Bullying desguised (badly) as precaution

Old October 24th 05, 05:33 PM
AJ

Default Bullying desguised (badly) as precaution

I took my daughter to Linden Airport (that's in New Jersey). We stood
with a small crowd at the fence on the shopping mall side as planes
took off and landed. (This is where I got my interest in flying many
years ago.)

Presently a mall security truck drove up and the guard told us to
disperse because we were breaking the law. When one woman asked what
law, he seemed at a loss for a moment, then muttered "national
security." He then said he was calling the police. He drove away,
glaring at us.

The police never came, but the guard came back, more belligerent than
before. Now he started shouting at the crowd and reaching for his
baton. I told him, "You hit me, and my lawyer will eat you for
breakfast." The rest of the crowd stood nearby, watching as he stared
hard at me. The "guard" put the baton away and backed up to his truck.
He said "I'm calling the police" again and drove away.

I wonder how many kids who could have grown up into pilots have been
chased away by this slug and others like him.

AJ

Old October 24th 05, 05:45 PM
Skylune

Threats of being beaten by a mall security guard with a baton have
undoubtably scared thousands and thousands of would-be pilots off.

This urgent issue should be addressed promptly by the AOPA.

Old October 24th 05, 05:46 PM
Ben Hallert

It was Mall security, not airport security? Did you complain to the
Mall management?

Ben Hallert
PP-ASEL

Old October 24th 05, 05:52 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"AJ" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Did you advise mall management that there was an idiot posing as mall
security?

Old October 24th 05, 05:58 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article . com,
"AJ" wrote:
I wonder how many kids who could have grown up into pilots have been
chased away by this slug and others like him.

Shopping mall security seems to have a superiority complex, though if I
had to deal with some of the roving "packs" of kids I see in and around
some of these malls, I'd probably be bent out of shape all the time
also... mostly at the parents.

I suspect that most malls are privately owned, so if you are on mall
property, you can be asked to leave or risk trespass.

My wife and I were once harassed by two Chicago Police officers when we
approached the Meigs Field terminal several years ago... this was in the
late 1990s, after the police had "confiscated" the second floor of the
terminal to use as office space. We were asked about our business at
the airport, to which we responded that we were pilots who had never
been to Meigs and wanted to look inside the terminal. At that point, we
were promptly told to leave the property because the airport "isn't open
to the public." We came back later, when we encountered no police and
were able to enter the terminal and observation deck. We all know how
that book eventually ended.

JKG
Old October 24th 05, 06:25 PM
Jay Honeck

My wife and I were once harassed by two Chicago Police officers when we
approached the Meigs Field terminal several years ago... this was in the
late 1990s, after the police had "confiscated" the second floor of the
terminal to use as office space. We were asked about our business at
the airport, to which we responded that we were pilots who had never
been to Meigs and wanted to look inside the terminal. At that point, we
were promptly told to leave the property because the airport "isn't open
to the public." We came back later, when we encountered no police and
were able to enter the terminal and observation deck. We all know how
that book eventually ended.

When Mary and I landed at Meigs, shortly after the airspace re-opened
in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, we were appalled at the way we were
treated.

My then-8 year old daughter was "wanded" by a "security officer" (who,
at well over 300 pounds, certainly could not have provided much
security). We were not permitted to walk off the peninsula to get into
downtown -- we were REQUIRED to take a cab. We were treated
contemptuously by people who were being paid to guard US.

Our cab driver, a middle-eastern-looking guy, didn't understand the
added security road blocks, and blithely drove right past a bunch of
Chicago cops waving their hands around wildly. I thought we were going
to be shot, right there.

Chicago was paying probably 15 of these Keystone Cops to "secure"
Meigs. What a bunch of morons. (Perhaps one of them has found a new
job, "guarding" your mall?)

If any mall "security" officer treated me the way you described, I'd
march his sorry cop-wannabee ass into the mall office. Mall management
needs to know what's going on with this doofus.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 24th 05, 06:26 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article
outaviation.com,
"Skylune" wrote:

At least you take some responsibility for tresspassing and the result:
ultimate closure of the airport.

Has the line, "We are pilots" worked in other situations, like when you
are pulled over in your car?

You know, I was just thinking about how appropriate your online moniker
is while I was reading some of your other moronic postings... or should
I say, trolls.

JKG
Old October 24th 05, 07:00 PM
Dave Stadt

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
In article . com,
"AJ" wrote:
[...]

In Chicago a cop being sent to airport duty is worse than being fired. It's
where they send all the screw-ups. It's cheaper and easier than fighting
the union to get them fired.

Old October 24th 05, 07:04 PM
Skylune

Why thank you, Jonathan. I chose the moniker quite carefully. After
rejecting several, I chose Skylune as my screen name.

(Its actually a takeoff on my longtime Yahoo screen name, Skilune -- you
can visit me on Yahoo chess where I like to practice.)

This forum is a great source of information and, yes!, entertainment for
me in my quest to SAVE THE WORLD from GA.

Old October 24th 05, 07:19 PM
Jay Honeck

This forum is a great source of information and, yes!, entertainment for
me in my quest to SAVE THE WORLD from GA.

Thus proving that there really *is* one born every minute.

Wouldn't it be nice if all the nut jobs restricted themselves to saving
the world for snail darters, red tailed owls, and hump-back whales?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA