Club Class Gliders

Old November 30th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sam Giltner[_1_]

Default Club Class Gliders

DG news letter, Winter maintenance
If you don't specifically ask, the inspector doing the annual will
probably not do a complete lubrication of all bearings. It really
doesn't matter if a particular bearing is lubricated only every other or
even third year but if a control system doesn't get greased for 15 years,
you shouldn't be puzzled when it becomes stiff or even freezes up.

Translation David Noyes, Ohio

My LS1-F was turned up side down to inspect the bearings that are in the
elevator control system at the base of verticle fin. These are not exposed
without removing the skid and boaring a small inspection hole in the bottom
of the fuselage. While these bearings are free from the elements and
seemed to be in good shape they were dry. I am sure they had not been
lubricated since the ship was new 1975. Way longer than the 15 year period
mentioned above. Lubrication was definitely needed!
I recommend that all older Club Class gliders have these bearings
inspected at the next annual. Thanks, 5U

Old December 1st 08, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Nov 30, 2:45*pm, Sam Giltner wrote:
Lubrication was definitely needed!
I recommend that all older Club Class gliders have these bearings
inspected at the next annual. *Thanks, 5U

What type of bearing was it? Schleicher uses 2 types of rod end
bearings, those with metal seals and those with felt seals. I know no
way to effectively lubricate the hard sealed bearings but do put a
token amount of lubricant on those I can reach. The felt sealed
bearings are both easy to lubricate and also very poorly sealed
against contamination. I lubricate all the ones I can reach but
there are several that cannot be reached without cutting the glider
open.

In my opinion they are best left alone. If holes have to be cut to
lubricate them I'd rather wait the 30 years until they develop play
then replace them.

Any expert opinions out there? JJ?

Andy

Old December 1st 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

On Dec 1, 4:49*am, Andy wrote:
[...]

Hi Sam & Andy,
Our glass slippers are full of bearings that can't be lubed or even
seen without cutting holes. The factory knows this and I assume they
are OK with not ever lubing some bearings, or until a real problem
arises. Older Venti's will develope stiff ailerons due in part to a
hidden bearing that needs lube in the wings. I have a long plastic
tube that fits the spray-can lube nozzle and I'll fish it in as far as
I can see with my 12 volt light also on a long goose-neck and give
everything a shot to loosen the factory grease. That's all we can do
outside of cutting holes. Like I said, the factory must be OK with
this and I only start drilling when the screeching becomes unbearable
or the control becomes stiff.
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old December 1st 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Dec 1, 10:20*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
On Dec 1, 4:49*am, Andy wrote:

[...]

JJ knows this, but for those that do not...

Older Venti have an innovative ground-breaking (read damn-
peculiar and given up on later models) drive system for the
flaperons, using a cam-follower. Now, the track that the cam
rides in is lined with teflon. Unfortunate lubrication of said track
attracts every bit of dust and fiber-grinding-debris in the wing and
results in stiff control operation and abrasion of the teflon track.

Don't go blasting lubrication in there...

Hope this helps,
See ya, Dave "YO electric"
Old December 3rd 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 08:54:50 -0800 (PST), DRN wrote:

.... text deleted ...

Older Venti have an innovative ground-breaking (read damn-
peculiar and given up on later models) drive system for the
flaperons, using a cam-follower. Now, the track that the cam
rides in is lined with teflon. Unfortunate lubrication of said track
attracts every bit of dust and fiber-grinding-debris in the wing and
results in stiff control operation and abrasion of the teflon track.

Don't go blasting lubrication in there...

Hope this helps,
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

Just so no one get confused, the "older Ventii" refers to the Ventus A
and B models with the trailing edge dive brake/flap combination. The
Ventus C with full span flapperons and SH dive brakes did not use this
troublesome drive arrangement.

Bob

Club class/Sports class Sam Giltner[_1_] Soaring 7 September 28th 08 12:17 AM
Club Class vs. Sports Class noel.wade Soaring 28 September 25th 08 02:52 AM
US Win on Day 1 at Club Class WGC Susan Soaring 2 July 16th 06 06:53 PM
SPORTS CLASS/CLUB CLASS 5 ugly Soaring 0 July 2nd 06 11:14 PM
UK Open Class and Club Class Nationals - Lasham Steve Dutton Soaring 0 August 6th 03 10:07 PM