Grand Canyon overflight proposal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 21st 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Grand Canyon overflight proposal

RomeoMike wrote:
Meaning a place within the boundaries of the Grand Canyon National Park
from which the canyon itself is visible and where you are unlikely to
encounter anyone else, and if you did encounter another person it would
be easy to move off away from him and enjoy solitude. I never said it
had to be popular in the sense of a lot of people being there. I just
said there are places in the Grand Canyon that are beautiful, quiet and
without people. Is that plain enough?

I can agree with your statement completely. As a Boy scout close on
to 20
years ago I hiked the Havasupai trail into the canyon several times.
AFAIK you
must obtain a permit from the Native Americans who live in th Supai
village in
the canyon. It's about an 11 mile hike and not exactly an easy one,
but if you are
looking for quiet, the need to obtain a permit restricts the number of
people hiking
this particular trail. Now, it has been a long time, but I honestly
don't remember
any offensive aircraft noise at all, but this may be due to
restrictions of overflight
of the Supai village (I'm not sure if these exist, just a thought) So
I guess the point
that I'm trying to make here is that there are places in the canyon to
get away from
all thre hustle bustle of the visitor's center type areas, you just
have to be serious
enough about it to do the research and planning necessary. And
fortunately (for those
looking for that peace and quiet) the average visitor to the canyon is
either too restriced
on their timetable or just too damn lazy to bother with all that
trouble.

Get yourself in the air no mattter how you get up there !
Wayne