Legal or not?

Old August 30th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Default Legal or not?

GPS can substitute for the ADF. Radar can substitute also.
So, if the acft has no ADF or the NDB is OTS, so, it could
be.

"Rick McPherson" wrote in
message ...
| On Aug 28 I was practicing approaches at KAGC (FEW 008 BKN
012 OVR 025 4SM
| BR). My preflight brief indicated that the McKeesport NDB
is out of service.
| Yet, the ATIS identified runway 28 as active and we were
given the ILS 28
| approach for practice (upon request). Is this approach
legal without the

http://download.aopa.org/ustprocs/20...ils_rwy_28.pdf

| As a side note, is the equipment that you fly still using
ADF?

Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
| http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
Encryption =----

Old August 30th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Brad[_1_]

Rick McPherson wrote:
On Aug 28 I was practicing approaches at KAGC (FEW 008 BKN 012 OVR 025 4SM
BR). My preflight brief indicated that the McKeesport NDB is out of service.
Yet, the ATIS identified runway 28 as active and we were given the ILS 28
approach for practice (upon request). Is this approach legal without the
beacon?

No, unless you have a IFR certified GPS receiver(TSO C129 or TSO
C145/146a). "ADF Required" is written on chart, so you must have a
means of navigating to the NDB. If you were practicing the procedure
under VFR, then yes you were legal.

http://download.aopa.org/ustprocs/20...ils_rwy_28.pdf

As a side note, is the equipment that you fly still using ADF?

No XM on board, so it does serve minimal enroute entertainment value.
Not many NDB's or procedures left where I fly.

Old August 30th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler[_1_]

Brad wrote:
Rick McPherson wrote:

On Aug 28 I was practicing approaches at KAGC (FEW 008 BKN 012 OVR 025 4SM
BR). My preflight brief indicated that the McKeesport NDB is out of service.
Yet, the ATIS identified runway 28 as active and we were given the ILS 28
approach for practice (upon request). Is this approach legal without the
beacon?

No, unless you have a IFR certified GPS receiver(TSO C129 or TSO
C145/146a). "ADF Required" is written on chart, so you must have a
means of navigating to the NDB. If you were practicing the procedure
under VFR, then yes you were legal.

http://download.aopa.org/ustprocs/20...ils_rwy_28.pdf

As a side note, is the equipment that you fly still using ADF?

No XM on board, so it does serve minimal enroute entertainment value.
Not many NDB's or procedures left where I fly.

Does anyone besides me think the note should read "ADF OR RADAR REQUIRED"?
Old August 30th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dane Spearing

The use of an approach certified GPS in lieu of an ADF is addressed in
AIM 1-1-19f. See:

http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/AIM/Chap1/aim0101.html#1-1-19

In a nutshell, yes, you can use your IFR approach certified GPS in lieu
of an ADF for identifying the OM on an ILS approach, and/or for identifying
a missed approach fix.

In answering your second question, no, I don't have an ADF in my aircraft.

-- Dane

Old August 30th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Brad[_1_]

Dave Butler wrote:

Does anyone besides me think the note should read "ADF OR RADAR REQUIRED"?

If MKP was a Radar Fix, they could.

Old August 30th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Brad[_1_]

Rick McPherson wrote:
Dane and Brad,

Does the 076 degree radial from AGC not accomplish the same thing? Or, is
this just a feeder route to get one from the VOR to the IAP? Either way, it
marks the position of the station while on the localizer at 3000. By the
way, I do agree that this approach is NA without ADF or a reliable signal
from the station.

Nope, you're correct, its just a feeder route to the IAF. If MKP was
an intersection, you'd see MKP INT on the profile and plan view. The
076 line and arrow would extend all the way to the fix, rather than
just pointing towards the fix as the feeder route does. Distance and
angle did not meet the terps requirement to serve as a radial to
identify it as a intersection fix.

Old August 30th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler[_1_]

Brad wrote:
Dave Butler wrote:

Does anyone besides me think the note should read "ADF OR RADAR REQUIRED"?

If MKP was a Radar Fix, they could.

I don't follow.

The only need to identify MKP is as an IAF. There's no step-down, no turn, it's
not required for flying the missed. If you have either ADF (for the full
approach) or RADAR (receiving vectors to final) you should able to safely fly
the approach.

Old August 30th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Rick McPherson wrote:
On Aug 28 I was practicing approaches at KAGC (FEW 008 BKN 012 OVR 025 4SM
BR). My preflight brief indicated that the McKeesport NDB is out of service.
Yet, the ATIS identified runway 28 as active and we were given the ILS 28
approach for practice (upon request). Is this approach legal without the
beacon?
http://download.aopa.org/ustprocs/20...ils_rwy_28.pdf

As a side note, is the equipment that you fly still using ADF?

Since it was a practice approach (VFR I assume) it would be legal even
if the loc was out of service.
However, even as an acutal IFR approach it can still be given assuming
you can identify the ADF on your GPS.

-Robert, CFII

Old August 30th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Rick McPherson

Rick McPherson wrote:
On Aug 28 I was practicing approaches at KAGC (FEW 008 BKN 012 OVR 025 4SM
BR). My preflight brief indicated that the McKeesport NDB is out of
service.
Yet, the ATIS identified runway 28 as active and we were given the ILS 28
approach for practice (upon request). Is this approach legal without the
beacon?
http://download.aopa.org/ustprocs/20...ils_rwy_28.pdf

As a side note, is the equipment that you fly still using ADF?

Rick

News==----
Newsgroups
=----