Replacement canopies

Old September 6th 19, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Replacement canopies

Is there anyone in the US that can blow a replacement canopy for a ASW20?
Old September 6th 19, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 7:25:40 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Is there anyone in the US that can blow a replacement canopy for a ASW20?

The factory canopy for the ASW, like that of pretty much every modern composite sailplane, is stretch molded over a plug or mandrel, not free-blown. That process provides precise control over the shape, so it fits the fuselage contours perfectly. The shape of a free-blown canopy is dictated by air pressure and stress in the acrylic membrane such that it is hard to control, and very unlikely to duplicate the contour of a molded canopy.

The place in the US that is most likely to be able to mold a canopy for ASW20 is Aircraft Windshields in Los Alamitos, CA, near LA. Contact them and ask if they have a plug for the '19 or '20. If not, either you or them would have to make the plug, in which case you are probably better off just buying the transparency from Schleicher.

The guy in Florida who took over Todds can probably free-blow a canopy for you. It might even look OK from certain perspectives. But overall it won't replace the factory unit.

--Bob K.
Old September 6th 19, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Link to an Argentinian company that produces glider canopies and other aircraft windshields:
https://spaeroparts.com/
Old September 6th 19, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 10:25:40 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Is there anyone in the US that can blow a replacement canopy for a ASW20?

False economy!
But a factory canopy that will be correct and fit.
Money saved on off brand canopy will be eaten up by extra installation labor.
UH
Old September 6th 19, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 12:06:11 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Link to an Argentinian company that produces glider canopies and other aircraft windshields:
https://spaeroparts.com/

Thanks! I'll check if they can make canopies for me.
Old September 7th 19, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

I was quoted $2,000 for the canopy with the hole cut for the sliding window and sliding window included. But $2,000 for freight and customs. Total of $4,000.
I would be interested in bundling 3-4 canopies into one box to save on freight. I am talking ASW19-20 canopies here.

Having installed 3 canopies so far and tried the blown canopies. I would strongly encourage interested parties to go with the factory molded ones. The blown canopies just don’t look right and don’t fit well.
Old September 7th 19, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

Having installed a fair number of factory (Mecaplex) canopies and half a dozen aftermarket (Thermotec, the guys in SoCal) and a homemade unit) , I believe Hanks is spot-on. And the results of aftermarket canopies have been very unsatisfying. I would decline to install aftermarket unit today.

The Mecaplex units are stunning in their fit and optics. I bought an AS-W12 canopy 20+ years after production of the ship ceased and it was perfect. Such service deserves our support.

Could you reduce the shipping on a current manufacture by ordering from the dealer? They could ship it in one of their container loads.
Old September 12th 19, 10:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 5:25:40 PM UTC+3, wrote:
Is there anyone in the US that can blow a replacement canopy for a ASW20?

We replaced our ASW20 canopy a few months back. Both Schleicher and Mecaplex quoted very long lead times. Ultimately purchased from plexiweiss.de . Very nice product, price and service.
Uri
Old September 12th 19, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 2:39:03 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 5:25:40 PM UTC+3, wrote:
Is there anyone in the US that can blow a replacement canopy for a ASW20?

We replaced our ASW20 canopy a few months back. Both Schleicher and Mecaplex quoted very long lead times. Ultimately purchased from plexiweiss.de . Very nice product, price and service.
Uri

Is Plexiweiss the canopy that Jonker Sailplanes uses?
Jim
Old September 12th 19, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Hill[_3_]

On 12/09/2019 16:05, JS wrote:
On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 2:39:03 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 5:25:40 PM UTC+3, wrote:
Is there anyone in the US that can blow a replacement canopy for a ASW20?

We replaced our ASW20 canopy a few months back. Both Schleicher and Mecaplex quoted very long lead times. Ultimately purchased from plexiweiss.de . Very nice product, price and service.
Uri

Is Plexiweiss the canopy that Jonker Sailplanes uses?
Jim

Not sure about Jonker but the HPH Sharks are plexiweiss. Had a new
Plexiwiess bubble for an LS4 this year and am very happy with it.

Plexiweiss were happy to take the order direct, Mecaplex referred us to DG.

--

Nick Hill

Tinted canopies Gerry Simpson Soaring 21 September 17th 18 06:31 PM
K6 cr Canopies Rob Shepherd Soaring 1 April 4th 11 07:21 PM
micro mesh on canopies BB Soaring 9 November 14th 07 12:24 AM
Grob 103 Canopies Terry Healy Soaring 0 January 15th 04 04:29 PM
Who makes Canopies? spektr Home Built 7 August 5th 03 02:04 PM