NOVEMBER ISSUE - Gliding International

Old October 30th 16, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default NOVEMBER ISSUE - Gliding International

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 10:49:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:
GLIDING INTERNATIONAL
ISSUE NOVEMBER 2016

The November 2016 issue will go in the mail next week and should be with subscribers by November 1.

We must be doing something right as we are experiencing a big lift in circulation, materially aided by our Digital version. The hundreds that have subscribed to the Digital issue will get their November copy in their email box on November 1. The November issue is another great 64 page all colour issue.

• It is time gliding had a good hard look at the Olympics and reintroduce our case for participation. This issue traces the history of gliding’s involvement in the Olympics as far back as 1936. It provides readers with a chance to become informed on gliding’s Olympic history. As an aside to this, comes the news from Germany that one of the country’s biggest clubs has lost 20% of their members over the last six months, a state of affairs not restricted to the Germans. Membership decline must be addressed by the IGC and with more than just the cursory lip service they have given the problem in the past. Olympic participation must be a move in the right direction.

• Aldo Cernezzi, our European correspondent flew the Spanish Nationals in the Pyrenees. Thermalling close to Vultures is really ‘something’, especially soaring in this under-rated historical soaring site in Europe. A great place for a gliding holiday.

• There has been eight fatal gliding accidents in past six weeks.. We spend considerable time documenting accidents in most countries with a view to educating the sport on some of its hazards. And we came across the hangar fire that demolished six (6) sailplanes in one go. Read the details!

• Why is the DG1001 two seat trainer the choice of a number of Airforce training organisations. We have a good look at what DG offers and tell our readers that they are good buy. (USA 19, Indonesia 6, Brazil 10, Australia 11).
These upgradable trainers must be a first on any club’s shopping list.

• Little known is the story about the gliders built in Poland with the aid of concrete in the 1960s. A fascinating story.

• Sadly, we report the death of Fred Weinholtz in Germany. Known to thousands world wide, this gliding administrator was the first to publish a book on modern soaring. His inexpensive book, “The Theory of Modern Cross Country Gliding”, was translated for and published in English by our editor. Some 30,000 copies (German and English editions) were sold. There are plans afoot to have Fred’s text updated and the seventh edition of the book out next year. Fred and John were lifetime friends. - A Gliding International project!

• Aldo Cernezzi has flown the first two seat sustainer in series production, the ASG 32Mi from Schleicher. He reports very favourably. (Readers will love our new art work).

• Electric Self Launchers are getting closer and closer. We keep an eye out on all the new battery technology, the secret to this possibility.

• We discovered in the last two months that the New York Herald actually sent a reporter to Germany in 1894 to interview Otto Lilienthal. We have published the interview in full (unedited) complete with the Herald’s sketches of what the reporter saw happening in Germany.

• NASA is putting its money where its mouth is. They are undertaking millions of dollars of research into advanced aviation. We report on six of their projects.

• All this plus 30 other stories that will educate and inform.

As we have said before - our best issue yet!

We hope you will join us.
JOHN ROAKE
EDITOR.

The quality of the online magazine is terrible. It is very difficult to read the text even on a 27" high resolution monitor. The downloadable version was easily readable. I will not renew my subscription unless the quality is top notch. Pardon me for the language but this is simply crap.
Old October 30th 16, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I just recently subscribed. The first e-magazine I received was fine. However, the second one is very difficult to read on my laptop. Further, the magazine now seems to be entirely unreadable on an iPad. I'm going to email the editor and see if they can go back to how it was. Piracy is a problem but trying to selling an unreadable magazine is going to prove to be quite a problem for their sales as well!
Old October 30th 16, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

Same issues. I got a very prompt email back from them saying they'd have a better version on Monday. Hoping they get it all ironed out.

Craig
Old October 30th 16, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley

The quality of the online magazine is terrible. It is very difficult to read the text even on a 27" high resolution monitor. The downloadable version was easily readable. I will not renew my subscription unless the quality is top notch. Pardon me for the language but this is simply crap.

+ 1

Old October 30th 16, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Branko Stojkovic

I still managed to download the pdf version, but I had to do it one page at a time, which took 10 minutes. The pdf quality was the same as before.

Branko XYU
Old October 30th 16, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 2:22:57 PM UTC, Branko Stojkovic wrote:
I still managed to download the pdf version, but I had to do it one page at a time, which took 10 minutes. The pdf quality was the same as before.

Branko XYU

It isn't obvious to me how to download it a page at a time as a pdf file and, like the others I find it unreadable. This is my second issue and I won't be renewing when the time comes unless it returns to being an easily downloadable pdf.

John Galloway
Old October 30th 16, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

I second the complaints about the online issue. Awful. I've had several email exchanges with the folks there. Cannot view it full size, full resolution. Very awkward. Please just send us PDFs.