FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

Old July 2nd 20, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Default FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

In the video he asked "Why not?"
I guess he's got his answer.
Old July 3rd 20, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Smith

On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 9:46:20 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
I searched and did not find that this topic was already posted on RAS.

Here's the video that documents the infraction https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ure=emb_lo go

Here's Bruno's recent comment:

2 weeks ago
Update 10 months later: I uploaded this video and 4 days later had over 200k views. The video got reported and the FAA had serious concerns with this performance/flight. Lesson learned: Don't fly any kind of performance for any group or crowd (even if asked by the airshow management and cleared through the airboss) if you are NOT an approved airshow performer (have something called a SAC card)!!! The FAA will surely come after you with violations. The end result for me: $$ thousands spent on legal fees and I will soon be taking a 7 month break from flying. I was told I was very luck to not lose my license over this. Yikes! Why am I sharing all this? I only had good intentions of showing what a glider is capable of doing, but I am not a trained airshow performer and I didn't know the rules for airshow performances. If in doubt - don't do it! I hope this will help other pilots to not have to go through what I have over the last 10 months. Cheers and stay safe! Bruno - B4

Bruno, that is a bummer, Sorry to hear about this. Always enjoy your videos. Hope to see you back in the air ASAP. Rich Smith ZD
Old July 3rd 20, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Dear Buno, I have followed this thread. I am sorry for your timeout. I really enjoy your videos and recommend your work to both pilots and non-pilots. Might I interest you in the benefits of two place flying? A guy like you could really use an ASH-30mi or similar. My most fun flights have been in a nimbus 3D or nimbus 4D, and you could probably find a partner that hasn’t been posting his sins on YouTube for years. All the best, can hardly wait for new soaring videos from you
Old July 5th 20, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 6:05:27 PM UTC-7, Roy B. wrote:

So motoring down a ridge is infraction if hikers are there ?????

That is correct. read FAR 91.119 (c):

"Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Like I said, everyone who has ever been down a ridge with a "structure" or a "person" on it has violated this section. Most don't get caught . . . Some do.

ROY

I believe that for Gliders, down a ridge with structure or people is legal if it is your only legitimate source of lift, because according to FAR 91.3 B: In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency. But per part C, you may have to defend it.

Dated info now, but 30ish years ago at Torrey Pines a friend did a wingover directly in front of the windows of the Cal Fisheries building (which is built on the edge of the cliff providing lift). I can't imagine a better seat for an airshow, and yes, it generated a visit from the FAA. The pilot stated that the wingover was necessary to keep the glider within the narrow band of lift offered by the steep ridge and that it was the only way to maintain enough altitude to affect a safe landing. No enforcement action followed.

And as others have said, Bruno, thanks for all the great videos, and for bringing this to everyone's attention. Glad your back up in the air!
-Greg
Old July 5th 20, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dee[_2_]

Bruno, looks like you just started the 7-month hiatus from single seat flying on the 4th?. So, between July and next February if you're in Texas I'm sure we can find a ship you can use to help train some budding XC pilots.
Dee

Old July 6th 20, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 9:30:07 PM UTC+1, Jonathon May wrote:
My sympathy is with is with Bruno but!!!
In England 3 or so years back an occasional display pilot got it wrong
at an air show and put his vintage jet onto the highwayman ,many
dead but not him.The aftermath is still going on.

It's not just the licence the whole flight has to be thought out ,written
out and agreed with every one.
If that was done the organises would have had to ask for all the
paperwork to show their "duty of care",it's not just Bruno's fault.

At a UK comp you need your comp licence ,glider inspection certs
,insurance and medical cert to compete.Because the organisers can't
afford any jack the lad thats done a bit turning up and putting
everyone else's life at risk.
And they do "forget their medical has lapsed or they forgot to pay
the insurance" .Thats why we check

At 17:11 27 June 2020, Scott Williams wrote:

On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 12:25:20 AM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 9:46:49 PM UTC-7, Charles Longley

wrote:
Wow bummer! Bruno is a super nice guy. I message him

occasionally on
FB=
for advice.
=20
Air shows are highly regulated events. I know - I have been

involved in
s=
everal as a volunteer. The FAA oversees each of these events, as is

their
d=
uty as codified by law. All performers are expected to know the
regulations=
, as in "ignorance of the law is no excuse." Here is an excerpt of

these
re=
gulations

(https://fsims.faa.gov/WDocs/8900.1/V...%20Admin/Chapt
er%20=
06/03_006_001.htm):
=20
1) Aerobatic Maneuvering. Requires a Statement of Aerobatic

Competency=
(SAC) with an aerobatic maneuvering endorsement for civilian

pilots (see
s=
ubparagraph 3-146B).
a) In a solo flight, aerobatic maneuvering is when the pitch

attitude
=
of the aircraft is greater than 60 degrees above or below the

horizon
and/o=
r the angle of bank is greater than 75 degrees in reference to the

horizon.
b) In a formation flight, aerobatic maneuvering is when the

pitch
atti=
tude of an aircraft is greater than 60 degrees above or below the

horizon
a=
nd/or the bank angle is greater than 75 degrees to the horizon.
2) Dynamic Maneuvering. Requires a SAC with a dynamic

maneuvering
endo=
rsement for civilian pilots (see subparagraph 3-146B).
a) In a solo flight, dynamic maneuvering includes abrupt

maneuvering,
=
crossing maneuvers, and opposing maneuvers. The pitch and bank

limitations
=
are when the pitch attitude of the aircraft is less than or equal to 60
deg=
rees above or below the horizon and/or the bank angle is less than

or
equal=
to 90 degrees in reference to the horizon.
b) In a formation flight, dynamic maneuvering includes

formation
separ=
ation, formation configuration/position changes, rejoins, crossing
maneuver=
s, and opposing maneuvers. The pitch and bank limitations are

when the
pitc=
h attitude of the aircraft is less than or equal to 60 degrees above

or
bel=
ow the horizon and/or the bank angle is less than or equal to 75

degrees
in=
reference to the horizon.
=20
All of this has NOTHING to do with Boeing and aircraft

certification.
=20
Tom

turd in the punch bowl

n. A person who spoils a pleasant social situation.

This metaphor is powered by a particularly vivid contrast: the

inviting
sen=
sory appeal of a festive beverage juxtaposed with the revolting

suggestion
=
of feculent contagion. Therefore, labeling someone a turd in the

punch
bowl=
is most appropriate when the individual's deleterious influence

goes
beyon=
d mere faux pas or nuisance behaviors, and rises to the level of
deliberate=
offense for its own sake. Consider that the literal act of depositing

or
e=
xcreting fecal matter into a communal food-service container would

be
sabot=
age.

The punch bowl and the feces connote certain additional nuances.

The
former=
is a symbol of public community, as such dispensers are frequently
encount=
ered at parties where they become a focal point for interaction.

Freud
famo=
usly identified feces with aggression and the possessive instinct.

Thus a
t=
urd in the punch bowl suggests rage toward, and / or the urge to

conquer,
a=
community or society as a whole. Defecating into a punch bowl is a

very
pu=
blic act, in contrast with poisoning the well or laying an upper

decker,
wh=
ich are generally surreptitious. In particular then, to be a turd in the
pu=
nch bowl is to be a willful and attention-seeking obstructor to the
success=
of a social community.

There is so much still to come to light, such as an altimeter being fitted that was bought on Ebay
It certainly is not over
It is the regulations that do keep us all safe
Old July 6th 20, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
[...]

Care to elaborate? If it is illegal to install an altimeter purchased from ebay, I'm rightly or wrongly assuming that is what you are suggesting, please point to the regulation that you are referring to. After all, as you say, it is the regulations that do keep us all safe.
Old July 6th 20, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]

The Glider Club I belong to is operating a 1956 Cessna 182 we bought off E-Bay.
We hit a buy it now, best deal ever. Saved our club from dissolving and we're very happy with it. 182s make great towplanes!!
Scott
Old July 8th 20, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

wrote:
[...]

It is the same as buying a used altimeter from a friend. If your aircraft is experimental, you can put anything in it. If it is certified, the ALT better be TSO'd.

Tom
Old July 8th 20, 07:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Howell

It is the same as buying a used altimeter from a friend. If your aircraft
i=
s experimental, you can put anything in it. If it is certified, the ALT
bet=
ter be TSO'd.

Tom

..and in Europe we don't have any such thing as an experimental category.