A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Pilot certificate required?

Old November 24th 18, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_33_]
external usenet poster

Default Pilot certificate required?

I have read many FARs that describe the requirements for obtaining a pilot certificate but I have not found an FAR that states a pilot certificate is required in order to fly an aircraft - without passengers and not for compensation or hire. 14 CFR 61.3 details the requirements for a "required pilot flight crewmember" but I do not see that it states a person may not fly an aircraft unless that person has a pilot certificate.

What am I missing?
Old November 24th 18, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_33_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 8:03:43 AM UTC-8, Jim wrote:
I have read many FARs that describe the requirements for obtaining a pilot certificate but I have not found an FAR that states a pilot certificate is required in order to fly an aircraft - without passengers and not for compensation or hire. 14 CFR 61.3 details the requirements for a "required pilot flight crewmember" but I do not see that it states a person may not fly an aircraft unless that person has a pilot certificate.

What am I missing?

Maybe 14 CFR 61.56 Flight Review covers this. It states that no person may act as pilot-in-command of an aircraft unless that person has fulfilled the flight review requirements. Since a person flying an aircraft alone (solo) is the pilot-in-command during that flight maybe the flight review requirement, in what seems to me to be a rather indirect fashion, defines such a flight as against the rules. I really don't know. I think it would be useful to have a clear (?) statement that a pilot certificate is required for a person to fly an aircraft.
Old November 24th 18, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 8:03:43 AM UTC-8, Jim wrote:

What am I missing?

I once heard a story about a guy getting ramp checked as he got out of his aircraft. The aircraft had the proper docs, but they asked for his license he said, "don't have one". And that was it, not licensed not subjected to the licensing requirements. I never paid attention to the story as I am properly trained and licensed
Old November 24th 18, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

https://www.oig.dot.gov/search?searc...+certifica te

Good luck with that.

PA
Old November 24th 18, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sierra Whiskey
external usenet poster

14 CFR 61.3 (copied 24NOV2018)

61.3 Requirement for certificates, ratings, and authorizations.

(a)Required pilot certificate for operating a civil aircraft of the United States. No person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of a civil aircraft of the United States, unless that person:

(1) Has in the person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that pilot certificate or authorization -

(i) A pilot certificate issued under this part and in accordance with § 61.19;
Old November 24th 18, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sierra Whiskey
external usenet poster

14 CFR (24NOV2018)

§ 91.3 Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.
(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

§ 1.1 General Definitions
Pilot in command means the person who:

(1) Has final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight;

(2) Has been designated as pilot in command before or during the flight; and

(3) Holds the appropriate category, class, and type rating, if appropriate, for the conduct of the flight.

§ 61.3 Requirement for certificates, ratings, and authorizations.

(a)Required pilot certificate for operating a civil aircraft of the United States. No person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of a civil aircraft of the United States, unless that person:

(1) Has in the person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that pilot certificate or authorization -

Old November 24th 18, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_33_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 8:28:57 AM UTC-8, Paul Agnew wrote:
https://www.oig.dot.gov/search?searc...+certifica te

Good luck with that.

PA

Thank you Paul. Sure looks like the federal court is unhappy with someone flying an aircraft without having a pilot certificate - assuming these aircraft belonged to the person and were not taken without permission. But what about the FAA?
Old November 24th 18, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_33_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 9:40:44 AM UTC-8, Sierra Whiskey wrote:
14 CFR (24NOV2018)

§ 91.3 Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.
(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

§ 1.1 General Definitions
Pilot in command means the person who:

(1) Has final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight;

(2) Has been designated as pilot in command before or during the flight; and

(3) Holds the appropriate category, class, and type rating, if appropriate, for the conduct of the flight.

§ 61.3 Requirement for certificates, ratings, and authorizations.

Thank you Sierra Whiskey. This is all "angels on the head of a pin" stuff I suppose, but I do find it interesting. I think what has confused me is the "required pilot flight crewmember" phrase. Would this apply to a person who flies their own aircraft? Would the FAA consider that person a "required pilot flight crewmember"? I have no idea. Fortunately I have a certificate and am rated for the kind of aircraft I fly.
Just curious.
Old November 24th 18, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sierra Whiskey
external usenet poster

If it takes one crew member to fly, then that crew member is required. Otherwise it will be an "optionally piloted" aircraft or a "remotely operated" aircraft.
Old November 24th 18, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 1:33:37 PM UTC-7, Sierra Whiskey wrote:
If it takes one crew member to fly, then that crew member is required. Otherwise it will be an "optionally piloted" aircraft or a "remotely operated" aircraft.

Thanks. I will read the appropriate regulation to my Pegasus and warn it against wandering around without me.