Round Engines

Old February 12th 07, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default Round Engines

DEDICATED TO ALL THOSE *WHO FLEW BEHIND ROUND ENGINES

We gotta get rid of *those turbines, they're ruining aviation and our
hearing... *

A turbine is too simple minded, it has no *mystery. The air travels
through it in a straight line and doesn't *pick up any of the pungent
fragrance of engine oil or pilot sweat. *

Anybody can start a turbine. You just need *to move a switch from "OFF"
to "START" and then remember to move it *back to "ON" after a while. My
PC is harder to start. *

Cranking a round engine requires skill, *finesse and style. You have to
seduce it into starting. It's like *waking up a beautiful and classy
mistress. Treat her right and you're *in for a thrill. *Abuse her and
you'll regret it!!!! *

On some turbine planes, the pilots aren't *even allowed to start the
engine...
Turbines start by whining for a while, and then give a lady-like *poof
and start whining a little louder. *

Round engines give a satisfying *rattle-rattle, click-click, BANG, more
rattles, another BANG, a big *macho explosion or two, more clicks, a lot
more smoke and finally a *serious low pitched roar. We like that. It's a
GUY thing... *

When you start a round engine, your mind *is engaged and you can
concentrate on the flight ahead. Starting a *turbine is like flicking on
a ceiling fan: Useful, but hardly *exciting.

When you have started his round *engine successfully your Crew Chief
looks up at you like he'd let you *kiss his girl, too!

Turbines don't break *or catch fire often enough, which leads to aircrew
boredom, *complacency and inattention. A round engine at speed looks and
sounds *like it's going to blow any minute. This helps concentrate the
*mind!
***
Turbines *don't have enough control levers or gauges to keep a pilot's
*attention. There's nothing to fiddle with during long flights.*

Turbines smell like a *Boy Scout camp full of Coleman Lamps. Round
engines smell like *God intended machines to smell.
Old February 12th 07, 09:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Not all turbine engine starts are automatic, not just the
PT6, but other pure jets require a fair amount of skill to
not burn up the engine on starting.

The PT6 air-flow is not straight thru, but enters at the
rear and goes forward.

BTW, jets are round too.

Old February 12th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JonH

A Rolls-Royce Dart can be interesting to start on some days.

Old February 12th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Feb 12, 1:30 am, john smith wrote:

Anybody can start a turbine. You just need to move a switch from "OFF"
to "START" and then remember to move it back to "ON" after a while. My
PC is harder to start.

Shhhh... Don't let that get out, or we'll have more idiot non-pilots
stealing King Airs & Caravans instead of Skyhawks...

Starting a turbine is like flicking on a ceiling fan: Useful, but hardly exciting.

I dunno... I love the sound of a TPE331 winding up - I actually have
that as a wav file on my work computer that plays when I sign on in
the morning - gets everyone's attention. Does your ceiling fan have Ng
and ITT gauges? G

Turbines don't break or catch fire often enough, which leads to aircrew
boredom, complacency and inattention.

And this is a bad thing? (I realize this is tongue-in-cheek)
Inattention during the start cycle can mean a hot start and do all
kinds of damage to the compressor section

A round engine at speed looks and sounds like it's going to blow any minute. This helps concentrate the mind!

Yep, just ask any old FE that sat third seat on a Connie. Managing
four cantankerous Wright 3350's was a full time job. (even without
PRTs engaged)

Old February 12th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"JonH" wrote in message
. ..
A Rolls-Royce Dart can be interesting to start on some days.

My Dodge Dart was interesting to start on some days too

Old February 12th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The hard part may be that after you've started one three
times, you go deaf, so you can't hear the forth start
attempt;-)

"JonH" wrote in message
. ..
|A Rolls-Royce Dart can be interesting to start on some
days.

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| Not all turbine engine starts are automatic, not just
the
| PT6, but other pure jets require a fair amount of skill
| not burn up the engine on starting.
|
| The PT6 air-flow is not straight thru, but enters at the
| rear and goes forward.
|
| BTW, jets are round too.
|

| "john smith" wrote in message

| | DEDICATED TO ALL THOSE WHO FLEW BEHIND ROUND ENGINES
| |
| | We gotta get rid of those turbines, they're ruining
| aviation and our
| | hearing...
| |
| | A turbine is too simple minded, it has no mystery. The
air
| travels
| | through it in a straight line and doesn't pick up any
of
| the pungent
| | fragrance of engine oil or pilot sweat.
| |
| | Anybody can start a turbine. You just need to move a
| switch from "OFF"
| | to "START" and then remember to move it back to "ON"
after
| a while. My
| | PC is harder to start.
| |
| | Cranking a round engine requires skill, finesse and
style.
| You have to
| | seduce it into starting. It's like waking up a
beautiful
| and classy
| | mistress. Treat her right and you're in for a thrill.
| Abuse her and
| | you'll regret it!!!!
| |
| | On some turbine planes, the pilots aren't even allowed
| start the
| | engine...
| | Turbines start by whining for a while, and then give a
| lady-like poof
| | and start whining a little louder.
| |
| | Round engines give a satisfying rattle-rattle,
| click-click, BANG, more
| | rattles, another BANG, a big macho explosion or two,
more
| clicks, a lot
| | more smoke and finally a serious low pitched roar. We
like
| that. It's a
| | GUY thing...
| |
| | When you start a round engine, your mind is engaged
and
| you can
| | concentrate on the flight ahead. Starting a turbine is
| like flicking on
| | a ceiling fan: Useful, but hardly exciting.
| |
| | When you have started his round engine successfully
your
| Crew Chief
| | looks up at you like he'd let you kiss his girl, too!
| |
| | Turbines don't break or catch fire often enough, which
| leads to aircrew
| | boredom, complacency and inattention. A round engine
at
| speed looks and
| | sounds like it's going to blow any minute. This helps
| concentrate the
| | mind!
| |
| | Turbines don't have enough control levers or gauges to
| keep a pilot's
| | attention. There's nothing to fiddle with during long
| flights.
| |

Old February 12th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 12, 11:31 am, "Kingfish" wrote:

I dunno... I love the sound of a TPE331 winding up - I actually have
that as a wav file on my work computer that plays when I sign on in
the morning - gets everyone's attention.

I use this one for that purpose:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_sound_files.htm and click
on "Great Sounding Engine!" to start your day. Neither round nor a
turbine, but it gets the blood flowing as good as a cup of coffee.

Dan

Old February 12th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GDBholdings

"Kingfish" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 12, 1:30 am, john smith wrote:

I dunno... I love the sound of a TPE331 winding up - I actually have
that as a wav file on my work computer that plays when I sign on in
the morning - gets everyone's attention. Does your ceiling fan have Ng
and ITT gauges? G

Oh Man I would love to hear or rather have a copy of that wav. I love the
sound of a turbine spooling up in the morning! sounds
like.............POWER!!

soo......mind letting me know where you downloaded the wav
file...............pleeeease!

Old February 12th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GDBholdings

"GDBholdings" wrote in message

"Kingfish" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 12, 1:30 am, john smith wrote:

I dunno... I love the sound of a TPE331 winding up - I actually have
that as a wav file on my work computer that plays when I sign on in
the morning - gets everyone's attention. Does your ceiling fan have Ng
and ITT gauges? G

Oh Man I would love to hear or rather have a copy of that wav. I love the
sound of a turbine spooling up in the morning! sounds
like.............POWER!!

soo......mind letting me know where you downloaded the wav
file...............pleeeease!

Doh!! someone already posted a site that has that file!!! LOL thanks
anyway

Old February 12th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The Merlin is the best sounding engine of all time.

Followed by the P&W R2800

| "GDBholdings" wrote in message
|
| "Kingfish" wrote in message

ups.com...
| On Feb 12, 1:30 am, john smith wrote:
|
| I dunno... I love the sound of a TPE331 winding up - I
actually have
| that as a wav file on my work computer that plays when
I sign on in
| the morning - gets everyone's attention. Does your
ceiling fan have Ng
| and ITT gauges? G
|

| Oh Man I would love to hear or rather have a copy of
that wav. I love the
| sound of a turbine spooling up in the morning! sounds
| like.............POWER!!
|
| soo......mind letting me know where you downloaded the
wav
| file...............pleeeease!
|

| Doh!! someone already posted a site that has that file!!!
LOL thanks
| anyway

Speakin' of Round Engines... Grumpy AuContraire Aviation Photos 20 November 19th 06 02:50 AM
Round Engines Big John Piloting 80 January 27th 06 03:29 AM
Round Engines Voxpopuli Naval Aviation 16 May 31st 05 06:48 PM