Flying from North America to Hawaii

Old March 19th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default Flying from North America to Hawaii

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
"Ron Webb" wrote:
Come to Alaska first. Then head south from Cold Bay, Ak airport, stop
at Midway Island, Then proceed to Kawai' airport on the northernmost
of the major Hawaiian islands, and never require a leg more than 1300
miles.

I used Google Earth's measuring tool to get an estimate of the distance
from Cold Bay, Ak to Midway Atoll and it measured the distance at about
2000 sm, or ~1700 nm. Just curious, but what charts or tools did you use
establish the 1300 miles estimate?

I wonder if Google Earth uses a great circle measuring method?
--
Jim in NC

Old March 19th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Ron Webb" wrote

Come to Alaska first. Then head south from Cold Bay, Ak airport, stop at
Midway Island, Then proceed to Kawai' airport on the northernmost of the
major Hawaiian islands, and never require a leg more than 1300 miles.
If I don't make it, who cares...I'll just land and siphon fuel from the
nearest boat;^}- or maybe raise a sail for the last bit...

Now let's hear from the flame artists, telling me why it's impossible.

No flames from me, but wouldn't you have to have near dead calm conditions,
to land in the middle of the ocean, amidst all of the swells? Then, if you
do land, would you be able to take off again?

Actually, I can just see you raising a mast on top of your airplane, and
sailing into the nearest harbor. I would pay money, to see that! g
--
Jim in NC

Old March 19th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

COLIN LAMB wrote:
snip

In the Dole California-to-Hawaii air race, at least one airplane was denied
entry into the race by the FAA because the calculated fuel (using the
pilot's numbers) was only sufficient to get a bit more than half way across.
The pilot said he was expecting tail winds to make up the difference.

Not any stranger than I guy I knew 20 years ago who wanted to make a
Long EZ, add external tanks and JATO for a flight from Hawaii to CONUS.

I wonder if he's ever going to try it.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old March 20th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Don

A frind of mine lives in Brisbon. He flew his B58 Baron to the
States. Longest leg was Hilo to the West coast. He had the aft seats
removed and replaced with a tank. Special ferry permit for an
overweight takeoff. Fuse tank fed the left main through the quick
drain fitting and a hand pump to back up the electric one. Garmin 430
with a backup handheld

OLC North America Dan Soaring 21 December 15th 06 06:09 PM
OT-Hawaii [email protected] Home Built 7 February 14th 06 04:29 PM
OT-Hawaii Montblack Piloting 3 February 14th 06 12:13 AM
Rentals in Hawaii? Nathan Young Piloting 10 May 5th 04 01:30 PM
Gliding in Hawaii Charles Petersen Soaring 2 August 3rd 03 06:19 AM