Jet Arcus first soaring flight

Old October 18th 16, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Jet Arcus first soaring flight

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 8:04:47 PM UTC+3, wrote:
We are completely aware that turbine power has been added to gliders as far back as 1947. Indeed, Bob Carlton has researched and assembled a fine presentation on the history of jet gliders that he has presented at several SSA Conventions, as well as at Scaled Composites and a number of aviation seminars.

Bob has been flying jet powered gliders on the airshow circuit since 2004 (www.vertigoairshows.com) and began commercial development of variations as early as 2009 (www.desertaerospace.com).

The jet Arcus project is simply the latest in a line of developments going back to the Wright brothers' efforts to add a powerplant to a glider.

As far as we know, Dennis Tito's 4,000+ km in the first three flights of this modern glider with a sophisticated turbine from PBS represents a higher level of performance than previous attempts. We fully recognize and applaud earlier applications of turbines to gliders.

Didn't he previously do probably at least a 4000 km unpowered flight in just a few minutes, ending with a BRS landing in Kazakstan?

The L/D ratio was pretty ****ty, but the release altitude was unbeatable.
Old October 19th 16, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bruce-

Good one!

MSM
Old October 19th 16, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 12:38:47 PM UTC-6, Bruce Hoult wrote:
[...]

I am very sorry, but since this alleged flight that ended in Kazakhstan was not posted on the OLC, it did not happen.......and the moon landing in 1969, well that is another story...I have heard from unnamed sources that the Apollo 11 folks simply forgot their FAI approved logger....oh well...."The truth is out there......." ;-)
Old October 19th 16, 06:07 PM
JJJ JJJ is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
. . . Launching from Inyokern, CA at sunrise, Dennis and designer/copilot Bob Carlton powered up to 8,000 MSL and found the wave. . . .
Cool! Now we can have a glider be the towplane for another glider!
Old October 21st 16, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vernon Brown

At 04:43 21 October 2016, Eric Greenwell wrote:
JJJ wrote on 10/19/2016 10:07 AM:
;930557 Wrote:
. . . Launching from Inyokern, CA at sunrise, Dennis and
designer/copilot Bob Carlton powered up to 8,000 MSL and found the

wave.
. . .

Cool! Now we can have a glider be the towplane for another glider!

Shucks, my Phoenix came with a towhook! If only I know how to tow ...

email me)

I presume the jet used is bigger (more powerful) than that used in the
Ventus, and what is the fuel burn?

Old October 21st 16, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I will take a stab at this. This Arcus uses a 250 pound trust engine, not sure about a jet ventus but the JS-1 jet and 304 jet have about 80 pounds of trust.

Just recently heard that the jet sailplanes are not allowed in Europe due to the noise. Could be why Schempp and Schliecher had not been leading the development of jet sailplanes.

Old November 1st 16, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bertvaneyken

They are allowed ... but Europe is a crowded place, you just can't make that much noise overhead every airfield.

We have plenty noise abatement rules, curfews and airfields where engines are prohibited.

FES is much more sympathetic for the environment which is much more of a concern in Europe than in the US.