CAI 302 security failed message

Old September 14th 04, 02:07 AM
Joseph L. Hyde

Default CAI 302 security failed message

Can anyone tell me why downloading flights from a 302 to my ipaq, (not
cf card but into memory) I sometimes get a security failed message when
using the CAI Utility??? I went back and tried downloading the same files
directly into my laptop with a serial cable and the same message. This has
only happened a few times, but happened to be on badge flights. (bummer)
I am afraid I do not know enough about how this works.

Joe Hyde

Old September 14th 04, 02:47 AM
Eric Greenwell

Joseph L. Hyde wrote:
Can anyone tell me why downloading flights from a 302 to my ipaq, (not
cf card but into memory) I sometimes get a security failed message when
using the CAI Utility??? I went back and tried downloading the same files
directly into my laptop with a serial cable and the same message. This has
only happened a few times, but happened to be on badge flights. (bummer)
I am afraid I do not know enough about how this works.

I had a problem recently that would give the "can't get FAT" error
message on my Ipaq. The list of flight files wasn't even produced.
Oddly, I could download files with my 1530. After a couple of dead end
ideas, Gary Kammerer at Cambridge had me clear the flight file memory
from the 302. This fixed the problem, and no error messages or other
problems since then. I suggest you report it to Cambridge, so they know
this is an issue. Gary said this seemed to be an increasing problem as
more people switch over to Ipaqs, and he suspects it's related to the
flight file memory being full and perhaps a problem in the utility.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old September 14th 04, 02:50 AM
Roy Bourgeois

Joe:

security seal check. If you go to that screen and it indicates "Security
Bad" the unit has to go back for a repair. Mine did it when new.

Roy B.

Old September 14th 04, 02:54 AM
Paul Remde

Hi,

If the file is indicated as not secure when downloading with the PC utility
the 302 is most likely not sealed. The status of the seal is displayed on
one of the 302 LCD screens. I suggest you check that.

If it is not sealed you will need to send it back to Cambridge to be
re-sealed.

Paul Remde

. ..

Old September 14th 04, 03:18 AM
Mark Zivley

Good point - here is a tad more detail.

Turn on the 302 and push the button to change the "screen" on the 302
display. 1 is mccready setting,etc. I think you need to go to screen
10, it's near the end. When you get to the right screen, twist the knob
and along w/ showing you things like raw airspeed G sensor reading when
you turn the knob far enough it will say either good or bad seal. You
can get a "bad seal" if the case has been opened or perhaps if there is
some internal electronic fault.

Old September 14th 04, 05:31 AM
Eric Greenwell

Eric Greenwell wrote:

Joseph L. Hyde wrote:

[...]

I should have mentioned that before the FAT error message began
appearing, I did have a few "security failure" messages over the
previous weeks. Downloading the file once or twice more would be
successful. I didn't check any of the files that the utility claimed
were bad. Perhaps this "security fail" is the precursor to the FAT problem.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old September 14th 04, 10:59 AM
Ian Strachan

In article 5bs1d.43915$D%.38664@attbi_s51, Paul Remde
writes
Hi,

If the file is indicated as not secure when downloading with the PC utility
the 302 is most likely not sealed. The status of the seal is displayed on
one of the 302 LCD screens. I suggest you check that.

If it is not sealed you will need to send it back to Cambridge to be
re-sealed.

Certain Cambridge agents can also carry out the re-sealing. These are
not the normal sales agents, but those specially authorised by Cambridge
to carry out modifications and other internal work on their recorders.
Work that does not need to open up the sealed box, such as pressure
altitude calibrations, is different and is carried out by any
calibration organisation that is approved by the gliding NAC (SSA for
USA, BGA for the UK).

In general, the servicing agent authorised to work "inside" will check
that nothing has been altered inside the box, run a check on the
recorder unit, check internal connections etc for integrity, upgrade any
firmware (if the customer wants this, always a good thing to do) and
then the box is ready to re-seal. The agent contacts Cambridge and gets
a special re-sealing code that will only work with that particular
recorder. This is so that the code cannot be used again for a whole
series of recorders.

Other manufacturers have similar arrangements for secure re-sealing.

I do not know what the situation is in North America, any work inside
the sealed box (including re-sealing) may all have to be done at
Cambridge itself at Horn Lake, MI.

However, in the UK, RD Aviation (Oxford) and also Bicester Aviation
Services (Bicester) are allowed to carry out internal work on Cambridge
recorders, to avoid transatlantic travel for the recorder box. Similar
arrangements exist for some other countries.

I hope that puts the situation on re-sealing and servicing in
perspective.

--
Ian Strachan
Chairman IGC GFA Committee

Old September 14th 04, 02:22 PM
Andy Durbin

Mark Zivley wrote in message om...
Good point - here is a tad more detail.

Turn on the 302 and push the button to change the "screen" on the 302
display. 1 is mccready setting,etc. I think you need to go to screen
10, it's near the end. When you get to the right screen, twist the knob
and along w/ showing you things like raw airspeed G sensor reading when
you turn the knob far enough it will say either good or bad seal. You
can get a "bad seal" if the case has been opened or perhaps if there is
some internal electronic fault.

This isn't a valid check. The 302 screen may indicate "good seal" but
the log security check can show fail. I had this problem with my 302.
It requires the 302 to be returned for resealing. Note that this
particlar problem causes log security fail for every download. If you
are seeing a random security failure it could be a different problem.

Andy
Old September 14th 04, 09:40 PM
Sven Olivier

As a first step i would suggest trying to download again. I start the
download immediately after landing and it sometimes happen that when i get
to the hanger that the download is no good (possibly because the download
gets interrupted with the towing of the glider - may be the connection is
not perfect) i then merely do the download again

Sven Olivier
O2

Old September 17th 04, 06:47 AM
Joseph L. Hyde

Thanks for the input. The problem is random. Multiple attempts offer no
solution on the files that show failed. I live about 10 minutes from the
Cambridge factory, so I guess I should get it recalibrated and firmware
update this off season.

Take Care and Fly Safe,

Joe Hyde