Two Sticks

Old June 17th 12, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Default Two Sticks

I'm really kicking myself for leaving my camera in my car...

Yesterday I didn't feel like rushing to finish a glider project, so
elected to do my club mates a favor and tow. Just playing my part in
the "vast high wing conspiracy" (ask Gregg Ballou about that). It was
a beautiful soaring day. Late in the afternoon, I got word via radio
relay that Paul had landed his LS-4 at Twin Mountain airport, which is
just a few miles from Mt Washington. I've looked at this airport from
as low as 1200 agl a couple times, never landed there. Now I get to
go on someone else's nickel: perfect!

Paul had staged for takeoff on 27. Back at the runway threshold, the
scene looked post apocalyptic: the runway (paved) is deteriorating
badly, looks ancient. The wilderness comes right up to the runway
from all over. The ground is densely covered with moss, lichens
and... moose poop. Lots and lots of moose poop. Looking around from
where the glider was staged, there was no evidence of humanity other
than us two pilots, two planes and an "obviously" 500 year old runway
in the wilderness. It was a very weird sight. But what to do about
those damned 500 year old runway lights? They're high (this is snow
country) and not all that far apart! "Paul, you need a stick." A
little later "No! I've got it. Two sticks." One under each wing tip
on the skid with a little bend in the wing to keep them put. This
worked so well we could hardly believe it, but you really do need two
people to set it up. Do it after you position the tow plane with
slack out. Piece of cake. Full throttle with brakes on, release as
soon as max rpm achieved, Paul held a little brake until the line went
taught.

The better solution is a stick on (suction cup, etc) wing wheel. I
have one, but it was a hundred miles away from where I needed
it. ...and it didn't really fit the image, anyway. The sight of that
LS-4 with a couple of gnarly old branches propping up the wing tips
in the wilderness was really something.

((Obviously: don't leave sticks anywhere an airplane can/will run over
them.))

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old June 17th 12, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Jun 17, 9:33*am, Evan Ludeman wrote:
[...]

You need JJ's portable wing runner. He had a link to them in a
different thread.

Old June 18th 12, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

I have done an early morning performance measuring takeoff with the
wing tip on my assembly stand. No wind, slightly one wing low, and
off we went. Of course, the 604 has enough inertia in the wings that
it won't do anything fast in roll! Canopy fog over was another
story. Never lost site of the tips of the towplane.

And if you actually read Evan's post, he said he has the tip wheel,
but it was not where he was when he started the retrieve.

Steve
Old June 18th 12, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

....snip
((Obviously: don't leave sticks anywhere an airplane can/will run over
them.))

-Evan Ludeman / T8

So... You flew back and removed the sticks from the runway?
Old June 18th 12, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Jun 18, 9:10*am, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
...snip

((Obviously: don't leave sticks anywhere an airplane can/will run over
them.))

-Evan Ludeman / T8

So... *You flew back and removed the sticks from the runway?

One of our club pilots landed his open cirrus at a grass airport,
instead of sticks and other bits he had the tow pilot snug the rope,
both applied brakes and he had the tow pilot advance the throttle
until the prop wash was enough for him to level the wings using
aileron control, then they released brakes and rolled off to a perfect
take-off.

Brad
Old June 18th 12, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Jun 18, 12:10*pm, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
...snip

((Obviously: don't leave sticks anywhere an airplane can/will run over
them.))

-Evan Ludeman / T8

So... *You flew back and removed the sticks from the runway?

Naw. They're right at the ragged edge of the tarmac, which on that
runway isn't useful for anything other than launching a glider. Close
to trees, etc. You can argue it's bad form and I would not
disagree... but relative to the risk of taking out a landing light
with a downwind/downhill takeoff, we judged it the right thing to do.

-Evan / T8
Old June 18th 12, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PMSC Member

That's "runway light," not "landing light."

Sincerely,
Your Editor
Old June 18th 12, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Jun 18, 12:49*pm, PMSC Member wrote:
That's "runway light," not "landing light."

Sincerely,
Your Editor

See what I mean?

Old June 19th 12, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Just yanking yer chain...

I once had to chock the swiveling tailwheel of an L-13 so I could tow him in
a high crosswind. We were ferrying the Pawnee and Blanik home to Black
Forest from a long weekend in Creede, CO, and I had to land for fuel in
Salida. There was nobody to help so we towed the glider to the takeoff
point with the tug and long rope then, after several attempts where the
glider would weather vane before I could get the tow going, I hit on using a
pebble under the tail wheel to keep the glider from rotating. The takeoff
was then a snap.

Old June 19th 12, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cliff Hilty[_4_]

I carry two quarter inch four foot long dowel pins taped in the back of
my glider just for such a purpose. had to use them twice so far

CH

On Jun 18, 12:10 pm, "Dan Marotta" wrote:

((Obviously: don't leave sticks anywhere an airplane can/will run

over
them.))

-Evan Ludeman / T8

So... You flew back and removed the sticks from the runway?

Naw. They're right at the ragged edge of the tarmac, which on that
runway isn't useful for anything other than launching a glider. Close
to trees, etc. You can argue it's bad form and I would not
disagree... but relative to the risk of taking out a landing light
with a downwind/downhill takeoff, we judged it the right thing to do.

-Evan / T8

CH Ventus B

"If we are all "just dust in the wind", then I want to be at the top of a Huge Dust Devil!"