NTSB Preliminary report on HPN crash

Old May 5th 05, 03:14 AM
Peter R.

Default NTSB Preliminary report on HPN crash

Tom Fleischman k wrote:

If you want to read something really disturbing, this is it.

Is there something specific that is disturbing, or are you referring to the
entire report? I read through it and, while it is always disturbing when
an accident results in fatalities, I honestly didn't see anything that
stuck out as *really disturbing* such as drugs, alcohol, or a blatant
mistake. What did I miss?

--
Peter

Old May 5th 05, 03:27 AM
Steve S

How about why is an instructor taking a primary student, he doesn't even
have a pp-asel, up in 200- 1/2 with a 0 temp/dew point spread?

"Peter R." wrote in message
Tom Fleischman k wrote:

If you want to read something really disturbing, this is it.

Is there something specific that is disturbing, or are you referring to
the
entire report? I read through it and, while it is always disturbing when
an accident results in fatalities, I honestly didn't see anything that
stuck out as *really disturbing* such as drugs, alcohol, or a blatant
mistake. What did I miss?

--
Peter

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old May 5th 05, 03:36 AM
Peter R.

Steve S wrote:

How about why is an instructor taking a primary student, he doesn't even
have a pp-asel, up in 200- 1/2 with a 0 temp/dew point spread?

That fact had been discussed heavily in this group already. I guess I was
expecting to read some additional information that was not already
mentioned in those long threads.

--
Peter

Old May 5th 05, 11:46 AM
Greg Farris

Maybe I'm missing something as well.
I fail to understand why everyone is making a big deal of this accident, and
the coverage it received in the press, when I don't see anything so unusual
about either.

Certainly the accident is regrettable, and it is highly likely that the final
report will come in with PIC error as causal and low IFR weather as
contributing. We'll wait and see, but this is most likely.

Taking a pre-PPL student up in these conditions for IFR training may be a poor
use of the student's time and money, but the CFI is PIC, and if he's current,
IFR with lots of experience and lots of recent time, there's nothing so
"shocking" about it.

If we're lucky, there will be something we can all learn from this accident.
But just as likely there will be a sum of circumstances that simply got the
better of the crew's resources. Poor judgement to go there under these
conditions? Probably - but then IFR is meant to fly in poor conditions, and
still leave your options open if it gets below minimums. When the facts are
all in, will we end up with the feeling they should have diverted elsewhere?
Maybe.

I think it's useful to discuss accidents - even typical accidents - as there
is something instructive in trying to understand how they let themselves get
in too deep (if this turns out to be the case); But I fail to see what is so
shocking or unusual about this particular accident, or the press coverage of
it.

G Faris

Old May 5th 05, 11:48 AM

On Wed, 4 May 2005 22:27:09 -0400, "Steve S"
wrote:

How about why is an instructor taking a primary student, he doesn't even
have a pp-asel, up in 200- 1/2 with a 0 temp/dew point spread?

Where does it say that a pilot needs a pp-asel in order to take
instrument instruction?

Old May 5th 05, 11:53 AM
Matt Whiting

Peter R. wrote:

Tom Fleischman k wrote:

If you want to read something really disturbing, this is it.

Is there something specific that is disturbing, or are you referring to the
entire report? I read through it and, while it is always disturbing when
an accident results in fatalities, I honestly didn't see anything that
stuck out as *really disturbing* such as drugs, alcohol, or a blatant
mistake. What did I miss?

My reaction also. Fatal accidents are always disturbing in general, but
nothing in particular jumped out of this summary.

Matt
Old May 5th 05, 11:55 AM
Matt Whiting

Steve S wrote:

How about why is an instructor taking a primary student, he doesn't even
have a pp-asel, up in 200- 1/2 with a 0 temp/dew point spread?

To show him what an instrument approach looks like? If the instructor
was qualified and current, this shouldn't have been a problem.
Descending below minimums is the problem, it doesn't matter who is
flying or who is in the right seat.

Matt
Old May 5th 05, 12:10 PM

On Thu, 5 May 2005 06:57:16 -0400, "Steve S"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

How about why is an instructor taking a primary student, he doesn't even
have a pp-asel, up in 200- 1/2 with a 0 temp/dew point spread?

Where does it say that a pilot needs a pp-asel in order to take
instrument instruction?

It's not a question of needing one, just that there is limited benefit, if
any, of instrument instruction to a student still learning basic attitude
flying, navigation etc.

Maybe the student just wanted to see what it was like. Sort of like
folks who take aerobatic rides, glider rides, balloon rides. Limited
benefit? Who can judge?

Old May 5th 05, 12:53 PM
Gary Drescher

"Steve S" wrote in message
How about why is an instructor taking a primary student, he doesn't even
have a pp-asel, up in 200- 1/2 with a 0 temp/dew point spread?

It's not necessarily unreasonable to show a primary student what LIFR is
like, if the student is interested in the experience. (I have a friend who's
a lapsed student pilot who wants to come along sometime when I shoot
approaches in IMC. I'm happy to oblige, and I'm not even a CFI.) The
reported winds were benign, and the reported ceiling and visibility were
adequate for the approach. It should've been easy for a competent instrument
pilot.

But given the low-altitude alert and the apparently continued low altitude
until impact, it seems conceivable that the instructor was actually letting
the student fly the approach, and failed to take control when the plane got
dangerously low.

--Gary