Parhelia Pilots

Old January 16th 05, 02:20 AM
Warren

boB wrote:
Quilljar wrote:

A couple of us are suggesting that those who use the Matrox Parhelia
with either two or three screens might like to congregate on
rec.aviation.simulators to exchange information and tips. This is a
newsgroup that has been getting very quiet recently and we hope to
jerk it back into life. We thought that talking about free or very
cheap alternative flight sims might also be a good idea.

Well, I for one am very glad you pointed us to the news group. It is
causing my checkbook to flap around every time I say MATROX.

A question.

I currently have a Ti4200 128 and I cannot do without my second screen
now. Either for un-docked panels or surfing around. I have a 19" CRT
for the primary monitor and a 17" flatscreen as the second monitor.

Will adding another 17" flatscreen, so the 19" is in the middle and the
two 17" monitors are on each side work, or will I need 3 monitors of the
same size?

Yes, your setup will work.

I currently use a 17" CRT in the centre for colour corrected work with
two cheap 15" LCD screens on either side.

The main restriction is the LCD screens must be set at their correct
resolution (in my case it's 1024 x 768) and the centre one must match.
Owing to the rather odd sizes of CRT versus LCD they match up pretty well.

I am thinking of going over to the new Pentium 4s with PCI Express as
soon as the latest Parhelia comes out and will be purchasing three 17"
LCDs, the centre one being a DVI high quality one which can be colour
calibrated. If I find I can't (or don't want to) buy a suitable digital
LCD then I will buy a 19" CRT for the centre.

As I will frequently run Illustrator, Photoshop and Dreamweaver at the
same time it's incredibly useful having the three screens.

Warren
Old January 16th 05, 03:42 AM
boB

Warren wrote:

I am thinking of going over to the new Pentium 4s with PCI Express as
soon as the latest Parhelia comes out and will be purchasing three 17"
LCDs, the centre one being a DVI high quality one which can be colour
calibrated. If I find I can't (or don't want to) buy a suitable digital
LCD then I will buy a 19" CRT for the centre.

As I will frequently run Illustrator, Photoshop and Dreamweaver at the
same time it's incredibly useful having the three screens.

Warren

Thanks Warren. I can't afford to upgrade that far but buying one more
17" flat screen will be possible. Now to find a Matrox card. I have
looked before on Ebay and there seems to be several types of Matrox Parh
cards. Which do I need to look for?

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Old January 16th 05, 09:10 AM
Dallas

"Carl Frisk"
Having finally totally forgotten about Speedbyrd I could sleep at nights.

Now I'll never sleep again

I heard he got a job with the Microsoft secret police and was specifically
assigned to your case.

Dallas

Old January 16th 05, 09:41 AM
Warren

Quilljar wrote:
Rather than try to advise you, I suggest you go to the excellent Matrox Home
page and see what they advise. Personally, I don't think it will matter
much, but there is always one that is designed more for gaming than
graphics. I have the Parhelia 128MB which although about four years old
works like a dream and I have no wish or need to uopgrade. It runs three
ancient 17 inch monitors and I update the drivers about every three or four
months. There is a superb Matrox forum with free advice run from the
Canadian factory. Search Google all you can before buying and you will learn
a lot.

http://www.matrox.com/

I second that. The Matrox site is really helpful.

Warren
Old January 16th 05, 11:31 AM
Carl Frisk

"Dallas" wrote in message ink.net...

"Carl Frisk"
Having finally totally forgotten about Speedbyrd I could sleep at nights.

Now I'll never sleep again

I heard he got a job with the Microsoft secret police and was specifically
assigned to your case.

Dallas

I'll never close my eyes at night again. What's that noise I just heard? Do you hear it?

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.
Old January 16th 05, 02:02 PM
Talon

I will agree with the other posts boB. I run the Matrox Parhelia with one
17 on the left and two 19" CRT's for the Center and right and have no
problems with any of the widescreen gaming. As far as just using windows
and photoshop and such I don't notice any difference at all. I would also
suggest as Quilljar has recommended, go to the Matrox forums (which are not
available on the weekends) There are some very knowledgeable folks over
there in the user community as well as a pretty helpful staff. It is an old
card and not without it's shortcomings but for some things....ie MSFS across
three screens...it just can't be beat by even the newest technology out
right now.

Paul

Old January 16th 05, 02:51 PM
Don Parker

Carl Frisk wrote:

I'll never close my eyes at night again. What's that noise I just
heard? Do you hear it?

Just because you're parinoid, doesn't mean you're not being followed.....

Old January 16th 05, 03:01 PM
Carl Frisk

"Don Parker" wrote in message ...
Carl Frisk wrote:

I'll never close my eyes at night again. What's that noise I just
heard? Do you hear it?

Just because you're parinoid, doesn't mean you're not being followed.....

Always pays to keep your cannon loaded

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.
Old January 16th 05, 07:29 PM
Dallas

"Carl Frisk"
I'll never close my eyes at night again. What's that noise I just heard?

Do you hear it?

It's Speedbyrd with a big smoochie face coming to tuck you in and give you a
kiss goodnight!

Carefully, he likes to climb in too....

Dallas

Old January 16th 05, 07:39 PM