BRS

Old September 30th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

Default BRS

"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote in message
m...
Yep. A fellow here had a total engine failure in his Cirrus (cam gear failed)
at 6000 ft over South Florida, with his family aboard. He did not pop the
chute but made a successful deadstick landing on an airport. Skill trumps BRS
every time!

Which completely supports my original position that the $5000 would be better
spent on training.

I think that BRS makes most sense at the "margins" of GA, and probably makes
less sense for the rest of us. As Bertie already mentioned, one "margin" might
be fragile ultralights. In my opinion, a single-engine airplane that is likely
to be used for serious travel in night IFR and/or over vast unlandable terrain
probably represents another logical "margin". The Cirrus seems to fit neatly
into the second category. 5 AMU's should be small change to anyone who needs
the capabilities of, and can afford to fly, a new Cirrus.

--
Vaughn

.................................................. .......
Nothing personal, but if you are posting through Google Groups I may not receive
your message. Google refuses to control the flood of spam messages originating
in their system, so on any given day I may or may not have Google blocked. Try
a real NNTP server & news reader program and you will never go back. All you
need is access to an NNTP server (AKA "news server") and a news reader program.
You probably already have a news reader program in your computer (Hint: Outlook
Express). Assuming that your Usenet needs are modest, use
http://news.aioe.org/ for free and/or http://www.teranews.com/ for a one-time
$3.95 setup fee. Newsguy, http://www.newsguy.com/ offers a variety of
reasonably priced services. If you wish to experiment with real Usenet access,
they will give you a free 2-day trial account.
.................................................. ........

Will poofread for food.

Old September 30th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Vaughn Simon wrote:
[...]

That 5 AMU figure is for a Zenith 601XL Ex-HB.

How does 18 AMUs for a 172 and 20 AMUs for a 182 strike you. That is not
installed.
Old September 30th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote in message
m...
That 5 AMU figure is for a Zenith 601XL Ex-HB.

How does 18 AMUs for a 172 and 20 AMUs for a 182 strike you. That is not
installed.

OK, I though 5 sounded a bit small, but am too lazy to check. So a Cirrus
BRS must be worth vaguely 20 to 25 AMU. As a % of the total package cost, it
still fits.

Vaughn

Old September 30th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote

Yep. A fellow here had a total engine failure in his Cirrus (cam gear
failed) at 6000 ft over South Florida, with his family aboard.

He did not pop the chute but made a successful deadstick landing on an
airport. Skill trumps BRS every time!

You would be foolish to not land deadstick, if there was a choice. BRS is
(or should be) for when all other options come up blank.

Over much of NC's mountains, there is little choice for a landing site, much
of the time. That's when it could save your life.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 1st 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote

Yep. A fellow here had a total engine failure in his Cirrus (cam gear
failed) at 6000 ft over South Florida, with his family aboard.

He did not pop the chute but made a successful deadstick landing on
an airport. Skill trumps BRS every time!

You would be foolish to not land deadstick, if there was a choice.
BRS is
(or should be) for when all other options come up blank.

Over much of NC's mountains, there is little choice for a landing
site, much of the time. That's when it could save your life.

As I have said in the past, mostly whben you incorporate a better idiot
proof device, you build a better class of idiot.

Bertie