Flarm in the US

Old August 9th 10, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Flarm in the US

On Aug 9, 10:55*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:

significantly more expensive than a PowerFlarm (~$US1,695 list) by
itself (for it's Flarm to Flarm capability). When you factor in costs

Darryl - Where are you getting this price? The websites I see list
1500 to 1600 EUROS. By the time you add mounting hardware, shipping,
etc you're looking at $2200 - $2500 (not including installation if you
want that done by an A&P).

-----
On a separate note: Some PDA software (like the LK8000) and "glass
cockpit" displays already have some built-in support for FLARM anti-
collision display & warnings... Has there been talk about a
powerFLARM unit that is "headless" (i.e. has no display but simply
plugs into PDA or Craggy Ultimate or NK ClearNav or LX devices)?? I
would think that omitting the display would save on cost & power
consumption, as well as allowing the unit to be mounted in more places
in the aircraft (instead of cluttering up crowded instrument panels or
impacting the pilot's forward visibility).

Anyone hear any murmurs of this?

--Noel

Old August 9th 10, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 9, 9:56*am, Mike Schumann
wrote:
On 8/9/2010 8:43 AM, Steve Freeman wrote:

Curious about the use of Flarm in the US. Was told by another pilot
that the frequency used by Flarm is not approved for that category of
use in the US. Is that true? If it is, do they make units that use a
US approved frequency?

There is virtually no FLARM in the US. *It is unlikely to take off here,
as the biggest threats for mid-airs in the US are between powered
aircraft and gliders or other aircraft.

It's a chicken and egg situation. *FLARM is only interesting if everyone
equips. *No one is going to equip if they don't think that everyone else
will.

With ADS-B coming out, that is the way to go in the US. *If you buy an
ADS-B transceiver, not only will you see other ADS-B equipped aircraft,
but, if you are within range of an ADS-B ground station, you will also
see all Mode C/S transponder equipped aircraft that are visible to ATC.
* With 80-90% of GA aircraft in the US transponder equipped, this gives
an immediate benefit to anyone investing in ADS-B (assuming that they
have a ground station deployed in their area).

--
Mike Schumann

This is an area of fast changing technology. It is worth looking at
link provided by dave above to become more informed.
UH
Old August 10th 10, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane

I wrote a "contest corner" draft on Flarm in the US, motivated by my
experience with it at WGC.

http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/john...ers/flarm.html

It's here, and it really helps with glider to glider midairs which are
the main problem at contests.

John Cochrane

Old August 10th 10, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Aug 9, 4:29*pm, John Cochrane
wrote:
I wrote a "contest corner" draft on Flarm in the US, motivated by my
experience with it at WGC.

http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/john...ers/flarm.html

It's here, and it really helps with glider to glider midairs which are
the main problem at contests.

John Cochrane

Bravo John....................thanks for the link, and count me as on
of the "let's all get one" gang.

Brad
199AK
Old August 10th 10, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Thanks, John. I was fortunate enough to do my primary single-engine
training in a nicely equipped set of Diamond DA-20 aircraft with glass
cockpits (though it was pretty damned expensive). They were equipped
with TIS displays and it was really great to get a sense of the other
air traffic around my training area (downtown Seattle has 4 major
Class D airports within a few miles of each other, all under Class B
airspace and with big jets taking off and landing at them all, as well
as a lot of GA and seaplane traffic). As long as people don't get
complacent, I firmly believe in the ability of a similar device to
increase situational awareness and safety!

Questions For The Competition Pilots out the

Would you pay $$ to rent a powerFLARM unit for a Regional or National-
level contest?
What would you pay for 7 - 14 days of use of a powerFLARM?
Would you pay a higher contest entry fee if the contest provided FLARM
units for competitors?

--Noel

Old August 10th 10, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Aug 9, 5:03*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
[...]

Noel,

I've monitored Whidbey approach when flying up near Mt Vernon, I can't
tell you how many times I've heard the controller giving pilots heads
up for traffic and not one of the power guys ever saw each other. This
has happened many times.

I somewhat believe power pilots are complacent, believing that
technology will save them for a mid-air..................if you
recall, we almost got rammed by a twin while in the pattern at KAWO!

I don't like the idea of making FLARM available for rent. This is
something we should should equip our cockpits with and use ALL THE
TIME! I don't know what the learning curve is for Flarm, but if I ever
did fly a contest, I would want to know how Flarm works and not have
to "figure it out" in the cockpit during a contest.

Also, let's not stratify the use of Flarm for just contest pilots, the
airspace gets pretty busy just east KAWO too!

Is there a possibility of making Flarm simulator that we could
practice with on a PC? Perhaps some of the soaring flight simulators
have it, but I don't play with those.

On another note: If we are going to start tossing our ideas into the
hat...................please make sure LK8000 is compatible with
whatever Flarm unit is developed, pretty sure Paolo is all over that
anyways!

Brad

IGC FLARM DLL [email protected] Soaring 1 March 25th 08 11:27 AM
WinPilot ADV & PRO 9.0b Flarm Richard[_1_] Soaring 15 February 6th 08 09:49 PM
FLARM Robert Hart Soaring 50 March 16th 06 11:20 PM
Flarm Mal Soaring 4 October 19th 05 08:44 AM
FLARM John Galloway Soaring 9 November 27th 04 07:16 AM