PowerFLARM

Old November 5th 10, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default PowerFLARM

Hi,

I have finally added PowerFLARM to my web site. I have tried to make it a
valuable resource with new photos and dimensional drawings not found
elsewhere.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flarm.htm

I'm taking a lot of orders for PowerFLARM units. Group Discounts are shown
on the web site. Note that the discounts go down dramatically after 2010.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old November 5th 10, 10:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Nov 5, 5:49*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,

I have finally added PowerFLARM to my web site. *I have tried to make it a
valuable resource with new photos and dimensional drawings not found
elsewhere.http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flarm.htm

I'm taking a lot of orders for PowerFLARM units. *Group Discounts are shown
on the web site. *Note that the discounts go down dramatically after 2010.

The discount structure is ... interesting.

For example, 80 units are cheaper than 79.
Old November 5th 10, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Bruce,

I'm not sure I understand your comment. Any discount structure has points
at which the discount changes. That is done to motivate additional sales,
and because it is less expensive to import and ship batches of units than
single units.

I didn't create the discount structure. I am just following the recommended
discounts proposed by FLARM.

There are many soaring clubs putting together some very nice orders. It is
exciting to see the PowerFLARM building the required "critical mass" very
quickly.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old November 5th 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

Paul, your website says "The standard unit does not have Engine Noise
Level recording enabled. It can be enabled for $100."

I assume this means that if you bought a motorglider in the future, you
would not need to have the unit physically modified as the ENL hardware
is already there? Is there a software code that would enable the ENL?

Old November 5th 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Greg,

I believe that the ENL hardware is in every unit and it can be enabled with
a key - which can be purchased at an time for $100. But I am not 100%
certain about that. I have sent an inquiry to find the precise answer.

I was surprised to learn that the PowerFLARM units will be IGC approved, but
will not have the logger's altimeter calibrated upon arrival. Their take on
it is that it only needs to be calibrated after a successful badge or record
flight. I'm sure that will save them a lot of labor before shipping the
units, and help keep the cost reasonable. Of course, I offer an option to
calibrate the unit before shipment, or anytime.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old November 5th 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

At the PASCO seminar, Urs was asked the same question and his answer
was that ENL is software enabled.

Ramy

On Nov 5, 8:40*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
[...]

For example, 80 units are cheaper than 79.- Hide quoted text -

Old November 5th 10, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David[_13_]

Paul,

Nice page and info. Thanks!

I am wondering about the antennae in the brick version.

It says: "remote antennas". Is the intent that the antennae be
attached directly to the brick or be remote *to* the brick (as
in transponder installations)?

Either way, it raises interesting installation challenges.

If attached to the brick, of course it raised questions about how
good reception/transmission will be if the brick is installed in/
behind
the instrument panel (together with a bunch of other metallic
objects).

If remote to the brick, the challenge is similar to a transponder,
routing
coax, finding a good place for the antennae, securing them, orienting
them, etc.

David

Old November 5th 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Nov 5, 10:28*am, David wrote:
Paul,

Nice page and info. Thanks!

I am wondering about the antennae in the brick version.

It says: "remote antennas". Is the intent that the antennae be
attached directly to the brick or be remote *to* the brick (as
in transponder installations)?

Either way, it raises interesting installation challenges.

If attached to the brick, of course it raised questions about how
good reception/transmission will be if the brick is installed in/
behind
the instrument panel (together with a bunch of other metallic
objects).

If remote to the brick, the challenge is similar to a transponder,
routing
coax, finding a good place for the antennae, securing them, orienting
them, etc.

David

The antennas on the brick really will not be able to be used behind a
typical instrument panel. They will need to be mounted above the
panel. This is not different than current Flarm products from third
parties (e.g. the Red Box) that allow mounting the box behind the
panel. And all those products warn you don't put the antennas behind
the panel.

I believe on PowerFLARM there a second Flarm antenna port (so you have
two flarm and one 1090ES) if the owner wants to this would usually be
used with a flarm antenna outside the glider and one above the panel.
If there is a transponder antenna external you will do not want an
external flarm antenna installed close to that. The reason for the
option of installing a second flarm antennas is they operate at much
lower power then transponders or 1090ES. I expect most brick users
will start with the flarm and 1090ES antennas that come with the brick
mounted above the instrument panel and see how that goes. I don't know
exactly what antenna/cabling will come with the brick but I'd expect
the types of stub antenna and short cable with SMA connector that is
supplied for the RedBox Flarm and similar to the "remote" antenna
option for the Zaon MRX.

Darryl
Old November 5th 10, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 11/5/2010 8:40 AM, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Greg,

I believe that the ENL hardware is in every unit and it can be enabled
with a key - which can be purchased at an time for $100. But I am not
100% certain about that. I have sent an inquiry to find the precise
answer.

I need the ENL, so I'm very interested in the answer. It sounds like the
hardware cost for it is small, but maybe the development wasn't, and
this "key" is a way to recoup those costs from the people that need the
feature.

A thought on the various PowerFlarm versions: if you intend to loan your
unit to other people (as I intend to, e.g., to a contest pilot, or to
let other pilots see how it works), you probably want to get the
self-contained version.

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Old November 6th 10, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

It's quite common to express discounts as $X each for the first 10, $Y
each for the next 90, $Z each after that, or so on. Then it's
impossible to get a situation where a larger order will cost less than
a smaller order.

I can understand that there might perhaps be some saving in shipping
unbroken cartons of 10, for example, but that wouldn't explain why 79
units cost $103,932.40 while 81 units cost $104,141.7 i.e. only
$209.30 more for TWO extra units and presumably broken cartons and
more handling.

On Nov 6, 2:33*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
[...]

PowerFLARM questions Greg Arnold[_2_] Soaring 21 November 10th 10 05:05 AM
PowerFLARM Greg Arnold[_2_] Soaring 6 November 2nd 10 10:32 AM
PowerFlarm response to transponders Mark Soaring 1 November 1st 10 04:07 PM
PowerFLARM Mode S question kirk.stant Soaring 54 October 26th 10 02:51 PM
Build your own PowerFLARM! Darryl Ramm Soaring 51 August 19th 10 06:39 PM