Discus2 any better?

Old November 9th 03, 08:24 AM
Harry

Default Discus2 any better?

Hi,

can anyone bring forward facts supporting that a Discus2 performs
better than it's predecessor Discus a/b or CS?

Appreciate your insights!
regards
Harry
Old November 9th 03, 02:12 PM
JJ Sinclair

can anyone bring forward facts supporting that a Discus2 performs
better than it's predecessor Discus a/b or CS?

Just my impressions from the standard class nationals this year. The D2's were
going well, the only D1 in the contest, didn't seem to stay with the pack in
glide. The D2 uses a thinner airfoil and this may be the edge. Having said
that, new ships are all tuned up and perform at their best, older ships (D1)
aren't always that tidy. This one was a bit worn.
JJ Sinclair
Old November 10th 03, 02:02 AM
Deputy Dog

Harry:

I had a 1987 Discus B for about 2 years and flew it about 160hrs and
traded it for a Discus 2B one year ago and have flown the 2B about
80hrs so far. I loved the B model and only traded to upgrade and
avoid the eventual refinish.

From my experience:
Both are simple to fly and very forgiving.

The B climbs a bit better (fatter wing), especially if you are not
real accurate on your airspeed control. I'm beginning to achieve
similar rates with my 2B now, but it took a while.

Their is minimal difference in glide performance up to 70 to 75 knots.
My buddy has a CS and we see little difference unless running above
75kts. Even then it is not significant. At 85 to 90 knots (about as
fast as we get in Florida conditions), the 2B is clearly better, but
until you learn to make it climb, you loose the difference there. If
you have strong enough lift, when you add water, the 2B seems better
yet.

The 2B has a better roll rate, a taller landing gear, powerful disc
brake (option), and the cockpit is much longer if you are tall. At
6'1", with the rudder pedals all the way forward I can't reach them!
The airbrakes in the 2B are counterbalanced with a spring, so you can
put them pretty well in any position and they stay there at approach
speeds. There is no tendency of them to suck up when you unlock them
as my B did.

The 2B with factory winglets is a much prettier ship than the B and
heck, that is all that counts anyway! Most folks think mine is an 18
meter ship due to the geometry of the wing.

The only negative of the 2B that I have found is that it does not like
to be towed slow. I was towed after a 1-26 the other day, and when
the stick started tapping the aft limit, I looked at the airspeed and
saw mid-40 knots. It will fly that slow and even slower, but it is
hard to see the tow rope due to the angle of attack. I think the
angle of incident of the wing is less than the B.
At 55 kts it is fine and 60 to 65 is better (with no water)

Would I trade back? NO WAY! Is the B a good ship? ABSOLUTELY!

Hope this helps-
Deputy Dog

Harry

Old November 10th 03, 09:53 AM
Harry

(Deputy Dog) wrote in message . com...
Harry:

I had a 1987 Discus B for about 2 years and flew it about 160hrs and
traded it for a Discus 2B one year ago and have flown the 2B about
80hrs so far. I loved the B model and only traded to upgrade and
avoid the eventual refinish.

From my experience:
[...]

Hi deputy dog,

thank you for taking the time to write such thoughtful comment. This
is exactly the information I was looking for. Being a newly licensed
pilot I may put my first investment in a D1 until I achieve the
expertise to fly better than my glider does.

Appreciate your help