Colibri failures?

Old April 5th 05, 11:35 PM

Default Colibri failures?

I bought a Colibri data logger in June 2003 and have enjoyed using it
with SeeYou to go over my flights (no badge or record work for me). But
the unit failed in March 2004 with a "Seal Not Valid" message, which
was fixed by returning it to the manufacturer. The unit recently failed
in the same mode again. I suspect I just got a lemon or have bad luck,
but before repairing it again or asking for a replacement, I thought it
wise to check if anyone else has had similar experience. Many thanks.

Martin

Old April 6th 05, 12:57 AM
Kevin Christner

I've never heard of this happening before, but if you arent using it
for badges or records, there is no need to get it resealed.

Kevin

Old April 7th 05, 07:01 PM

Thanks to all who replied, both here and privately. I'll post something
once this is resolved, but thought I'd make an interim report.

1. The problem probably affects all loggers to some extent, not just
LX's Colibri. Someone wrote me privately about similar problems with a
Garmin which they believe were due to static electricity, as when a
lightning storm hit near the airport. The problem seemed to be worse
when the unit was not installed in the glider, so they solved it by
only keeping it out for minimal periods of time and praying that
lightning doesn't strike near the glider.

2. LX Support responded to me and wants to help figure this out. I had
already asked for help from the dealer through whom I bought the unit,
but also wanted to hear what people's experiences had been to help me
decide what path to take.

3. To respond to Keven's comment above, there is a reason to get it
resealed. It doesn't record anything when the seal is not valid!

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Martin

Old April 15th 05, 12:30 AM

A final update seemed in order. LX was excellent in dealing with this
proble. They replaced the unit free of charge and had it FedExed to me
while I returned the original unit to the dealer. Great customer
relations!

I suspect the problem was a fault that drained the battery in about a
year's time instead of the normal 7-10 years. They say they check the
units for battery drain, but an intermittent problem would likely pass
that test. They also told me that the failure rate on batteries is very
low, less than 1 in a 1,000 per year, which further supports the faulty
unit hypothesis. Without getting into statistical jargon like
"likelihood ratios", it's pretty clear that two failures in two years
with that kind of failure rate have to be caused by something other
than just random battery failures.

The bottom line: All the good things I've said here about the Colibri
in other threads now have one more plus, great customer relations.

Martin

Colibri Ipaq problem! [email protected] Soaring 11 March 2nd 05 04:06 PM
Colibri problem Ian Cant Soaring 1 August 19th 04 07:30 AM
Colibri to PDA connection Ian Cant Soaring 3 June 24th 04 07:20 AM
How common are multiple point failures? Michael Owning 9 April 30th 04 08:38 PM
Colibri Data Logger reviewed TOM RENT Soaring 18 April 16th 04 10:47 PM