Tricycle Midget Thought

Old March 23rd 04, 11:02 PM
Dick

Default Tricycle Midget Thought

Still interested in converting from Midget Mustang taildragger to
tricycle geared even though most previous comments were against it. My
belief is
that weight and balance considerations along with location of wheels
is manageable.

Nosegear I'm currently considering a Diehl rod-type connected to
firewall and braced to the engine mount; KIS spring/tube gear mounted on
firewall. So far I've only seen these on fiberglass planes unlike
the aluminum skinned Midget.

I'm curious about how the nose gear would fasten to a metal plane
firewall such as the M2.

Anyone's help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dick

Old March 24th 04, 12:07 AM
John Oliveira

Take a look at RV style nose gear welded to engine mount. I believe they
will even sell to others. I have seen them used quite effectivly on Whitman
Tailwind and others.

John Oliveira
RV9a under construction - fuselage
om...

Old March 24th 04, 04:55 AM
Ryan Young

"Dick" wrote in message . com...

I'm curious about how the nose gear would fasten to a metal plane
firewall such as the M2.

If you're truly serious, the best thing you could do for yourself
would be to invest in "Landing Gear Design For Light Aircraft, Volume
1" (there never was, nor likely will be a Volume II) by Ladislao
Pazmany, available at http://www.pazmany.com/ Pages and pages of nose
gear drawings.
Old March 26th 04, 08:33 PM
Dick

Ryan,
I ordered the $57 book and hope it addresses my question of how a nose gear
is attached to a metal firewall.
Thanks, Dick
"Ryan Young" wrote in message
om...

. com...

Old March 26th 04, 11:12 PM
Richard Lamb

Dick wrote:

Ryan,
I ordered the $57 book and hope it addresses my question of how a nose gear
is attached to a metal firewall.
Thanks, Dick

Well, for starters, a nose gear is usually NOT connected to the
firewall.

It needs a lot more support than a piece of .017 stainless can offer.

Most likely, you'll weld up a nose gear mount structure that ties
into the engine mount.

Jim Clement used this approach to put an RV-6A nosegear on his Tailwind.
(That's turned out to be a very popular mod, too)

The Mustang, being a sheel metal airplane, has reinforcenemts behind
the firewall to handle the engine mount loads.

I'd suggest a little stress analysis to see how that area will stand up
to ground loads imposed by nose gear.

Best of luck,

Richard