High Altitude operations (Turbo charge???)

Old July 4th 03, 11:32 AM
Andre

Default High Altitude operations (Turbo charge???)

I operate off an airfield with a ground elevation of 5327 feet ASL.
Obviously my engine (VW 1835cc with Zenith Carb) feels the altitude
somewhat.
I am thinking....
Would Turbo charging help?
What about an electric blower to increase manifold pressure maybe?
Or how about a NOS system?

Old July 4th 03, 02:55 PM
Richard Lamb

How about building a 2180.

Personally, I'd not fly a turbocharged VW.

Ever.

Richard

htp://www.flash.net/~lamb01

Old July 10th 03, 07:30 PM
bob zee

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message
How about building a 2180.

Personally, I'd not fly a turbocharged VW.

Ever.

Richard

this observation come from personal experience?

--
bob z.

"people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things
everyday"©

Old July 10th 03, 09:31 PM
Richard Lamb

bob zee wrote:

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message
How about building a 2180.

Personally, I'd not fly a turbocharged VW.

Ever.

Richard

this observation come from personal experience?

--
bob z.

"people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things
everyday"©

Yep. We have a lot of VW powered airplanes around here.
Heck, I've had two myself, and a new one about to hatch.

A home brew VW engine making 50 HP or so is one thing.

A home brew turbo is another breed of cat completely.

I'll happily let those with less brain power have at it.

Either they'll design a good waste gate control system,
or they will blow the engine (real bad pun).

There is what you know you know,
What you know you don't know,
What don't know you know,
and what you don't know you don't know.

That last one seems to cause a lot of problems.
Old July 11th 03, 02:05 AM
Wooduuuward

Okay, I know I'll get clobbered by BOb on this idea but here's
at it.
There was a guy in California who spent a lot of time tinkering with
propeller mechanics. Now this was done to figure out how to wring
out more energy from the wind for those electrical wind generators
who's designers seem to always copy the airplane propeller to catch the
energy from the wind.
Now I read this in Popular Science and was fascinated with his findings.
So much so that I wondered why the reverse couldn't happen.
Namely, take his redesigned wind machine propeller and use it on
an aircraft. The reason? He managed to prove his design could get
45% efficiency from the wind rather than the 12% from the airplane
propeller. Anyway, his working model impressed Popular Science Mag
enough to publish his results for wind generators.
So . . this propeller could make a 50 HP VW motor very . . . ?

*p.s. those % are from memory.

I'll happily let those with less brain power have at it.o

Old July 11th 03, 03:42 PM
Barnyard BOb --

Wooduuuward wrote:

Okay, I know I'll get clobbered by BOb on this idea but here's
at it.
There was a guy in California who spent a lot of time tinkering....

Nah.
Not on this post of yours.

You are so far into Looney Tunes and Popular Science,
I'll just sit this one out, thank you. g

Catch ya later, Woody.

Barnyard BOb

Old July 11th 03, 04:46 PM
Morgans

"Wooduuuward" wrote in message

[...]

There you go again.

1. the airfoil on a wind generating prop has the camber on the opposite
side from an airplane prop. He was lucky to get 45%

2. The usual range of efficiency on an airplane prop is not 12%. It is
closer to saying 12% in-efficient!

There are LOTS of very smart people doing the propeller thing. You, or any
other backyard carver, will not improve on it.

Suggestion. Stick around and just read for a year or so, without posting.
You will be amazed at how much you learn you didn't know.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 8th 03, 04:23 PM
RobertR237

In article , "Morgans"
jisumorgan@charterdotjunkdotnet writes:

ANOTHER leaf blower, silly! :-)
--
Jim in NC

And another to help that one and another to help that one and.......

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old July 8th 03, 11:15 PM
RobertR237

In article , "Morgans"
jisumorgan@charterdotjunkdotnet writes:

One of my favorite subjects. I'm still young enough to remember how! g

I "will" stop beating this horse. I think it is dead! g
--
Jim in NC

Not only is it dead, it has already been turned into dog food.

Old July 9th 03, 05:40 PM
RobertR237

In article , Big John
writes:

I'd suggest you get one or two of the 4 foot shop fans that sit on the
floor. When I worked in my shop, they did a pretty good job of keeping
me comfortable.

Big John
Point of the sword

I put an airconditioner into the wall of the garage a couple of years ago and
it has helped a lot. The problem with it is the garage is not insulated and it
must be run overnight to bring the temp down and hold it most of the day. In
the current situation that would not have helped since I was working in the
greenhouse doing some staining and finishing on some doors. It is empty this
time of year and is the only place I had enough room to work. I have a couple
of big fans but could not use them without causing problems with the finish.
Just have to wear long sleves, grin, and bear it.