ventus c main wheel mudguard attachment

Old January 15th 20, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martynas Bykovas

Default ventus c main wheel mudguard attachment

The reason i am installing fender is to minimise amount of debris.
Thought mudguard is appropriate word, sorry, i am not native english speaker.
Old January 15th 20, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 10:49:37 -0800, Martynas Bykovas wrote:

The reason i am installing fender is to minimise amount of debris.
Thought mudguard is appropriate word, sorry, i am not native english
speaker.

'fender; has a lot of meanings including a rope mat put between a boat
and a dock to avoid damage to the boat, the skirt-like thing on the front
of a railway locomotive and, mainly by Americans, the thin shaped sheet
metal or plastic part used to prevent a wheel from spraying water, mud or
gravel onto the rest of the vehicle. The rest of the english speaking
world calls the last item a mudguard, so call it whatever suits you best.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old January 15th 20, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

When I was growing up we called that thing a "cow catcher".

No worries about not being a native English speaker.Â* We understood.

On 1/15/2020 1:43 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
the skirt-like thing on the front
of a railway locomotive

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 16th 20, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 15:59:17 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:

When I was growing up we called that thing a "cow catcher".

So did we in NZ.

The use of 'fender' for a cow-catcher as something I found in a
dictionary. I also knew of 'fender' as a nautical term for both the rope
mat thing used between two ships of ship and wharf and for horizontal
chunks of wood mounted on piers and wharfs.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old January 16th 20, 07:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Behm

Most vessel fenders are inflated plastic balls or cylinders with a line attached.
Rope mats are rarely used any more, even on tug boats.
Tugs generally have large used aircraft tires as fenders, or sometimes closely folded flaps of sheet rubber, attached around the bow, from one side to the other, like a giant piece of terrible tasting ribbon candy.
Regards,
Chris
Navy test range auxiliary vessel "Swiss Ladder-120

Old January 16th 20, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 10:37:09 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:

Old tires (tyres) work as boat fenders, too. ;-)

Yep, been there, done that.

Using aircraft tyres is a new one for me, though.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org