Rear view camera on tow plane

Old September 9th 18, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Rear view camera on tow plane

Anyone using a rear view camera in their tow plane? I know this has been covered before, but there has been a lot of changes in the technology. Our club is just finishing rebuilding our Pawnee. Instead of mounting mirror(s) we're considering using a temp installed camera with the monitor velcro'd to the panel.

We would be interested in hearing from anyone with experience with a camera system. What you used? How well it worked? Daylight visibility, etc.

Charlie
Old September 9th 18, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

One big issue is picking the right focal length and field of view. A lens that has an adequate field of view will probably show the glider as a tiny little speck. A lens that shows the glider at a reasonable size will probably have a narrow field of view. And of course, where the camera is pointed becomes an issue that cannot be resolved in flight. Screen brightness and vibration is the next thing to worry about.

All of these factors can be resolved, but there will probably be some experimentation needed, along with trying several different components. Good luck, and please report back with your results, both pro and con.

Mirrors are cheap, simple and reliable. Placement is a matter of preference.. I have seen tiny mirrors on the struts (probably useless), medium size on either side of the canopy frame (better) and one large mirror inside the cockpit high and as far forward as possible to keep it out of the normal forward line of sight and above the place your head would go in a rapid deceleration.
Old September 9th 18, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Yes, asked/sorta covered before. Last was a couple weeks ago, maybe by Bumper?

My only comment, I don't think a velcroed monitor is a great idea, a hard landing, turbulence or rough field will likely send it flying. Worse if it gets into controls. A RAM mount or similar should be considered.
Old September 9th 18, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 2:25:10 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

The rear view camera and screen that I have on my motorhome would work quite well - the view is pretty much the same as a mirror
Old September 9th 18, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Andddddd.........you're looking at maybe 30', how about 200'?
Dude, that is the issue. Focal length........
What looks OK at 30' is tiny at 200', what looks good at 200' goes off screen quick or is so small as to be worthless info.
Thus......multiple questions about this.

Frankly, maybe $20US for mirrors is likely the best bet for now.......

Rear view camera for tow plane? Waveguru Soaring 4 August 26th 18 04:17 AM
Looking for a source for this rear view mirror Gianni Isotope Soaring 10 March 25th 18 03:35 AM
de Havilland Humming Bird pics 2 [11/13] - THE D.H.53 Three-quarter rear view.jpg (1/1) Miloch Aviation Photos 0 August 10th 17 03:16 PM
Rear-view camera? Bob S Soaring 10 December 11th 13 05:15 PM
Rear View Cameras Ken Kochanski (KK) Soaring 8 June 12th 09 07:48 PM