Hartzelll 3 blade prop

Old June 14th 04, 02:58 AM
Matt Whiting

Default Hartzelll 3 blade prop

Anyone here converted an Arrow 180 to a three-blade prop? My flying
club recently converted its Arrow when the two-blade prop was found to
be shot during its overhaul. The three-blade was cheaper than a
two-blade, which seems odd to me still, so that was the choice. The
problem is that it vibrates a lot, especially at lower RPM (below 2200).
I joined the club just after the replacement so I don't know what the
two-blade was like, but it now vibrates a lot more than my Skylane did
(I realize the 6 vs 4 cylinder engine likely makes some difference
here). However, other club members say it vibrates a lot more. We were
told that the prop could be mounted in one of two possible positions,
180 apart and that there was no way to know in advance which position
was correct (this also seems odd to me). After the first test flight,
the prop was remounted and the vibration was less, but still seems
excessive.

I'm just curious if others have noticed this. I would have thought the
three-blade would have been smoother if anything, but that certainly
isn't the case. We're considering taking the plane to a shop that can
do a prop balance, but the engine is near overhaul so we're considering
waiting until next winter when we'll get both done.

Matt

Old June 14th 04, 05:42 AM
BTIZ

if installed properly.. the tach should be marked for non continuous
operation in a range somewhere between 1900 and 2200 RPM.. (don't trust my
memory.. look it up) I've flown a 3 bladed arrow.. and yes.. when you pull
the power back.. it does vibrate as it comes down through that RPM range..

BT

Old June 14th 04, 03:11 PM
EDR

Sounds like the prop needs balanced.
You have a four cylinder engine with at three bladed prop. The cylinder
and prop impulses are oddly synched. More mass and inertia than with
the two blace.
Old June 14th 04, 03:22 PM
PaulH

I did the conversion on my Arrow and had the same problem. I had it
dynamically balanced and rotated 180 and it is now very smooth. There
should be a placard to avoid continuous operation at low power
settings within a certain range - can't remember the numbers, since
it's not a range I normally use for any length of time.

Be careful of power off approaches with prop in high pitch. Those 3
blades form a very effective speed brake in idle mode. It's useful to
do a crowbar approach while staying above jet vortices but requires
some practice.
Old June 15th 04, 12:25 AM
Matt Whiting

BTIZ wrote:

if installed properly.. the tach should be marked for non continuous
operation in a range somewhere between 1900 and 2200 RPM.. (don't trust my
memory.. look it up) I've flown a 3 bladed arrow.. and yes.. when you pull
the power back.. it does vibrate as it comes down through that RPM range..

Our tach was not remarked and there is no placarded prohibited range.
Ours vibrates from 2200 down to about 1200.

Matt

Old June 15th 04, 12:31 AM
Matt Whiting

PaulH wrote:

I did the conversion on my Arrow and had the same problem. I had it
dynamically balanced and rotated 180 and it is now very smooth. There
should be a placard to avoid continuous operation at low power
settings within a certain range - can't remember the numbers, since
it's not a range I normally use for any length of time.

That's encouraging to hear as we're considering a dynamic balance. The
prop was already rotated 180 and that made some difference, but not
much. No RPM prohibition was mentioned, but that may have been an
oversight.

Be careful of power off approaches with prop in high pitch. Those 3
blades form a very effective speed brake in idle mode. It's useful to
do a crowbar approach while staying above jet vortices but requires
some practice.

Yes, we learned this very quickly. At less than 1600 RPM the airplane
drops like a rock.

Matt

Old June 15th 04, 01:29 AM
BTIZ

Matt... the rental Arrow POH (in the airplane).. has information for both 2
blade and 3 blade prop installations from the factory... it has the limits
on the non-continuous operations in there.. and with a 3 blade prop
installed.. the limits should also be placarded and marked in red on the
tach..

Sounds like an incomplete installation... unless the STC that governs the
installation does not mention it... would be surprising..

The arrow performs nicely with a 3 bladed prop on an ILS approach..
configured and keeping the RPM as desired.. you need to practice the
approach speeds and "fly by the numbers".. screw up the configuration.. ie
needing idle power to get down to the glide slope and that prop really
complains... or when pulling the power during the flare after breaking out
at 200ft.

Ivo Prop on O-320 Dave S Home Built 14 October 15th 04 03:04 AM
3 blade prop position on 6cyl engine. Paul Lee Home Built 3 February 26th 04 12:47 AM
Pitch and Diameter of 3 blade prop for IO-360 200HP Bart D. Hull Home Built 1 December 11th 03 11:42 PM
IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 6th 03 11:43 PM
Metal Prop vs. Wood Prop Larry Smith Home Built 21 September 26th 03 07:45 PM