Sailplane Upholstery

Old February 15th 06, 04:23 AM
Gadget Guy Gadget Guy is offline
Junior Member

Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Default Sailplane Upholstery

One of the winter projects that I have not completed as of yet is replacing the interior fabric. Does anyone know of a shop that sells fabric that resembles the material coming from the factory? I would prefer here in the US if possible.

John
DG-300 "XLT"
Old February 15th 06, 11:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I suggest a Upholstery shop in your area. They will have a large selection
of material ( or buy material at a local fabric shop)and the skill to
duplicate what you have. I would not waste any time overseas unless you want
to spend about 10 times what the job is worth. I assume you want to replace
the side wall panels in the cockpit. A Marine cover shop would be a second
choice. You'll obviously have to remove the existing panels intact so the
maker can use them as a template for the new panels.

Good Luck,

Bob Fidler (F1)

--
Gadget Guy

Old February 15th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

John,

I would be careful to go to a shop that sells fabric for aircraft that
is traceable with lot and ID numbers as well as proof that it meets the
FAR's for fire resistance. Get all of this information logged in your
log books. If not you may have trouble getting through an annual. I
once had to do the FAR specified burn test to prove to my A&P that the
material we used was acceptable to put in the glider during a rebuild
on a Blanik L-13.

Tim

Old February 15th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gadget Guy wrote:
One of the winter projects that I have not completed as of yet is
replacing the interior fabric. Does anyone know of a shop that sells
fabric that resembles the material coming from the factory? I would
prefer here in the US if possible.

Is your glider registered EXP? I had great results with a custom auto
shop, who build interiors for hot rods. My old LS-4 N4203Y had a very
comfortable cockpit done at Custom Landau in Bakersfield, California.
Take the glider and parachute to your local shop and have them
measure everything. Think of where you've been missing support or where
there's too much, have them adjust it. Have them make new elbow
cushions, etc, too. They can come up with material that is close
enough. And I have used hundreds of non-STC'd cushions made at anywhere
from home to the glider manufacturer, never heard of seat cushions in a
glider being found not airworthy.
Similarly had great results taking the glider to my parachute rigger
and having him build me a chute, when Manley Butler was in California
City.
Jim

Duster Plans For Sale - BJ-1b fullsize sailplane plans WoodHawk Soaring 0 April 25th 05 04:37 AM
In Italy - a symposium on saring flight and sailplane construction/design cernauta Soaring 0 September 10th 04 01:26 AM
Upholstery Cleaner? Alan Bloom Owning 3 August 20th 04 11:17 PM
Ultralight sailplane aerotow liability Caracole Soaring 18 April 1st 04 09:17 PM
"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" available as a download(new edition) Eric Greenwell Soaring 0 March 23rd 04 06:27 PM