X-Plane any good ?

Old June 14th 04, 02:05 PM
AL Mills

Just go to www.x-plane.com and download the latest version (7.41). It is
a full version, however, you can only fly in San Bernardino and after 6
minutes your stick won't work anymore.

This will definitely help you to find out if you like it :-)

Well, under the above limitations, I didn't like
it at all. I never could get it working under
Linux, what with all the extra crap you have to
have installed in the right (undocumented)
folders, and while it worked in XP, I never got
used enough to the keyboard commands before the
6 minute limit was up.

What I gained from the experience is this; FS
2004 is plenty good enough for me. I wish it
would run under Linux but what the heck. If
X-plane gave me 15 minutes and the option to fly
somewhere more familiar, I might have a better
experience. I just don't want to get in the
habit of throwing good money after bad.

Just an opinion, mind you.

AL
Old June 14th 04, 05:46 PM
Dave Pearson

* AL Mills :

[SNIP] and while it worked in XP,
I never got used enough to the keyboard commands before the 6 minute limit
was up.

In all fairness to X-Plane that does seem to be six minutes longer than
you'd get to test MSFS.

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/
Old June 14th 04, 08:35 PM
Diskhead

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 22:26:13 GMT, "Robert Morrisette"
wrote:

Alpha Simulations has a JU88

But can you use it in a combat situation - no. As I said earlier,
IL2:FB is the answer.
Old June 14th 04, 10:16 PM
Rotwang

Alpha Simulations has a JU88

But can you use it in a combat situation - no. As I said earlier,
IL2:FB is the answer.

I have IL2:FB, but no flyable JU88 ...

Old June 15th 04, 03:25 PM
Diskhead

http://www.netwings.org/dcforum/DCForumID43/1011.html

Old June 15th 04, 03:28 PM
Diskhead

wrote:

I have IL2:FB, but no flyable JU88 ...

And more specifically;
http://www.jagdgeschwader53.flugzeug...u88/Index2.htm

Old June 16th 04, 02:56 AM
Thorbjörn Schönbeck

AL Mills wrote:

Just go to www.x-plane.com and download the latest version (7.41). It is
a full version, however, you can only fly in San Bernardino and after 6
minutes your stick won't work anymore.

Well, under the above limitations, I didn't like
it at all. I never could get it working under
Linux, what with all the extra crap you have to
have installed in the right (undocumented)
folders, and while it worked in XP, I never got
used enough to the keyboard commands before the
6 minute limit was up.

Al, nevermind...

As far as I know, only the stick is disabled after 6 minutes, after then
you can continue your flight using the autopilot. Maybe this is not very
helpful to find out about the flight realism, because 6 minutes are far
too short for a takeoff and landing at different airports.

On the other hand, as mentioned elsewhere - MSFS offers you zero minutes
for testing :-) From my point of wiew, the demo is well suited to see if
and how fast X-Plane runs on a specific computer and not for extensive
testing...

Since I am using only my mac for flying, it is hard for me to compare
MSFS and X-Plane - and when it comes to scenery, FS2004 looks amazing to
me and is no competition for X-Plane. Anyway, cruising with a small
Cessna or Piper in X-Plane and heavy weather feels pretty realistic to
me and is a bunch of fun.

just my 2ct....

Cheers,

Thor

--
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. (R. Feynman)