Getting out of the airplane building business

Old August 18th 05, 09:19 PM

Default Getting out of the airplane building business

I regret to inform everyone that I have decided to stop further work
on my Christavia Mk 4 project.

My passion for flight is undimmed, but I've grown weary after 15 years
of labor and so much more left to do. The expense of what is left to
buy and install is also off putting.

Description follows:

Christavia Mk 4

Fuselage complete, unpainted.
Landing gear from Piper Tripacer included, with tires
All flight surfaces completed: rudder, elevator, ailerons and flaps
Trim system completed
Engine mount (welded to the nose gear) completed
Center controls stick, completed
All cables except for the flap cables, completed
Cabin roof, completed
All stringers fabricated
Wing struts fabricated, unpainted
Wings completed
Wingtips completed
Gas tanks welded (Bruce Frank welder)
Various cables and pulleys go with the sale

Engine description:
Ford 3.8L V6
PSRU Northwest Aero 2 to 1 reduction ratio
Carburator Holley 350 cfm with MacNeally leaning block
Intake manifold modified
Solid billet cam machined to spec
ARP cylinderhead studs
ARP studs holding crank bearings
New con rod bolts
Wiseco 9-1 compression ratio pistons
Ivo magnum prop
Roller rockers, 8 to 1 ratio
Northwest Aero machined aluminum flywheel
NWAero dual sensor distributer
NWAero reduced diameter crankshaft pulley
NWAero increased diameter waterpump pulley
NWAero increased diameter alternator pulley
30 amp lightweight alternator
Lightweight reduction gear starter
Custom fabricated, equal length headers designed for best power at
cruising altitude
Fluid to fluid oil cooler
Expansion tank (by Bruce Frank)
Engine is on a test stand and has been run up to 3,900 rpm. Prop will
have to be repitched to get higher rpm. The Ivo prop features single
point repitching. The test stand includes a 10 gallon quick decouple
fuel tank, cooling system, battery and winch, as well as casters to
roll it around.

Most of this type of engine produce between 180 and 200. With the
cam, pistons, headers and rocker arms, this one should be at the high
end of that spectrum, at 4,800 rpm, sea level.

Engine currently has two mufflers installed to keep it quiet while
ground running. Engine is very quiet with the mufflers, the prop is
actually louder than the engine.

Everything is located in Vermont. Interested parties may e-mail, or
call at 802-765-4015. No calls after 9 eastern standard time thanks.

Corky Scott
Old August 18th 05, 09:59 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote in message
I regret to inform everyone that I have decided to stop further work
on my Christavia Mk 4 project.

Hell Corky if you are going to sell it show the pictures. An BTW if you
Google "Christavia Mk 4" http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cscott/ your site is
the first one.

Old August 18th 05, 10:18 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Sorry to hear this, Corky. I've been following your progress for a long
time. My dream was always to build a Falco or an RV, but I've been
fortunate in being able to be realistic about the time commitment and my
available time. It'll never happen. Hope your baby finds a good home.

Old August 19th 05, 01:44 AM
George A. Graham

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 wrote:

I regret to inform everyone that I have decided to stop further work
on my Christavia Mk 4 project.

Corky, Finally came to your senses, I see. Certainly the hobby can
become overwhelming. And what use is an airplane anyway? Mostly just
for bragging rights.

Now you will have more free time to spend with your family, perhaps
get better at fishing or golfing. Most people watch television.
I don't remember, do you get television in those hills?

I came close to selling my bird last year. A fellow offered $25K
for it, even after he flew in her. It would have been smart to let
it go. I still have a list of new goodies to buy when I have too
much money. I have to look for reasons to fly, it is cheaper and
safer to fly commercial.

We would/will be different people without our projects, no longer
a builder or owner. I guess that I am not brave enough to find out
who I'll become, afraid that I will be less than I am. Building
my airplane has been one of my greatest accomplishments, after raising
my children. Were I as smart as you, I'd get out while I am healthy
and young enough to do something else.

Anyway, perhaps you will take a brake from building, attempt to sell
it , then keep plugging at a slower pace for another decade or so.
Then you'll have to find a new hobby. Something really interesting and
challenging. Any ideas?

George Graham
RX-7 Powered Graham-EZ, N4449E
Homepage http://bfn.org/~ca266

Old August 19th 05, 02:13 AM

Anyway, perhaps you will take a brake from building, attempt to sell
it , then keep plugging at a slower pace for another decade or so.
Then you'll have to find a new hobby. Something really interesting and
challenging. Any ideas?

And maybe Corky will kick himself for selling the thing. Maybe
he could take a break of at least six months, then hang a Lycoming on
it, get the fabric on it and go fly. The V6 can wait 'til later or
could be sold. I've sold stuff (airplanes, boats, cars and machine
tools) that I later wish I had found some way of keeping.
Of course, I don't know the full story here, and maybe he's
been wishing for a long time that he was clear of it or perhaps there
are other pressures beyond his control. I do know that these things can
consume a good part of a man's life, and often it's just not worth it.
I remember one airplane at Arlington years ago; the placard on it that
gave the model, builder's name and performance data had, on the
cost-to-build line, some dollar figure and "my family" beside it. Wife
took the kids and left because he gave them too little time.
Your stuff can own you.

Dan

Old August 19th 05, 12:51 PM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:59:51 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote:

Hell Corky if you are going to sell it show the pictures. An BTW if you
Google "Christavia Mk 4" http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cscott/ your site is
the first one.

This group doesn't allow pictures. I forgot to mention it but I'll
send pictures to anyone who asks.

Corky Scott