12 Volt DC input Battery Charger

Old March 13th 04, 06:52 AM
Michael I Green

Default 12 Volt DC input Battery Charger

My dual input ( 12 VDC & 115 VAC) battery charger died on me last
summer. Does anyone know of a replacement? I would be satisfied with
just a 12 VDC input for a 12V 7-10 Ah Powersonic Battery.

Mike Green

_____

`-----------( )-----------'
'
mighty gorilla
Duo Discus N175DD
PW-5 N80MG

Old March 13th 04, 02:31 PM
d b

Check the model airplane folks. They have some very fancy chargers that
can be used to field charge from a 12V source. Not cheap.

Old March 14th 04, 09:41 AM
Paul Jewell

Newsgroup: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: 12 Volt DC input Battery Charger
Author: Paul Repacholi
Date/Time: 08:30 14 March 2004
(d b) writes:

Check the model airplane folks. They have some very fancy chargers
that can be used to field charge from a 12V source. Not cheap.

They are for fast charging NiCd or NiMH cells. Put one on a lead acid
gell cell, and you will kill it!

They range in price, and capability. Some are indeed only for Nicad or
NiMH, but some also have settings for lead acid cells. I have a Graupner
UltraDuo II, and it more than satisfies the needs of all these cell
types. Of course the problem with gell cells is that the maximum charge
rate is limited by the cell construction, so "fast charge" may not
actually be what you expect. Out of interest, the charger mentioned is
not limited by the 12v input source - it is capable of charging up to 30
cells (42v) as a pack, with maximum charging current of 5A (I'm quoting
from memory - none of my packs are that large, so check the actual specs
before commiting yourself to anything!).

Rgds.,
Paul