so I'm thinking either a KLN-89B or the Garmin
: GPS-155XL. Any other thoughts in that price range? I'm hoping to
: keep the entire bill under $4k. Any experiences with Penn Avionics at
: Perkiomen?

: Thanks,

: Ken

I don't have that kind of experience with them, but I bought a
yellow-tagged KY-197/KN-53/KI-203 settup used from them off ebay about 18
months ago. Everything worked as advertised, but the KI-203 indicator
seemed to have been damaged a bit, as there was plastic rattling around
inside. I called them up, and without flinching an inch they had another
(cosmetically even better) KI-203 in the mail to me for swap. I tech I
talked with also sent me the install manuals for them.

They pretty much do large-ish avionics upgrades so the ebay of old
stuff was not their normal MO, but definately friendly and supportive and
helped me out. Like I said, can't comment about walk-in prices, labor,
etc, but they were good to me.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old January 18th 04, 09:40 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Ken wrote:

Looking for an avionics shop in NJ or eastern PA.

Charlie Blackert, Airport Radio, Easton, PA.

Phone 610 258-4750

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 19th 04, 03:18 PM

Ken,

I just had a GPS-300XL installed by C&W Aero at Caldwell, NJ. This is a
quality shop. I believe their labor rate is $80/hour for avionics (that's
typical for this part of the country). Neil (the owner) is very helpful and
will steer you clear of some of the crap out there.

My total was around $8500 (including all parts) but I had some other work
done at the same time. In any case, your $4K limit may be a little tight.
Figure about $2000 for the installation alone (i.e. about 25 hours), then if
you want a legal IFR solution you'll need:

- A nav head which can accept GPS input
- An annuniciator (not needed for a 430 or 530)
- The GPS unit
- The appropriate paperwork (your installer takes care of this)

You may already have a usuable nav/head, but you probably don't have a GPS
annunicatior. Figure about $1000 for one of those (whichever shop you
choose may be able to give you a deal on a used one). That puts you at $3K
already and you haven't even purchased a GPS unit yet! You can probably
pick up a decent 89B on ebay for around $1K but I'd go with one of the
garmin units, they seem to have nicer displays, etc. If you don't have a
usable nav/head, add in another $500-$1000 to get one.

best of luck,
mark

Old January 19th 04, 10:16 PM
Baron Man

avoid this place like the plague!

their guestimates are way off...5-10 hrs usually mean 15.

and they usually can't fix the problem if it's anything beyond
the routine installation.

i had problems with engine oil leak. after 10 hrs billed - no
solution...took it somewhere else.

Old January 20th 04, 01:53 AM
Jim Kaufeld

We have the avionics work on our Seneca done at Performance Aviation.
They are at the Flying W airport in Lumberton NJ. That's just east
of Philly.

609-265-0555 ....

Jim

Old January 20th 04, 03:12 AM
Bob Chilcoat

We use Airborne Electronics (570-476-6228) at Stroudsberg-Pocono Airport
(N53). We've been very happy with Gary's work.

Old January 20th 04, 03:55 AM
Michelle P

Ken,
There is a good avionics shop at Lancaster, PA. I am not sure of the
exact name but everyone that has taken their plane there has been happy
with the outcome.

Michelle

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old January 20th 04, 02:47 PM
Rosspilot

I should mention that I've only had avionics work done at C&W, not
any other maintenance. This is the first negative comment I've heard about
them.

You can add mine. I was based at Caldwell for 5 years and C&W did all my work.
They do decent airframe and engine work (albeit way too expensive but I
question their method of figuring billable hours). The avionics guy, however,
is the weakest link. IMO, he is to be avoided like the plague.

www.Rosspilot.com