SSA Convention DVDs from Wings & Wheels

Old July 15th 16, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

Default SSA Convention DVDs from Wings & Wheels

On Friday, July 1, 2016 at 7:28:28 AM UTC-7, Sean Franke wrote:
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 3:05:49 PM UTC-7, Sean Franke wrote:
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 3:18:12 PM UTC-7, Sean Franke wrote:
On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 12:51:27 PM UTC-7, Sean Franke wrote:
On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 4:27:59 PM UTC-7, Sean Franke wrote:
On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 12:33:46 PM UTC-7, noel.wade wrote:
All -

With DVD #2 shipping out I just wanted to make a quick post on RAS about the DVD series. I bought the first DVD with some hesitation; I wasn't sure what kind of recording quality it would be, or how well the DVD would be edited/structured... But knowing the folks at Wings & Wheels, I figured it was worth a gamble.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by DVD #1! While there are some minor audio volume problems now and then, overall the recording quality was high. I am hopeful that enough people purchase the DVDs to make it a product that W&W makes at every convention!

As a "wish list item", I woud love it if future years could include each speaker's slides/presentations - either edited into the video stream or as "DVD Extras"... But this certainly isn't necessary in order to enjoy the DVDs as they are now.

Thanks again to Wings & Wheels for seizing this opportunity and bringing something new to the community!

--Noel
[no connection to W&W, just a happy customer]

Thank you Noel. "wish list items" noted.

I just updated the web page. All 15 DVD's and their release dates are now posted. Also, preview of DVD#3 is up.

http://wingsandwheels.com/pilot-supp...ntion-dvd.html

Sean Franke

DVD#3 shipped last week and can be purchased he http://wingsandwheels.com/pilot-supp...ntion-dvd.html

How to Preserve and Extend the Life of Composite Sailplanes
Hank Nixon
Hank’s video presentation is on how an owner can extend the useful life of a composite sailplane. The discussion will include storage, periodic maintenance, as well as some techniques for improving and protecting the surface finish on older gliders in order to delay the point when refinishing is needed. In addition to flying, Hank spends a good bit of time in helping maintain the club fleet. He has restored or resurrected more than 30 aircraft over the years, mostly gliders.

Building Better Clubs
Mark Lenox
The health of soaring as a sport is largely dependent on the health of our clubs. Many of us learned to fly in a club environment as commercial operators are few and far between and it makes sense to bank together to defer the cost and enjoy the camaraderie. Even so, there are relatively few thriving clubs in the USA, and we all face growing pressure with rising costs and declining membership, Mark’s presents material and ideas developed by the Soaring club of Houston and has an open discussion on how issues were tackled.

Automatic Flaps: A Year's Experience in the Duck Hawk SV ***BONUS VIDEO***
Bill Thar
This video describes automatic flap design, operation of the system, impact on flight and implication for flap technique on existing flapped ships. Also, possibilities for retrofitting existing gliders are discussed.

DVD#4 is shipping today and can be purchased he http://wingsandwheels.com/pilot-supp...ntion-dvd.html

SeeYou: Planning for Tomorrow
Andrej Kolar and Bernd Fischer
Planning flights with SeeYou has just become much more fun! Naviter has teamed up with TopMeteo who create soaring weather forecasts for the entire US, Europe and parts of Africa. An integrated weather forecast gives the ability to plan your flights on top of the soaring weather overlay within SeeYou. Now you can plan your flight to the borders of usable weather for that day. Andrej Kolar (Naviter) and Bernd Fischer (TopMeteo) present how the partnership started and how it works in practice in this DVD.

Let's Talk About Team Flying
Peter Deane
Ever wonder how? Not really difficult to do but very easy to mess up. Hear some simple guidelines for making it work from a 2 time US Team member, and see a demonstration of how it can be successfully practiced with a minimum of preparation. Peter has won numerous Regional Championships and hold the National Standard Class 750km Out and Return speed record of 95.4 mph set in 2002. Peter represented the US in 2 Standard Class World Championships in 2010 and 2013.

DVD#5 is shipping today and can be purchased he http://wingsandwheels.com/pilot-supp...ntion-dvd.html

Soaring Product News
Paul Remde
This video has an overview of the latest new soaring instruments and other soaring products. Paul provides an unbiased opinion of the latest new soaring toys. Learn about the latest products from Butterfly, ClearNav Delorme, esa-systems, FLARM, ILEC, LX navigation, Naviter, etc. Also get a quick overview of the latest soaring books and videos.

OLC/XC Camps Are Amazing in so Many Ways
Bruno Vassel
Organized soaring events can be REALLY fun to participate in. You fly a bunch with many other gliders, strengthen your soaring skills, and meet some really cool people. However, every year just a small percentage of glider pilots participate in any soaring event. Why is that? A few pilots in Utah have been experimenting with some new formats, resulting in some really fun events. Nephi UT has held three sold-out OLC/XC camps and one regional contest over the last 3 years. We are finding that non-standard soaring camps are part of the solution for getting more pilots interested in attending an organized soaring event. Bruno speaks on what has been learned (both good and bad) from past events in Nephi and shares some exciting new plans and future ideas.

John Fisher from the FAA has a great presentation on transponders, ADS-B and upcoming requirements.

DVD#6 is shipping today and can be purchased he http://wingsandwheels.com/pilot-supp...ntion-dvd.html

Austro Engine-Engineering
Michael Schirnhofer
Michael Schirnhofer spoke about Austro Engine-Engineering Innovations-Products, Development and Future Outlook. Rex and Noelle Mayes of Williams Soaring Center are proud to be the new USA agent for Alexander Schleicher Sailplanes. They were very pleased to announce Uli Kremer of Schleicher and Michael Schirnhofer of Austro Engines attended this year’s convention. Six of Schleicher's latest model sailplanes were displayed; ASG-29 Es, ASH-31 Mi, ASH-30 Mi, ASK-21 and 2 brand new ASG-32 Mi's.

The INs and OUTs of ADS-B
John Fisher, FAA
Mr. Fisher provides and overview of the surveillance system by quickly describing the generational leap from ATCRBS, to Mode S and now to ADS-B. He discusses the benefits of ADS-B IN by explaining three “IN” applications, SURF, AIRB and ATAS. The video also outlines ADS-B rules regarding airspace, and closes by describing the ANPRM as it relates to the Glider ANPRM.

DVD#7 is shipping today. A preview can be seen he http://wingsandwheels.com/pilot-supp...ntion-dvd.html

Dissecting the Sky: Discovering Energy Lines
Pete Alexander
Pete takes you on a pictorial journey selecting from his collection of photos to discuss and illustrate finding energy lines in the sky with or without clouds while soaring in thermals, ridge, wave, and convergence when soaring from different locations in the US, New Zealand and Europe.

Variometry for glider Pilots
Richard is from ClearNav instruments. He speaks about variometer concepts, theory and the direction we are moving towards in the future. You will learn about Total Energy (TE) basics and limitations. You will find out about the difference between total energy, netto and relative total energy. Richard discusses how horizontal gusts effect sailplane handling and vario indications.
Richard Kellerman
Old August 15th 16, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 2:58:59 PM UTC-7, Sean Franke wrote:
[...]

DVD#9 is shipping today. A preview can be seen he http://wingsandwheels.com/pilot-supp...ntion-dvd.html

Building & Operating a Winch
Ulrich (Uli) Neumann
Five years of winch operation at Carolina soaring Association: What have we learned, what would we do different if we had to do it over again, what’s in the future?
More than five years ago, the members of CSA embarked on the journey of building a winch. There have been many iterations before the winch was at the state it is today. This video is a summary of the past experiences and what we would do to improve a future winch.

Preliminary Design & Development of an Airborne Thermal Location Predictor
Mike Davis; presented by John Bird
Today’s glider pilots rely on experience and knowledge of the land to successfully navigate through the air to reach thermals that provide lift. Students in the Electrical and computer Engineering departments at Colorado Technical University are working on developing a sensing unit that displays near real-time data on thermal uplifts. A smart adaptive device called the Thermal Sensing and Imaging Guide will allow pilots to increase their flight times as well as help instructor pilots provide better feedback to their students. The idea is to adapt a thermal sensor to a glider that will wirelessly communicate with a tablet and display the surrounding temperature. The sensor will gather data from the surrounding area in an undetermined field of vision and wirelessly transmit that data collected to a tablet in the cockpit. An android based app on the tablet will then overlay the temperature of the surrounding area on a topographical map for viewing by the pilot. This will allow the pilot so see near real-world data and adjust the glider’s course to the most efficient route. The Thermal Sensing and Imaging Guide will allow better training of student pilots as well as help seasoned pilots to become more efficient in their flight through thermal uplifts.

Old September 30th 16, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 3:03:46 PM UTC-7, Sean Franke wrote:
[...]

DVD#12 is shipping. A preview can be seen he http://wingsandwheels.com/pilot-supp...ntion-dvd.html

Building & Flying the Concordia: Lessons Learned
Dick Butler
The Concordia was on display on the convention floor. The idea for the Concordia was born in 2000. It took two years to design and six years to build. Its wingspan is 28 meters and it has a glider ratio of 72-1 at 80 knots. Dick Butler is a retired aeronautical engineer who has been competing in sailplanes since 1974. The Concordia was test flown in 2012 and has competed in two World Gliding Championships.

Moments Aloft: The first Women Glider Pilots
Pat Valdata
A five-hour duration flight was just a dream for any glider pilot when Geneve Schaffer, Maxine Dunlap and Anne Morrow Lindbergh first flew gliders. This video discusses these pioneers of gliding, and other women who achieved firsts in aviation, including the first woman to solo a hot air balloon and the woman who flew a powered aircraft months before the Wright Brothers.
Old November 1st 16, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 1:08:45 PM UTC-7, Sean Franke wrote:
[...]

DVD#13 is shipping. A preview can be seen he http://wingsandwheels.com/pilot-supp...ntion-dvd.html

Design Philosophy for the New Ventus (Ventus 3)
Christopher Wannemacher
Christopher is one of the four engineers of Schempp-Hirth's development team responsible for design of the Arcus and the new Ventus. This video covers history of Schempp-Hirth’s wing development starting with the original Discus. Progressive airfoil and wing planform developments were made with the Ventus 2, Duo Discus and Arcus leading to the new Ventus, also known as the Ventus 3. Best L/D was not the highest priority for establishing fast cross country speed. This video explains why and much more.

13.5 Meter World championships: New Gliders, Electric Power & Team Flying
Tony Condon
Tony shares his experience preparing for and flying in the 13.5 Meter World Gliding Championships in Lithuania. Get some insight into the pre-contest training and preparation, learn about flying an electric powered glider, see team flying in action, and relive the low points and the incredible joy experienced at the contest, including how Tony and his partner François pin got Team USA on the podium.
Old November 1st 16, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

On Tuesday, November 1, 2016 at 2:25:10 PM UTC-7, Sean Franke wrote:
[...]

Correction. This is DVD#14.

wings & wheels Boise Pilot Soaring 8 February 15th 15 04:44 AM
Wings and Wheels Greg Delp Soaring 24 November 13th 14 10:20 PM
Wings & Wheels is moving! Tim[_10_] Soaring 14 November 18th 13 10:49 PM
Wings & Wheels Want Ads Sean Franke Soaring 2 November 16th 13 01:20 PM
Nomination For Best Glider Pic on Wings & Wheels Headwind Soaring 7 June 30th 07 02:34 PM