Maybe worse than paying for airspace

Old September 13th 04, 02:46 PM
Gary Evans

Default Maybe worse than paying for airspace

From the AOPA newsletter

AOPA WORKS THE HILL TO DEFEAT 'RIDICULOUS' GA SECURITY
BILL
The moment word first leaked out that Rep. Anthony
Weiner (D-N.Y.) wanted to impose security restrictions
on general aviation that would exceed even those of
the airlines, AOPA's Legislative Affairs staff sprung
into action, lobbying against the bill. 'This is preposterous,
unrealistic, and unnecessary,' said AOPA President
Phil Boyer. 'General aviation is not a threat. The
Transportation Security Administration has already
said so.' Weiner's bill, H.R. 5035, would mandate the
same screening for all passengers and property aboard
GA aircraft that is required for the airlines. It would
also prohibit any aircraft other than an airliner from
flying over cities with populations of 1 million or
more, or operating within 1,500 feet of any building.
'In light of everything that has already been done,
requirements like those Rep. Weiner would impose would
kill all of general aviation,' Boyer added. AOPA has
outlined its strong opposition to the legislation in
meetings with Republican and Democratic staff of the
House aviation subcommittee. The association is also
using its extensive network of relationships with key
members of the subcommittee in fighting the bill.

Old September 13th 04, 04:31 PM
Eric Greenwell

Around the world, more people have been killed with car/tru bombs than
civilian aircraft, but I don't see the Rep. Weiner proposing anything
about it. A van can carry far more explosives than the majority of
aircraft - imagine what a semi-trailer full of explosives could do in
New York City. I suggest he doesn't understand the situation.

Another good reason for soaring pilots to belong to AOPA.

Gary Evans wrote:
From the AOPA newsletter

[...]

Washington State
USA

Old September 13th 04, 06:01 PM
Pete Reinhart

It's pretty clear that the good people of NY didn't send their best and
brightest guy to Washington. He probably represents the level of knowledge
the general population has of GA.
I think I will finally get over my dislike of Richard Collins superir
attitude and join AOPA again
Cheers!
From the AOPA newsletter

Old September 13th 04, 10:03 PM
For Example John Smith

Depends on whether you're trying to define and limit threats to public
safety or grandstand for media attention and votes.
Doing something effective won't create media attention or garner votes--this
could.
He probably understands that situation very well.

Don't vote for republicans or democrats--it only encourages them.

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Around the world, more people have been killed with car/tru bombs than
civilian aircraft, but I don't see the Rep. Weiner proposing anything
about it. A van can carry far more explosives than the majority of
aircraft - imagine what a semi-trailer full of explosives could do in
New York City. I suggest he doesn't understand the situation.

Another good reason for soaring pilots to belong to AOPA.

From the AOPA newsletter

Old September 14th 04, 03:45 AM
BTIZ

"Pete Reinhart" wrote in message
It's pretty clear that the good people of NY didn't send their best and
brightest guy to Washington. He probably represents the level of

knowledge
the general population has of GA.
I think I will finally get over my dislike of Richard Collins superir
attitude and join AOPA again
Cheers!

Pete.. Richard Collins writes for "Flying Magazine" owned (last I knew) by a
Japanese publishing company..

Richard does not write for AOPA

BT

Old September 14th 04, 03:23 PM
Pete Reinhart

Yeah, But he used to use it as his personal platform and that's why I
terminated my membership.
Cheers! (I don't buy flying any moere either)

Old September 14th 04, 05:51 PM
Nyal Williams

I think we should accept help anywhere we can get
it; the perfect representative will never be found.